Buchla(ish) 258(ish)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 pm

djs wrote:
J3RK wrote:I'm just about to open orders, but wanted a little feedback on my shipping post above before opening up ordering.
What I'd like to know is (and feel free to not respond).. are you at least breaking even or making money off of these? Not that you're running a business/feeding your kids from buchla clone boards, but for someone (like many others on this board) who gives alot of their time and effort to the DIY community, I hope you're at least making a little back from it.
I do make enough to cover more projects, prototype runs, and parts to build these prototypes. Not a ton, but enough to keep the "R&D" going. I have a lot of projects that are ready for runs now because of this. The only issue is trying to manage the little time I have to work on it all.

If I start taking orders for something, it pushes out where I can comfortably start a different run. I'm going to limit things to one board type going forward, so I can just get them all packed and shipped without all the cross-referencing from multiple boards. I just don't have the time to do that now, and is why things took so long on the previous couple of runs.

I figure I'll do this 258 run since several people want them, get those shipped, and then do my project. (still waiting for the final protos for it anyway, so things should time out well for all of it this way)

Anyway, rambling now... :mrgreen:

mattrick
Common Wiggler

Post by mattrick » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:38 pm

:hyper: delighted to hear that you're gonna do another run, and as a domestic recipient i'm totally cool with the $6 flat rate box shipping.
san pedro labs | creative audio electronics | custom synth manufacture
my work: http://sanpedrolabs.com
my music: http://www.soundcloud.com/mattrick

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:48 pm

mattrick wrote::hyper: delighted to hear that you're gonna do another run, and as a domestic recipient i'm totally cool with the $6 flat rate box shipping.
Cool! I also just had a big DUH! :doh: moment, and realized that the customs number can be used for very basic tracking. So I think the thing to do is to communicate the customs number to international buyers. That at least would allow them to check to some degree. I'll just give a bit more time for anyone else that wants to chime in, and then I'll start up an order thread.

Pfurmel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pfurmel » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:13 am

J3RK wrote:
Any thoughts on this before I start things up?

For these methods:

$6 per order for US shipping (Priority with DC)
$8 per order for International shipping (First class, but better packing than before)

If that seems reasonable, or if anyone has better ideas (or if I totally missed something on the USPS site) please let me know, and I'll start up an order thread. I just want things to go a little more smoothly than they have with some of the previous runs.

:party:
Those prices look good to me anyway. If you had the time and wanted to save money, you could wrap the pcb's in cardboard and use a normal envelope, a few people do it that way.

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:24 am

the diy sawtooth versions of the Buchla 258 vco (J3RK's or Mark Verbos') sound amazing.
Found this comment in a euro thread... Isn't the 258J tri core?
Anyone compared the two sound wise?
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:27 am

KNYST wrote:
the diy sawtooth versions of the Buchla 258 vco (J3RK's or Mark Verbos') sound amazing.
Found this comment in a euro thread... Isn't the 258J tri core?
Anyone compared the two sound wise?
It is tri core. However, you can either build it to fade from sine to square, or sine to saw in the waveshaper section. I believe this is what is being referred to here. In fact, I'm not the biggest sawtooth fan in the world, (as evidenced by most of my projects being tri/sqr) but this one does sound quite good to my ears.

SpunRaddish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SpunRaddish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Is an order of these available now? 2 for me!

coopersloan
Common Wiggler

Post by coopersloan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:43 pm

I would love to order a pair of these as well, whenever it happens.

Thanks!
Cooper

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Interested in a couple if theres another batch some time.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”