Frankenguitars, partscasters and other bastards

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:35 pm

sduck wrote:You've got to see ^this guy's^ wiring to believe it - he's one of the masters of wiring. Waiting to see a bit more of it in person, myself...
Oh .. I see what you did there.

:lol:

And thank you for the compliment, Steve.

:oops:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.

Shrigg
Common Wiggler

Post by Shrigg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Here's a Tele build that I built: (SOLD) https://reverb.com/item/1018073-luthier ... an-pickups

- Shop-built Pine body
- Allparts "FAT" neck
- Bigsby vibrato
- TV Jones neck pickup
- Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup
- 500K volume and 250K tone CTS pots
- 7.5 lb.
- Seafoam green paint
- Everything mildly reliced
- Killer setup

A great Tele!

Last edited by Shrigg on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oberheim Xpander w/ Oddernmart Xpander Xpansion / Octatrack / Digitakt / virus ti2 desktop / TT-303 mk.2 / TT-606 / Nord Lead 12 voice expanded / Emax II rack / blofeld keys / micromonsta / little phatty stage 2 [for sale] / moxf8 / minilogue / bs2 / OP-1 / organelle / pocket piano / axoloti + push / mfb-522 / circuit / volca sample

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 pm

So I've gone lightly insane and decided to try building a guitar body myself. Mainly my goal is to turn my Telecaster clone into a Telecaster Thinline clone, because I tried one of those and liked it but I don't want to shell out for the name brand when I've already got a perfectly decent clone (and Squier doesn't seem to offer a Thinline that isn't dual-humbucker shy of this beast, at which point you might as well just front the extra couple hundred for a Fender anyway.)

Anyway, not much to show for it at this point because I'm only in the planning-and-acquisition stage - I've got a three-piece swamp ash blank ordered and a decent little pair of 1/8" flame maple slabs for the top, but I've yet to proceed to any of the actual work. Current plan is to simply trace the outline of the current body on the wood and hit up a friend with a jigsaw to shape the body, at which point I'll only have hours upon hours of routing, drilling, assembling, sanding, and finishing left to go :lol:

Anyway, I'm curious to hear advice or opinions from anybody here who's done this kind of thing. In particular, I'm a little concerned about doing the top right, as the maple pieces are very slightly bowed in the middle (as you get with large, thin boards.) This is largely just something that should be taken care of with a good job of gluing and proper application of clamps while the glue sets, right? I'd hate to get it all assembled only to have the top decide to separate from the rest of the body.

The other thing I'm curious to hear opinions on is the finish. It seems like it would be silly to not do a nice burst finish with a flame-maple top, but I'm torn on what kind of color would be a good look for it. This is how it looks now; obviously I'm not married to the natural-finish ash look, and I'll probably pick up a white or pearloid pickguard, but whatever I go with will need to go with the bound maple-on-maple neck, because I'm not replacing that. I know tobacco-burst is a classic look for Fenders, but my Jazz Bass clone already has that; I know Les Paul-style sunburst is a classic look for flame maple, but my Epiphone LP already has that. I've kinda been thinking a darker blue at the edges fading to a lighter silvery blue at the center, but I'm not sure if that'd look silly on a Tele body or not; the other thought I had was some kind of green, but I don't want the "lizard" look a lot of modern guitars seem to go with for their green - maye something a little forest-ier, with a bit closer to vintage Telecaster seafoam green at the center? I dunno. Curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

ChevChelios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ChevChelios » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:46 pm

commodrejohn, please keep us updated on your build. I am planning something similar myself though not nearly as ambitious as building a thinline body from scratch.

I'm still in the research phase but the plan is this:

squire affinity tele neck (I've become fond of this neck overtime for some reason)
+
Warmoth roasted swamp ash tele body with tummy + forearm contour + contoured heel

I'm shooting for a natural/unfinished look so I'm planning on doing just a couple of coats of tru-oil on the body. I'm undecided if I want to strip the finish on the neck and finish with tru-oil. will probably go with a vintage/cream pearloid pickgaurd and DiMarzio Twang Kings.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Definitely :D Fortunately, the Tele body design is about as simple as you can get, and I'm going the wasteful-but-easy route and routing out the hollow sections from a thick-ass slab rather than doing something like trying to shape separate side pieces, so I don't think it should be super difficult. I do think in retrospect that I ought to have gone with a 1/4" top, but after talking with some folks on a DIY forum I think I can make the 1/8" work just fine with appropriate support structures underneath.

Currently leaning towards the forest-green burst idea, but that's a ways off yet.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Broadwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Broadwave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:55 am

There's no better feeling that modding or building your own guitar :grin:

PartsCaster with 3x Rail Humbuckers with coil split via push/pull pots

Clapton "Crash 1" - Modified Squier Standard Coil taps @ roughly 7K/11k via Push/Pull pots

12 string Tele Kit - Bookmatched Flamed Mahogany top with chrome binding

"El Gringo" Made from the cheapest parts I could find - No frills £83

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:50 am

Oh my is that 12-string Tele a sexy beast :)

Still need to get working on my thinline Tele project, myself...life has kind of gotten in the way even though I have all the materials...

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Those are some handsome guitars.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 am

commodorejohn wrote:So I've gone lightly insane and decided to try building a guitar body myself. Mainly my goal is to turn my Telecaster clone into a Telecaster Thinline clone, because I tried one of those and liked it but I don't want to shell out for the name brand when I've already got a perfectly decent clone (and Squier doesn't seem to offer a Thinline that isn't dual-humbucker shy of this beast, at which point you might as well just front the extra couple hundred for a Fender anyway.)

Anyway, not much to show for it at this point because I'm only in the planning-and-acquisition stage - I've got a three-piece swamp ash blank ordered and a decent little pair of 1/8" flame maple slabs for the top, but I've yet to proceed to any of the actual work. Current plan is to simply trace the outline of the current body on the wood and hit up a friend with a jigsaw to shape the body, at which point I'll only have hours upon hours of routing, drilling, assembling, sanding, and finishing left to go :lol:

Anyway, I'm curious to hear advice or opinions from anybody here who's done this kind of thing. In particular, I'm a little concerned about doing the top right, as the maple pieces are very slightly bowed in the middle (as you get with large, thin boards.) This is largely just something that should be taken care of with a good job of gluing and proper application of clamps while the glue sets, right? I'd hate to get it all assembled only to have the top decide to separate from the rest of the body.

The other thing I'm curious to hear opinions on is the finish. It seems like it would be silly to not do a nice burst finish with a flame-maple top, but I'm torn on what kind of color would be a good look for it. This is how it looks now; obviously I'm not married to the natural-finish ash look, and I'll probably pick up a white or pearloid pickguard, but whatever I go with will need to go with the bound maple-on-maple neck, because I'm not replacing that. I know tobacco-burst is a classic look for Fenders, but my Jazz Bass clone already has that; I know Les Paul-style sunburst is a classic look for flame maple, but my Epiphone LP already has that. I've kinda been thinking a darker blue at the edges fading to a lighter silvery blue at the center, but I'm not sure if that'd look silly on a Tele body or not; the other thought I had was some kind of green, but I don't want the "lizard" look a lot of modern guitars seem to go with for their green - maye something a little forest-ier, with a bit closer to vintage Telecaster seafoam green at the center? I dunno. Curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
the thinline is made just as you describe. except that it is routed from the back (like rickenbackers thinline's). so that nice maple will not be visible from the front. or you could just cut thru the whole body: use the maple up front and something else for the back.
for finish i use oil (the only disadvantage is you have to get rid of any old finish there might be). my own mix of lineseed and tung. with a shot of orangeoil to make it a bit thinner and nicer smelling (tung oil somehow smells like barbeque). this works very nice and is easy to do. no need for a dustfree environment. but i've done repairs with spray cans. that's ok too (and dries faster) but tricky to keep really clean. i do it outside. (also against the nasty chemical smell). but oil feels better to me. and it shows the woodgrain nicely. plus you can colour it (with oil paint). i've used nitro on one guitar but that gives you a nasty headache (and possibly more). no wonder it has been banned.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Oh my is that 12-string Tele a sexy beast :)
They all look great, but that one is my fave out of that group too.
Member of Alliance for Synth Farting

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”