[ORDER] ARP Odyssey Mk II/III VCO PCBs/Panels

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
dogmeat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: New Belgrade, Serbia

Post by dogmeat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:03 pm

i have a question, as i seriously think of building these OSCs...
basically where is the outrage towards the 49.9k resistors?!?!? rly? 88.7k? how precise do these things need to be? i get it that the guy who cloned it measured actual components in his ody, but how much wiggle room do i have for these things until everything starts falling apart????

User avatar
aL Pariah
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: Stratford upon Avon, England.

Post by aL Pariah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 pm

dogmeat wrote:i have a question, as i seriously think of building these OSCs...
basically where is the outrage towards the 49.9k resistors?!?!? rly? 88.7k? how precise do these things need to be? i get it that the guy who cloned it measured actual components in his ody, but how much wiggle room do i have for these things until everything starts falling apart????
For the 49.9k, a 50k should be within the 1% tolerance. Finding something very close to 49.9k in a pack of 50k resistors, I don't think would take too long anyway.

I had no 88.7k, and no resistors within tolerance in stock, closest was an 82k, so just bought some 88.7s.

I don't know the tolerance of the circuit itself though. :oops:


I resisted resistor outage outrage. :mad: :hihi:

.
Last edited by aL Pariah on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
aL Pariah
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: Stratford upon Avon, England.

Post by aL Pariah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Sorry, double posted.
Last edited by aL Pariah on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aL Pariah
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: Stratford upon Avon, England.

Post by aL Pariah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:29 pm

frequencycentral wrote:
aL Pariah wrote:What is the switch I need to get, please?

An SPDT on-off?
You need an SPDT, wired as outlined a few posts up.
Cheers. :tu:

User avatar
dogmeat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: New Belgrade, Serbia

Post by dogmeat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm

aL Pariah wrote:
dogmeat wrote: I had no 88.7k, and no resistors within tolerance in stock, closest was an 82k, so just bought some 88.7s.
.
:woah: :mad: :bang:
shit...just looked it up....you can actually buy 88.7k resistor.... i think i'll devise some serial high-fiving resistors

User avatar
steffensen
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by steffensen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 am

These VCO's are quite forgiving regarding Resistor values actually. I would stay within the 1% tolerance if possible tho.

User avatar
home_listening
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:05 am
Location: locating
Contact:

Post by home_listening » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:31 pm

steffensen wrote:These VCO's are quite forgiving regarding Resistor values actually. I would stay within the 1% tolerance if possible tho.
I've just finished off two, one with strict 0.1% metal film 1/2watt resistors and another with loosey goosey 5% carbon 1/4watt resistors. Just to see how they compare. I'm much more into the loosey goosey

User avatar
steffensen
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by steffensen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:53 pm

home_listening wrote:
steffensen wrote:These VCO's are quite forgiving regarding Resistor values actually. I would stay within the 1% tolerance if possible tho.
I've just finished off two, one with strict 0.1% metal film 1/2watt resistors and another with loosey goosey 5% carbon 1/4watt resistors. Just to see how they compare. I'm much more into the loosey goosey
Oh, nice! I tinkered with the thought of doing that myself. Ill build some more i guess and try this out. Would love to hear some audio with'em. :)

User avatar
home_listening
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:05 am
Location: locating
Contact:

Post by home_listening » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:12 am

Yeah, will definitely do at some point. Finishing off a few builds at the moment so no time to play!
steffensen wrote:
home_listening wrote:
steffensen wrote:These VCO's are quite forgiving regarding Resistor values actually. I would stay within the 1% tolerance if possible tho.
I've just finished off two, one with strict 0.1% metal film 1/2watt resistors and another with loosey goosey 5% carbon 1/4watt resistors. Just to see how they compare. I'm much more into the loosey goosey
Oh, nice! I tinkered with the thought of doing that myself. Ill build some more i guess and try this out. Would love to hear some audio with'em. :)

hv0190
Common Wiggler
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:52 am
Location: Munich

Post by hv0190 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 am

I've already built two Odyssey VCOs, and while both work nicely, track perfectly and sound just great (I'm using a +/- 12V power supply) there is one thing I just don't understand:
The saw wave is supposed to be 0-6V, however my saw is 0,5V - 5,5V ... can any fellow wiggler confirm my readings? Any idea why that is :despair:
... circuits without opamps are still somewhat mysterious for me ... :hmm:

User avatar
Juxwl
Come for our...uhhh...corn?
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by Juxwl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 am

reggiechacha wrote:I've been trouble shooting this project for a few hours now. I'm not getting any output, and my scope isn't showing any wave shapes. There are low voltages on the saw out put of about 0.7v and nothing from the square output. When I add a LFO in to the CV2 input you can here the pulse/click.

Andy
Have you had any luck troubleshooting the oscillators? I had the exact thing going on with both of my oscillators. No sound out of either, did the same measurements and came up with roughly the same voltages that you got.

I just got mine both working last night. What I found was my problem was a short (or possibly etching fault) under the 2N3906 right above the 16.5K resistor. The traces are very close and both of my boards were shorted at that point. A razorblade and re-soldering fixed the problem.

Also, I confirmed that LM3046 do work in place of CA3086.

User avatar
scorbie
Common Wiggler
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:42 am
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by scorbie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Is this still available?
Sent an email.
Cheers!

User avatar
frequencycentral
Kicking the shit out of your speakers
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Rick, FC>UK
Contact:

Post by frequencycentral » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Sorry, a year late to the party on this one. Emailed back at ya out of politeness.

User avatar
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Post by mOBiTh » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 pm

why have i not bloody built mine yet? :hmm:

User avatar
scorbie
Common Wiggler
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:42 am
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by scorbie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:12 pm

I've managed to get a mate to etch me the pcbs from the schematics from this thread and I couldn't be happier.
Soon I will do my own!

Was wondering if anyone had any really good, detailed pics of their pcb build for reference?

It would be much appreciated as I'm relatively new at DIY with a few successful builds under my belt.
Well, dress really. :) :guinness:


cheers
scorbie

User avatar
cleaninglady
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1271
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: creeping up behind you

Post by cleaninglady » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:19 am

Sorry to raise the Dead...but can i ask what the orientation of a 2n3906 would be on this diagram if used to replace a 2n5910 ?

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-fi ... co_126.pdf

I've had this VCO hanging around for a year or so needing just one part and i want to get it going.

User avatar
diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: melbourne

Post by diablojoy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:50 am

hmm this should help

Image

Image

2n5910 pic is curtesy of andy
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.

User avatar
cleaninglady
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1271
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: creeping up behind you

Post by cleaninglady » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:14 am

No worries , thanks heaps diablojoy ! :sb:

So , i should be installing those 2n3906's with the flat face pointing up, towards the power header.

I had them pointing down ; which the PCB holes 'sort of' suggested but then again a few of the others were upside down so...

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”