STS Slipping Into The Shadows?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

STS Slipping Into The Shadows?

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 pm

So many companies are really pushing forward with sales, product development, promotions, and good websites which draw in new users and inspire current users. There's no official Serge website, Quadslope.com is officially gone, and this forum has become 85% Buchla(I love Buchla don't take that wrong). Maybe things are content for STS. And if that's the case I totally get it. But I hope things pick up in Serge/STS world. My Serge/Bug system would be the last system to go if I had to start selling things off so here's to hoping for a little boost in Serge Land. It would be great to see an increase in new Serge users and have this little corner of the modular world expand in numbers.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Look toward Random Source. :tu:
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Seems like Serge/STS panels and users have always been outsiders and this is a good thing! :tu:

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:07 pm

STS is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key.
wtb: silence

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:16 pm

Yeah there's definitely something enticing about the mysterious non-conventional things in life. And maybe that's something STS doesn't want to lose.

Never used the Random Source before. Maybe I'm too much of a control freak.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:Yeah there's definitely something enticing about the mysterious non-conventional things in life. And maybe that's something STS doesn't want to lose.

Scroll through this:

viewtopic.php?t=126206&postdays=0&posto ... c&start=40

rattlework
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rattlework » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Will Random Source provide built modules in the usa?
There are plenty of places to get diy serge but few companies that build them (4U).

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 pm

J3RK wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:Yeah there's definitely something enticing about the mysterious non-conventional things in life. And maybe that's something STS doesn't want to lose.

Scroll through this:

viewtopic.php?t=126206&postdays=0&posto ... c&start=40
Interesting! I didn't realize that's what you meant.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:57 pm

rattlework wrote:Will Random Source provide built modules in the usa?
There are plenty of places to get diy serge but few companies that build them (4U).
I know that this is the goal, but I don't want to speak out of turn either. Nordlead or Fonik would probably be better to ask the questions of. I'll be assisting with a few items, but it's still their show. :party:

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 pm

^^^^ that's cool and it's nice that there's options. I believe competition is good for business. But it kinda validates a need for STS to up their presence. Business wise that is.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:41 pm

STS…I definitely own some, I want some more but….
I am hoping to see tons of cool stuff in the 4x4s.

I think Rex has a business plan that seems to work, for what he wants. I believe that if he was really worried, he would make a web page and things like that.

Pfurmel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pfurmel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:14 am

Diy is the way to go if you want the serge experience. I have a creature/wad combi and then a few diy panels that I will keep adding to. There are plenty of builders out there if you can't diy(hint, facebook link in my sig :))

edit fot woeful smartphone spelling!

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:09 pm

I've heard from different wigglers that most other-than-sts serge modulars have lazier vca's. While sounding as good as sts, the demos I've heard from non-sts serge modulars are generally not as lively in terms of dynamics (this statement is very subjective I have to admit).

Some also mentionned that mixing sts with coa and cgs and other diy panels does not make a 100% integration.

These are some of my concerns for the moment.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:12 pm

Scories wrote:I've heard from different wigglers that most other-than-sts serge modulars have lazier vca's. While sounding as good as sts, the demos I've heard from non-sts serge modulars are generally not as lively in terms of dynamics (this statement is very subjective I have to admit).

Some also mentionned that mixing sts with coa and cgs and other diy panels does not make a 100% integration.

These are some of my concerns for the moment.
Cwejman Env / VCAs react very similarly to STS. Other than that I would say nothing else that I have used compares.

I would also agree that mixing Serge with 3rd party stuff doesn't yield the same results as using all Serge. I believe this has to do with gain staging, signal to noise, voltage levels, impedance, power supply levels, STS is optimized to work with STS, etc... That said, you can still get terrific and otherwise impossible results by mixing and matching.
wtb: silence

BooleanYulian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BooleanYulian » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:22 pm

I fully concur with this.. unfortunately little or no info is available to 3rd party folks for them to take all these points into consideration.. its intellectual property after all :)
sascha.victoria wrote:
I would also agree that mixing Serge with 3rd party stuff doesn't yield the same results as using all Serge. I believe this has to do with gain staging, signal to noise, voltage levels, impedance, power supply levels, STS is optimized to work with STS, etc... That said, you can still get terrific and otherwise impossible results by mixing and matching.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Scories wrote:I've heard from different wigglers that most other-than-sts serge modulars have lazier vca's.

I have yet to find VCA's more powerful and amazing than the ones on my STS panels. They've spoiled me rotten.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:38 pm

I lusted after Serge for years and recently my lust came true. I was really enjoying the wealth of info over at quadslope, sad to see it gone. I really couldn't be happier with my system and it has brought back the feeling of excitement and learning which for me was such an amazing part of getting into modular. I hoping to start recording audio and video more now that my interface is up and running again and I plan to share here.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:05 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Scories wrote:I've heard from different wigglers that most other-than-sts serge modulars have lazier vca's.
I have yet to find VCA's more powerful and amazing than the ones on my STS panels. They've spoiled me rotten.
Indeed. Otherwise, I would have gone clone a good while ago.

@Sascha : Interesting, I might keep an hear on Cwejman. Though I'd still prefer those multi-functionnal building block that you get with Serge.

DrOctave
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DrOctave » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:34 am

the cgs vca is kinda bad to be honest. the sts vca is nice and has alot of headroom.
It's beter to have cords and not need them than to need them and not have them.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DrOctave1?feature=mhum

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:36 am

aethyr wrote:Seems like Serge/STS panels and users have always been outsiders and this is a good thing! :tu:
Please explain as to how this relates to the OP and why you believe that it is a good thing in accordance with the explanation or as it pertains to some other held belief.

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:50 am

I don't think it's slipping away, anyone serious about modular synthesizers are more than aware of Serge and STS. I met Rob Hordijk at the start of the year and he is very content running a small hand made operation. Hordijk doesn't advertise at all and does very well, he takes the orders he wants and works when he wants and makes fantastic synths. Up scaling = more responsibility and less freedom.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

^ spot on.
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:19 pm

DrOctave wrote:the cgs vca is kinda bad to be honest. the sts vca is nice and has alot of headroom.
This CGS VCA that has a bad reputation is CGS64, but Ken also does the Serge VCAs: CGS101, 102 and 108.
wavecircle wrote:I met Rob Hordijk at the start of the year and he is very content running a small hand made operation. Hordijk doesn't advertise at all and does very well, he takes the orders he wants and works when he wants and makes fantastic synths. Up scaling = more responsibility and less freedom.
I have a Hordijk system. There's definitely a lot to be said for dealing directly with the guy who designed and made it. I don't have any STS, but, as a very happy Hordijk customer, the flack Rex gets for the way he chooses to run his business seems a little mystifying.
Last edited by ear ear on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:26 pm

ear ear wrote:
DrOctave wrote:the cgs vca is kinda bad to be honest. the sts vca is nice and has alot of headroom.
This CGS VCA that has a bad reputation is CGS64, but Ken also does the Serge VCAs: CGS101, 102 and 108.
Is CGS102 the same as STS X-Fader VCA?

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Scories wrote:
ear ear wrote:
Is CGS102 the same as STS X-Fader VCA?
I don't have any of these CGS/Serge VCAs (yet), but reading the CGS102 page it would seem that CGS102 itself is not a VCA, but a sub-module to achieve VC panning - rather than cross-fading - when combined with the CGS108 VCA.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”