Serge panel damaged screws/threading problem

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Serge panel damaged screws/threading problem

Post by jamb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:36 am

Unfortunately I have a panel with two screws that have stripped threads. Not even sure how that happened... I think they were screwed in way too tight to begin with, so upon trying to open the chassis I discovered them. They just keep spinning and spinning, won't go it, won't come out... I bought an orange stick from mouser and tried to pry and unscrew but can't seem to get enough leverage from underneath to get the remaining thread to catch. Tricky scenario because I need to be very cautious not to defile the panel, hence the orange stick.

ANY tips or advice is much appreciated, I can't access the panel with these screws in the way, obviously. Frustrating. :bang:

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:54 am

Drill it out very carefully? :despair: (this was the only solution I remember someone else finding for the same problem).

Sorry to hear that, though. Very frustrating, indeed!

opsysbug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by opsysbug » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:03 pm

My Creature came from STS with those screwed screws. Some muscleman at the hardware store finally got them going. I think I remember that STS sends them out like that sometimes? :despair:

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 pm

opsysbug wrote:My Creature came from STS with those screwed screws. Some muscleman at the hardware store finally got them going. I think I remember that STS sends them out like that sometimes? :despair:
I've received them very tight before but never stripped. Definitely let Rex know.

opsysbug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by opsysbug » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Yes I just mean VERY tight as well.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:22 pm

I told Rex.. He wanted me to ship it back to him and have him take a look... of course at that point it turns into getting the entire panel serviced, a flat fee of $250... unggg. I suppose I could try to drill it out very carefully, time to buy a dewault and a tiny bit, perhaps.

tojpeters
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tojpeters » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Can you pry it up enough to slip a hacksaw blade between panel and boat and saw through it,using a screwdriver to keep it from spinning?
Maybe try a screw gun running fast while prying up?

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:50 am

thanks for the tips...don't think a hacksaw blade will fit, it barely comes up enough. Best I can do is get a precision screwdriver under, but holding it in place when I try to unscrew is really difficult. I've been advised maybe a dremel tool can safely shave off the screw head.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:46 am

i'll just take this thing to a dentist, think it's covered under my health insurance policy

tojpeters
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tojpeters » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 pm

Dremel tools suck.
They are made for very light hobby use,like balsa wood and styrofoam.
Grinding the head off without scratching the panel would be quite a challenge.
Drilling the head off the screw is probably the only choice.
Try masking tape all around the screw,then 2 sided tape and then a piece of popsicle stick with a guide hole in it. Hopefully if the drill slips you will only scratch the wood. A drill press would help.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:27 pm

jamb wrote:thanks for the tips...don't think a hacksaw blade will fit, it barely comes up enough. Best I can do is get a precision screwdriver under, but holding it in place when I try to unscrew is really difficult. I've been advised maybe a dremel tool can safely shave off the screw head.
A jeweler's hacksaw blade might fit. They're very small, not much bigger than a wire. I had some around, I'll see if I can find one, but it's doubtful. But I think it would be perfect and fit. Plus they're strong enough to even cut titanium sheets, so a screw should be no problem.

The thinnest one here is .0063"
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Herkul ... 0050?Pos=3

Maybe that's thin enough, got a gauge small enough to measure it?

Vsyevolod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:59 pm

So the issue which I haven't heard addressed here yet is that Rex has little threaded inserts installed in every hole in the top face of the boxes that he sells. It's these inserts which have come loose from the overtightening that has been applied. You will not be able to get the screw loose from the insert unless you can hold the insert still. Drilling out the screw is difficult because the screw is not stuck, it will spin when you try to drill it.

This is a major fail on the part of STS, they should oughta fix it for free and pay for shipping both ways IMHO, unless it was a user who overtightened the screws in the first place. Either way, it's a design flaw to have an insert which holds the possibility of stripping out from the box.

Yes, the screw can be removed. It probably will entail some form of either holding the insert so the screw can be turned or holding the head of the screw so the center can be drilled out or destroying the box to grind it out from below. Oh, and all this without scratching the panel...

What's so important inside that there box that you need to go poking your nose around for?

Stephen

Last edited by Vsyevolod on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:27 pm

i see... that sucks. i thought i heard something spinning around in there. rex also didn't mention this too me on the phone. so there is really no way to hold that insert still.

i was wanting to take the panel out to calibrate the WAD, even though I don't even think it needs it. Now I have two semi-loose screws which isn't a huge deal at all but it's certainly annoying to me. someday, someone will probably have to get in there to service the panel...

Vsyevolod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:18 am

jamb wrote:...so there is really no way to hold that insert still.
Not quite... it's just that it's a bitch to do.

Stephen

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”