Fiesta Red... or is it just Orange?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Broadwave
Common Wiggler

Fiesta Red... or is it just Orange?

Post by Broadwave » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:44 am

I'm just finishing off a new build... I bought the strat body as "Fiesta Red", but now I'm not so sure that it is.

To my eyes in normal daylight, it's distinctly orange, but when photographed the colour turns much redder and becomes the "Fiesta Red" I thought I was buying. Has anybody else had this experience with FR?

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Fiesta Red... or is it just Orange?

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:23 am

Broadwave wrote:I'm just finishing off a new build... I bought the strat body as "Fiesta Red", but now I'm not so sure that it is.

To my eyes in normal daylight, it's distinctly orange, but when photographed the colour turns much redder and becomes the "Fiesta Red" I thought I was buying. Has anybody else had this experience with FR?

Yup. Sure have. I guess it looks a bit like hot sauce, hence ~fiesta red~ ....

:despair:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

JAO
Common Wiggler

Post by JAO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:04 am

I suspect the "fiesta" reference is associated with the fiesta ware style of glazed dinnerware from the mid 20th century, which at that time included oxidized uranium in the paint composition.

Needless to say, the coloring has since been reformulated.

If you do a search for "red fiesta ware" you will see that it appears quite often as orange.

How radioactive is fiesta ware?

edit: The color might be more car related than dinnerware related. Fiesta red was a color used by ford for the '56 Thunderbird. I wonder if ford also used oxidized uranium in that paint.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:01 am

I've found that with Fiesta "Red" too. It photographs more reddish than it looks in person. I've always found it a disappointing colour in real life.

Broadwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Broadwave » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 pm

JAO wrote:I suspect the "fiesta" reference is associated with the fiesta ware style of glazed dinnerware from the mid 20th century, which at that time included oxidized uranium in the paint composition.
Yup, same colour as these Fiesta Ware jugs... or Heinz Tomato Soup :hihi:

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Be careful with Fiestaware stuff..

Fiestaware

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:49 pm

You're extremely unlikely to get any of that old radioactive fiesta ware stuff these days. Collectors have all that original stuff boxed up, and it's been so popular since that unintended bit of publicity that it's been reissued 100's of times since then, with a completely boring nonradioactive finish.

As for the fender version - yes, it seems to be a problematical color. It reacts to light in different ways, so it'll look red in the store under incandescents, but look orangeish at home under flourescents. Or vice versa. And reds can get shifted around quite a bit by the auto white balance setting that most cameras have by default.

Back in 1989 I fell in love with a fender strat plus they had in the window of a local music store. Fiesta red, wilkinson bridge and roller nut, lace sensor pickups, it played and sounded great, and looked fantastic. A week or so later I went to buy it, and they had moved it out of the window, and it looked like this weird faded orange thing, and didn't sound nearly as good as a result. I ended up getting a strat HM instead, which may or may not have been a better choice anyway.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:09 pm

sduck wrote:You're extremely unlikely to get any of that old radioactive fiesta ware stuff these days.
did find a plate a few years ago, and it does set off my geiger counter!

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:23 am

Fiesta Red was a car paint colour, used on the 1956 Ford Firebird. Fender used paints from DuPont's Duco and Lucite lines, which were used on cars in the '50s and '60s.

drift
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drift » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:32 am

1956 Ford Thunderbird, fiesta red

https://www.amosminter.com/Fiesta_Red_1956_332.php

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:06 am

My previous post is a good example why you need to be a bit more careful posting at night. Saw Thunderbird over and over, and it still came out as Firebird. :doh:

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:47 pm

My strat is fiesta red and it's never looked particularly orange, I wonder how big the tolerance is for variations from one spray job to the next with it still being labelled as being the same colour.
Avant Garde a clue

Broadwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Broadwave » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:04 am

I managed an acurate colour pic with my old Canon camera - As I said, more orange than red.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:28 am

Think you've got enough Strats there?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:15 am

commodorejohn wrote:Think you've got enough Strats there?
Looks like a good start. :bananaguitar:
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Broadwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Broadwave » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:04 am

sduck wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Think you've got enough Strats there?
Looks like a good start. :bananaguitar:
:hihi:

True, I don't need all of them. I'm keeping the self-build and the Fender Plus Top... the two Squiers on the right are being replaced with a Player Jazzmaster.

And then I promise never, ever to buy another guitar :guitar:

littlejohn87
Learning to Wiggle

Post by littlejohn87 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:26 pm

My understanding about Fiesta Red is that there is no real consensus on what the guitar color should look like. It is one of my favorite classic Fender colors, but if you look at pictures of those vintage instruments they range from pink to closer to Dakota Red. Kind of like the butterscotch blonde teles, I think the fading over the years has obscured what the original color truly looked like, and now when we compare to the vintage instruments for comparison we have a skewed reference. Here is an interesting article on the Fiesta Red color: https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... d.html?m=1

That said, if you look at the ReRanch paint website, they sell a color called Fiesta Red in the custom Fender color category that appears more red, and a Coral Pink in the ReRanch Custom Color category that appears more orange/pink. They even describe the Coral Pink as trying to mimic the faded pink/orange color of originally Fiesta Red guitars.

Bottom line though, I think it looks great!

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Red is just orange with more blue. Just play more blues on it and it will turn out like you want it. Or something. I’m not a scientist.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”