Ambika - Mutable Instruments poly synth.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Ambika - Mutable Instruments poly synth.

Post by oootini » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 am

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:36 am

Interesting, I might have to buy this kit. I was always curious about the shruthi but having a modular didn't really feel the need for a limited interface monosynth and knew it would be neglected. Polyphonic on the other hand is really nice...

I am curious if owners of the shruthi could comment on the user interface. I built a sammich sid a while back and I really didn't like the interface. It wasn't just that it was an LCD with a few knobs but the various pages, names of controls and such were illogical to me. For a point of comparison, The mopho has a similar interface but it made sense to me and was easily usable. I would be curious to hear other peoples thoughts.

Barcode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Barcode » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:51 am

I have a Shruthi-1 with the IR3109 and 2 more completed filter boards(SM4 and Polivoks) waiting for digital boards. When I first started reading about the Shruthi I was pretty skeptical about the interface, but I must say it isn't bad at all. Each button across the bottom accesses each section of the synth.... First: Osc / Wave forms, Second: filter, ect ect... There really isn't menu diving. All the parameters can also accessed from the encoder next to the lcd. I also like the ability to run other synths ect thru the filter. I plan on building the new Ambika when it becomes available. I actually pretty excited about it!

@Rod Serling Fan Club: I know you live pretty close to me, so if you want to check out the Shruthi-1 let me know.

jumunius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jumunius » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:20 am

I have a new Shruthi and a new-ish Mopho. I'm not great at programming either yet but I will say one nice thing about the Shruthi is the buttons allowing you to access different sections of the synth. I dislike turning the encoder forever on the Mopho to scroll through options (even though otherwise I think the interface works and makes sense). I wish the Shruthi had a software programmer too though, as I plan to get the one for the Mopho to speed things up. But if you are ok w/ the Mopho you'd probably approve of the Shruthi.

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 am

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:Interesting, I might have to buy this kit. I was always curious about the shruthi but having a modular didn't really feel the need for a limited interface monosynth and knew it would be neglected. Polyphonic on the other hand is really nice...
+1
There aren't (m)any hardware polyphonic synths available to the DIY community (that I'm aware of).
After becoming so immersed, and satisfied, with DIY, I feel reluctant to buy anything pre-assembled unless it's something quite special (and even then my budget is limited as it's mostly spent on components).

I get the impression this would be a nice little synth to gig with (in a band setting and/or with a modular), but with enough depth to explore and without overlapping too much of the modular's territory.

I'd perhaps be tempted to build it into a case with a 3+ octave keyboard, as I don't use MIDI or computers.
Hmmm....

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:47 am

Barcode wrote: @Rod Serling Fan Club: I know you live pretty close to me, so if you want to check out the Shruthi-1 let me know.
I might have to take you up on that offer. I'd be curious to see your modular too.
jumunius wrote:I have a new Shruthi and a new-ish Mopho. I'm not great at programming either yet but I will say one nice thing about the Shruthi is the buttons allowing you to access different sections of the synth. I dislike turning the encoder forever on the Mopho to scroll through options (even though otherwise I think the interface works and makes sense). I wish the Shruthi had a software programmer too though, as I plan to get the one for the Mopho to speed things up. But if you are ok w/ the Mopho you'd probably approve of the Shruthi.
It sounds like your prefer programming the shruthi to the mopho, which is definitely a good sign. It also looks like you get more knobs with the polyphonic version. Yeah the mopho isn't fun to program but it made sense to me. I didn't really have a problem sitting down with it and doing what I wanted.

L-1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L-1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 am

Interesting. I want!

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:21 am

The following was originally posted by hpsounds in another thread.
==========

Here is the new SDIY synth from Mutable Instruments : Ambika

:hyper: :sb: :tu: :bananaguitar: :nana: :banana: :love:

… and this time it is polyphonic! It looks as a Shruthi-1 on steroïd!

More information here : http://mutable-instruments.net/node/11719

You can also read here how Ambika was born : http://mutable-instruments.net/node/11720

Pichenettes/Olivier (the head behind Mutable instruments) rocks !!!! :yay: :nana: :party:

Hédi K.

Barcode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Barcode » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:36 am

jumunius wrote:I wish the Shruthi had a software programmer too though, as I plan to get the one for the Mopho to speed things up.
I ran across a couple software editors on the MI forms a while back. I downloaded them but never installed.

I sold my Mopho exactly for that reason... the encoder driven menus drove me nuts!

jumunius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jumunius » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Barcode wrote: I ran across a couple software editors on the MI forms a while back. I downloaded them but never installed.

I sold my Mopho exactly for that reason... the encoder driven menus drove me nuts!
I'll have to look for the Shruthi programmers. I should say, one plus of the Mopho over the Shruthi is the 4 assignable knobs on top of the common four you'd always want -- that means 8 useful knobs.

defenestration
Veteran Wiggler

Post by defenestration » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm

I'll only dive into the tetr4 for only fairly basic sound editing, and assigning performance knobs - any deeper patch editing is generally done on the software editor unless I'm feeling a particular taste for tedium

the shruthi-1 on the other hand I quite enjoy mucking about with it, hands-on is part of the appeal - I would also say that the shruthi-1 vs a modular patched up as monosynth is apples/oranges - for me the shruthi is a more cerebral and ethereal experience with the added benefit of patch storage

this ambika is exciting on many levels, but I'm a bit on the fence

as far as the sound goes, I miss the beefiness of the original shruthi filter design, but that new DAC is sounding pretty sweet to my ears - http://soundcloud.com/mutable-instruments/vishuv-preset

the swiss army knife quality is pretty cool though... rompler AND analog drum cards to come... sequencer attached to SD card... :hyper:

hpsounds
the french icelander

Post by hpsounds » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks Kent for re-posting :oops:

Hédi K.

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ambika - Mutable Instruments poly synth.

Post by mOBiTh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm

it does!

ive built two of the shruthis and reckon they sound great. might be tempted in this now i've got shot of all my keyboards

Boofin Moonrocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Boofin Moonrocks » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:14 pm

*sigh*...more things to build, more things to buy...

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:19 pm

hpsounds wrote:Thanks Kent for re-posting :oops:

Hédi K.
Pas de problème, mon ami. Tu peux faire la même chose avec "edit".
:sb:

RustyO
serious modular dude

Post by RustyO » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:39 pm

I think I'll be getting one of these... :party:

I should try and get my hands on a Shruthi along the way somewhere, I think I'd prefer a Polivoks one.
speak_onion wrote:@RustyO: You said compact and then listed more gear than I've ever owned. I salute you. :bananaguitar:
OctaEdit : A Software Editor and Librarian for the Elektron Octatrack

OctaZip : Intelligent Octatrack Archiver

gwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gwaidan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:42 pm

I have 2 Shruthis-the interface has been very well thought out. Olivier deliberately avoided a one knob per function interface because of experience with how badly many instruments treat functions that are left off the front panel (try quickly changing pole response on a Little Phatty for example) but was instead inspired by the ESQ1, which only has 1 slider but a very intuitive, fast menu system. And it also has a performance mode with assignable functions for the 4 panel knobs.

From what I've seen Olivier is a really clued-up, knowledgeable guy who doesn't do anything without making sure it's 100%-looking forward to this!!

PS for those in Paris he will be demoing the unit on the 30th at Mutable Square http://www.modularsquare.com/blog/les-r ... juin-2012/

limpmeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by limpmeat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:00 pm

wow, this thing will be amazing!

Willzyx
Common Wiggler

Post by Willzyx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Looking very cool. I want it! Still looking for a IR3109 filter board if any one has one around.

Boofin Moonrocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Boofin Moonrocks » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:06 pm

What kind of voice card options are you guys thinking of doing if you build one?

RustyO
serious modular dude

Post by RustyO » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Boofin Moonrocks wrote:What kind of voice card options are you guys thinking of doing if you build one?
I'd be tempted by two... one 6x Polivoks and the other ???
speak_onion wrote:@RustyO: You said compact and then listed more gear than I've ever owned. I salute you. :bananaguitar:
OctaEdit : A Software Editor and Librarian for the Elektron Octatrack

OctaZip : Intelligent Octatrack Archiver

Willzyx
Common Wiggler

Post by Willzyx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Boofin Moonrocks wrote:What kind of voice card options are you guys thinking of doing if you build one?
Not too sure but SVF looks more useful but classic LPF might be the the way to go...... I need to hear more examples. Maybe a proto card so I can make one with a hm2040. ( ssm2040 clone http://sites.google.com/site/hearnmorle ... cts/hm2040)

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 pm

That is one very sexy instrument... Can't wait to see more ^_^

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Uh oh!

This is gonna get expensive! Fun - but expensive! Its NOT a good idea giving options for the voice cards! I'll never be able to decide!!!!

:hihi:

Very exciting indeed!

Looks like a hella lot of soldering no? Might just be me (had no issues with 2 Sammichs and a Shruthi) but this looks epic for a novice like me!

Barcode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Barcode » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 pm

mckenic wrote:Uh oh!

This is gonna get expensive! Fun - but expensive! Its NOT a good idea giving options for the voice cards! I'll never be able to decide!!!!

:hihi:
That's the same problem I had with the Shruthi-1..... I have 3 of them....

Return to “Music Tech DIY”