Serge gate sequencer - patch suggestions

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Serge gate sequencer - patch suggestions

Post by Jonachi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:39 am

I've had a serge gate sequencer for quite some time. However, when patching it always ends up as a clock divider. I already have two clock dividers in my system so I feel I'm not getting a lot of milage out of it. I do understand however that a gate sequencer is a wonderful thing, I just don't know how to use it. I have a six panel system withe the usual stuff. Please give me some patch suggestions so I can get to learn this thing.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Serge gate sequencer - patch suggestions

Post by batchas » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Jonachi wrote:Please give me some patch suggestions
It depends how yours is.
Is it like this one, only single outs, no switch etc?
http://www.serge.synth.net/modules/r16_seq/mk3panel.jpg
FS: New Orgone Accumulator MK2 for BugBrand/FRAC
-----------------------------------
www.batchas.com

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Todd has a video using indiv. gate outputs on a TKB (which is the same as how the Gate Seq works). Maybe you see something you did not thought about:
www.batchas.com

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:36 pm

batchas wrote:Todd has a video using indiv. gate outputs on a TKB (which is the same as how the Gate Seq works). Maybe you see something you did not thought about:
Thanks batchas! And there is this one too:

:party:

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Serge gate sequencer - patch suggestions

Post by vgermuse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Jonachi wrote:Please give me some patch suggestions so I can get to learn this thing.
Here's a thought. Send different gates to trigger different shapes of envelopes via DUSGs. Send those outs to Waveshapers/Wavemultipliers, Filter Cutoffs, etc.

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Serge gate sequencer? :despair:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jonachi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 am

Yes, it is the gate sequencer without switch, just 10 gate outs with LEDs. It is on the edelweiss panel. I also have a tkb. Will try your suggestions, still pretty clueless how this is something different than a clock divider.

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:37 am

The output logic is totally different from a clock divider, isn't it?

With a clock divider, one output gives you a gate every two steps, another gives you a gate every four steps, and so on (depending on what divisions are available). On the gate sequencer, in 10 step mode, every output gives you a gate every ten steps, but the outputs are fired in sequence.

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jonachi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:12 am

Indeed. Tried some patches today and starting to get a hang of it!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 am

I wondered whether the outputs might be 'OR stackable' - sometimes diodes are put on outputs of such designs so that you can stack/combine several together - passive OR.

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jonachi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:24 pm

This is the cgs gate sequencer. Don't know its config but should be easy to find out.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Jonachi wrote:This is the cgs gate sequencer. Don't know its config but should be easy to find out.
It works :tu:
www.batchas.com

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Jonachi wrote:This is the cgs gate sequencer. Don't know its config but should be easy to find out.
viewtopic.php?t=79743
www.batchas.com

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Think of it as a timing generator for drums for example. Patch up 2 diff drummy sounds and trigger them. Break yourself from the divider mindset! This plus a few dusg's is a widely versatile combo! Wish I could patch that baby!
-steve

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jonachi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 am

BugBrand wrote:I wondered whether the outputs might be 'OR stackable' - sometimes diodes are put on outputs of such designs so that you can stack/combine several together - passive OR.
I understand this in theory but don't really know what it means in practice? Can you please describe how one patches to use this function? Stacking banans on top of eachother or something else?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 am

Say you take the 1st step and get it to trigger an envelope.. Beat occurs on 1st step of each seq run.
Now take, say, 5th step and patch that also to the envelope input - now you get two beats.
Or add steps 3 and 7
or...
Yes, just stack several together.

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jonachi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:27 am

Ok, got it! I will try it soon! Thanks for all the help. I know my DUSG's in and out but something like this I need some help with! :hihi:

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:19 pm

BugBrand wrote:Say you take the 1st step and get it to trigger an envelope.. Beat occurs on 1st step of each seq run.
Now take, say, 5th step and patch that also to the envelope input - now you get two beats.
Or add steps 3 and 7
or...
Yes, just stack several together.
Reviving this thread b/c I too was/am perplexed by the gate sequencer. Being relatively new to 4U Serge, my mind is not yet used to this kind of patch programming (i'm used to euro world where one input goes into one output)

I'm sure this explanation may be obvious others but I hadn't even thought of patching multiple gates sources into the same input until now. :doh:

If I ever get some good patches I'll try and post 'em.

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:21 am

Get a programmer ;)

qwoned
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwoned » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:41 am

cycad73 wrote:Get a programmer ;)
exactly—gate sequencer was mostly left unused for me (seldom used as a sequential mute or extra trigger source/s—the clock input will accept audio/cv, too, iirc) but once a programmer was introduced the reason for its existence became very clear. an elby es23 is a relatively inexpensive way to take advantage of this.

widdly
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by widdly » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:25 pm

You can run the outputs of the gate sequencer into a mixer and you get a cv sequencer.

mestlick
Common Wiggler

Post by mestlick » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am

You can run multiple outputs of the gate sequencer into one input, it will work as a wired OR. One downside of this is that you have to partition the stages among different trigger inputs, for example you if you have a bass drum and snare patched up you can't have them hit on the same beat (or they have to hit on all the same beats). If you use a peak-and-trough or a mixer to combine, you can have different destinations share some gate sequencer outputs because you're buffering the signals when combining them.

Some other uses for the gate sequencer:
Stage select for programmers, for example the 10 gate outputs can patch program complicated orders of 3 stages on a programmer.

Clock the gate sequencer with the same clock as another sequencer and reset the other sequencer with a different length (for example, make a 4 stage sequencer count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3 by programming the gate sequencer to count to 7 and resetting the 4 stage sequencer with the gate sequencer)

Use it to occasionally reset a separately clocked sequencer to a specific stage.

Variable length gate sequences, using a bidirectional router to chose which output goes to the reset input.

phisynth
banana nabab

Post by phisynth » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:35 pm

widdly wrote:You can run the outputs of the gate sequencer into a mixer and you get a cv sequencer.
not exactly, because it's one output at a time, so it won't do anything interesting through a mixer - but your idea works nicely with a pulse divider though, in case you miss a sequencer

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:12 pm

phisynth wrote:
widdly wrote:You can run the outputs of the gate sequencer into a mixer and you get a cv sequencer.
not exactly, because it's one output at a time, so it won't do anything interesting through a mixer - but your idea works nicely with a pulse divider though, in case you miss a sequencer
But more than one gate sequencer will do something interesting through 'gate mixers', i.e. logic. My COA5 panel does this. Great fun. :bananaguitar:
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

widdly
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by widdly » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:33 pm

phisynth wrote:
Since only one step is on at any one time and each gate output goes to it's own mixer input, the mixer levels sets the CV output for that step.

Here is an example of a six step CV sequencer....

For step 1, the top knob on the mixer sets the CV output of that step. For step 2, the second knob sets the CV output..and so on.

A pulse divider instead of the gate sequencer will allow longer sequences for the same number of mixer inputs. However it will be very difficult to tune to produce a specific sequence of notes. For example, if you wanted to play "On the Run" by Pink Floyd, the gate sequencer to mixer would be a better option than a pulse divider to mixer.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”