Serge PS2A question

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

vegas7188
Common Wiggler

Serge PS2A question

Post by vegas7188 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 am

Hi all,

I have an Animal in a shallow boat and a Serge PSA2 powering it. I was just wondering how people tend to have the power distribution part, at the moment as i use the Animal just on my desk, the PSD just hangs off the back of the desk, and attaches to the power supply like that, which i feel is slightly inelegant. Also how safe is it to do this? Is it okay to touch the PSD while it is on?

At first i would disconnect the power supply from the PSD for storage, but the little connectors are quite stiff/not very easy to disconnect and was worried about damaging the PSD by yanking them to hard and they don't seemed designed to be regularly connected and disconnected like this.

So i guess i am asking is how do you guys deal with yours? i suppose its relatively unusual to just have one panel, and to move it around a bit, rather than have it stored in a fixed location (unfortunately i don't have room for this so need to store it elsewhere from where i use it).

Thanks
David

tojpeters
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tojpeters » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:55 am

You are right to be concerned.
Those cheap Molex connectors are designed for internal use only and are not meant to be regularly disconnected/connected.
It is OK touch the PSD while on but protect it from contact with something that could short it,metal or liquids for example

Vsyevolod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:31 pm

If you're just planning on having the one panel, you don't need a PSD. Just make up (or have one of us make up) a cable that goes 5 pin XLR (Rex's 'standard') to 4 pin Molex (Rex's other 'standard'). Always leave the Molex cable plugged in and use the XLR for connection/disconnection. They're designed for that purpose, unlike the Molex.

If you ever expand your system, it's worthwhile to consider a Random*Source PSU, as it uses 4 pin XLR (Ralf's 'standard'). There's 5 of them per PSU so you don't have to worry about a PSD. Just make up a bunch of 4 pin XLR to Molex cables.

Stephen

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:45 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Just make up a bunch of 4 pin XLR to Molex cables.
got a mouser part # for the wire for making these?

tojpeters
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tojpeters » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:16 pm

McMaster-Carr for the wire http://www.mcmaster.com/#7422K11

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:24 pm

thanks!

Vsyevolod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:51 pm

tojpeters wrote:McMaster-Carr for the wire http://www.mcmaster.com/#7422K11
Be aware that this wire is larger than the maximum that the XLR plug is designed for. You'll need to enlarge the rubber boot of the XLR as well as clip off some of the internal strain relief just to make it fit. That being said, it's extra size and robustness make it an excellent choice.

You'll also want a male Molex shroud:

Mouser # 571-7700751

with female pins:

Mouser # 571-7701461

The XLR needs to be 5 pin female:

Mouser # 568-NC5FXX-B (as one example)

Cheers,

Stephen

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”