[ORDER] ARP Odyssey Mk II/III VCO PCBs/Panels

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dogmeat
Common Wiggler

Post by dogmeat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:03 pm

i have a question, as i seriously think of building these OSCs...
basically where is the outrage towards the 49.9k resistors?!?!? rly? 88.7k? how precise do these things need to be? i get it that the guy who cloned it measured actual components in his ody, but how much wiggle room do i have for these things until everything starts falling apart????

aL Pariah
Common Wiggler

Post by aL Pariah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 pm

dogmeat wrote:i have a question, as i seriously think of building these OSCs...
basically where is the outrage towards the 49.9k resistors?!?!? rly? 88.7k? how precise do these things need to be? i get it that the guy who cloned it measured actual components in his ody, but how much wiggle room do i have for these things until everything starts falling apart????
For the 49.9k, a 50k should be within the 1% tolerance. Finding something very close to 49.9k in a pack of 50k resistors, I don't think would take too long anyway.

I had no 88.7k, and no resistors within tolerance in stock, closest was an 82k, so just bought some 88.7s.

I don't know the tolerance of the circuit itself though. :oops:

I resisted resistor outage outrage. :mad: :hihi:

Last edited by aL Pariah on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aL Pariah
Common Wiggler

Post by aL Pariah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Sorry, double posted.
Last edited by aL Pariah on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aL Pariah
Common Wiggler

Post by aL Pariah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:29 pm

frequencycentral wrote:
aL Pariah wrote:What is the switch I need to get, please?

An SPDT on-off?
You need an SPDT, wired as outlined a few posts up.
Cheers. :tu:

dogmeat
Common Wiggler

Post by dogmeat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm

aL Pariah wrote:
dogmeat wrote: I had no 88.7k, and no resistors within tolerance in stock, closest was an 82k, so just bought some 88.7s.
:woah: :mad: :bang:
shit...just looked it up....you can actually buy 88.7k resistor.... i think i'll devise some serial high-fiving resistors

steffensen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by steffensen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 am

These VCO's are quite forgiving regarding Resistor values actually. I would stay within the 1% tolerance if possible tho.

home_listening
Veteran Wiggler

Post by home_listening » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:31 pm

steffensen wrote:These VCO's are quite forgiving regarding Resistor values actually. I would stay within the 1% tolerance if possible tho.
I've just finished off two, one with strict 0.1% metal film 1/2watt resistors and another with loosey goosey 5% carbon 1/4watt resistors. Just to see how they compare. I'm much more into the loosey goosey

steffensen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by steffensen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:53 pm

home_listening wrote:
steffensen wrote:These VCO's are quite forgiving regarding Resistor values actually. I would stay within the 1% tolerance if possible tho.
I've just finished off two, one with strict 0.1% metal film 1/2watt resistors and another with loosey goosey 5% carbon 1/4watt resistors. Just to see how they compare. I'm much more into the loosey goosey
Oh, nice! I tinkered with the thought of doing that myself. Ill build some more i guess and try this out. Would love to hear some audio with'em. :)

home_listening
Veteran Wiggler

Post by home_listening » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:12 am

Yeah, will definitely do at some point. Finishing off a few builds at the moment so no time to play!
steffensen wrote:
home_listening wrote:
Oh, nice! I tinkered with the thought of doing that myself. Ill build some more i guess and try this out. Would love to hear some audio with'em. :)

hv0190
Common Wiggler

Post by hv0190 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 am

I've already built two Odyssey VCOs, and while both work nicely, track perfectly and sound just great (I'm using a +/- 12V power supply) there is one thing I just don't understand:
The saw wave is supposed to be 0-6V, however my saw is 0,5V - 5,5V ... can any fellow wiggler confirm my readings? Any idea why that is :despair:
... circuits without opamps are still somewhat mysterious for me ... :hmm:

Juxwl
Come for our...uhhh...corn?

Post by Juxwl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 am

reggiechacha wrote:I've been trouble shooting this project for a few hours now. I'm not getting any output, and my scope isn't showing any wave shapes. There are low voltages on the saw out put of about 0.7v and nothing from the square output. When I add a LFO in to the CV2 input you can here the pulse/click.

Andy
Have you had any luck troubleshooting the oscillators? I had the exact thing going on with both of my oscillators. No sound out of either, did the same measurements and came up with roughly the same voltages that you got.

I just got mine both working last night. What I found was my problem was a short (or possibly etching fault) under the 2N3906 right above the 16.5K resistor. The traces are very close and both of my boards were shorted at that point. A razorblade and re-soldering fixed the problem.

Also, I confirmed that LM3046 do work in place of CA3086.

scorbie
Common Wiggler

Post by scorbie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Is this still available?
Sent an email.
Cheers!

frequencycentral
Kicking the shit out of your speakers

Post by frequencycentral » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Sorry, a year late to the party on this one. Emailed back at ya out of politeness.

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 pm

why have i not bloody built mine yet? :hmm:

scorbie
Common Wiggler

Post by scorbie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:12 pm

I've managed to get a mate to etch me the pcbs from the schematics from this thread and I couldn't be happier.
Soon I will do my own!

Was wondering if anyone had any really good, detailed pics of their pcb build for reference?

It would be much appreciated as I'm relatively new at DIY with a few successful builds under my belt.
Well, dress really. :) :guinness:

cheers
scorbie

cleaninglady
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cleaninglady » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:19 am

Sorry to raise the Dead...but can i ask what the orientation of a 2n3906 would be on this diagram if used to replace a 2n5910 ?

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-fi ... co_126.pdf

I've had this VCO hanging around for a year or so needing just one part and i want to get it going.

diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diablojoy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:50 am

hmm this should help

2n5910 pic is curtesy of andy
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.

cleaninglady
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cleaninglady » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:14 am

No worries , thanks heaps diablojoy ! :sb:

So , i should be installing those 2n3906's with the flat face pointing up, towards the power header.

I had them pointing down ; which the PCB holes 'sort of' suggested but then again a few of the others were upside down so...

Return to “Music Tech DIY”