My panel etching saga

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 am

They are some awesome looking panels. I particularly (even tho it didn't work out for you) like the unearthed unknown obelisk look of the first batch :cthulhu:

Pfurmel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pfurmel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:57 am

Both attempts look brilliant, I know the first was't what you wanted but it looks deadly.
My friend is making me a dip tank so I can have a go at doing my own.

The Ouija board is amazing!!!

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:33 am

Synesthesia wrote:I FUCKING LOVE THE OUIJA BOARD !!!!!!!! BADASS!!! :nana: :twisted: :omg:
Thanks!
stk wrote:They are some awesome looking panels. I particularly (even tho it didn't work out for you) like the unearthed unknown obelisk look of the first batch :cthulhu:
Pfurmel wrote:Both attempts look brilliant, I know the first was't what you wanted but it looks deadly.
My friend is making me a dip tank so I can have a go at doing my own.

The Ouija board is amazing!!!

I liked the first panels myself except that they are unreadable (and no amount of sanding was going to fix that). I went as far as punching the holes and even mounted up the filter to the first panel and it was at that point that I just decided I needed to have another go. I do like the rough look and its one of the things that drew me into etching. However, if you can’t read the panel it isn’t really properly serving its function. At that point I might as well have any abstract design I want, right?

I think one could achieve similar results and still maintain legibility in a 2-step process. I think the way I would approach this is do a good clean etch for your lettering. Clean off the “ground”. Then use a dropper or cup to pour/splash solution on the top and let it sit a bit, creating splotches. Then dip in water and repeat process until you get the effect you want.

I’ve been reading a lot about etching recently and there are various techniques I want to try out for different effects. My modules will probably progress or at least vary over time. I’m enjoying the art of etching in and of its self.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:21 pm

Made a few more. I wanted to do the Plague Bearer in a black metal style and decided to do a couple more that way for the hell of it.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Beautiful! Love em.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:27 pm

8_)

man i am itching to get my chaquo kit
i have been waiting patiently for weeks

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:01 am

Nice! Like the way the etched pictures run all the way to the edges, did you tape off the edges, or do you have another way of masking off those areas?
I always stay away from the edges and use masking tape, but that's with stompboxes. I also like to use masking tape on large areas, as the toner transfer is prone to releasing in those places.
Etching is quite deep on your panels, are you going to fill it in with paint? If not you could etch a bit shorter next time, that helps to keep the edges even crisper.

active
Common Wiggler

Post by active » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 am

these look amazing!!! i have been toying with this idea as well and i am glad that you have been successful at home brew etchings! anyone have and success doing some diy silk screening for faceplates?

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:55 am

Jarno wrote:Nice! Like the way the etched pictures run all the way to the edges, did you tape off the edges, or do you have another way of masking off those areas?
I always stay away from the edges and use masking tape, but that's with stompboxes. I also like to use masking tape on large areas, as the toner transfer is prone to releasing in those places.
It just depends on what I can do. If I have room to overlap the tape on the front, I do. I use PNP blue to mask and I touch up with old nail polish (pink w/glitter works great) and I will run that along the sides where I can’t wrap tape but I’m not overly anal about it. I like the rough look. I think it gives it a cool homemade artisan feel.

Jarno wrote:Etching is quite deep on your panels, are you going to fill it in with paint? If not you could etch a bit shorter next time, that helps to keep the edges even crisper.
Actually, those pictures I just posted were painted. When they came out the etched portions were nearly as shiny as the non-etched so I had to paint them. Because the etch was shallow and perhaps due to my sanding method, the sanding took off some of the paint in the large etches areas (it’s still much darker in those areas than it was previously). I’m actually happy they don’t look painted because I prefer a patina look to the etched areas rather than stark black. I’m ok with the lack of crisp edges as long as it is legible. I can understand why some would not like it but I dig that aspect of the etched look. Unless I make a new batch of the solution every time, the etching time varies, so I have to go by feel.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:01 pm

active wrote:these look amazing!!! i have been toying with this idea as well and i am glad that you have been successful at home brew etchings! anyone have and success doing some diy silk screening for faceplates?
Thanks!

I’ve done a little silk screening on t-shirts in the past and I just think it would be a PITA on something this small unless you has access to nice equipment. There is a thread about someone trying it recently in this forum. There are also clear decal like products you can bake on that could give you results similar to silk screen.

active
Common Wiggler

Post by active » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:15 pm

yea, i have done a lot of silk screening myself, while my father does some etching. how much on averaging on making panels? say the size of the plague bearer and the psycho lfo?

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Not sure if I posted them before, but here are a few I did:

(purposely left some paint when sanding the bottom one, to give a "spacy" impression).

glitched01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by glitched01 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:22 pm

Wild stuff, Rod Sterling Fan Club! My favorite is probably the Chaquo, closely followed by the tube vca. I love the "ancient" look that you apparently stumbled upon!

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:54 pm

active wrote: how much on averaging on making panels? say the size of the plague bearer and the psycho lfo?
Do you mean my cost to etch my panels? It’s cheap. I never figured the cost before but now I’m curious as well. The panels themselves I got cut in bulk from online metals. Panel size cost each (keep in mind I bought multiples of each size):

CHAQUO +TGTSH panel $2.32
Wogglebug panel $1.16
Plague Bearer $0.67
Ring Mod $0.33
All are .065” T6 aluminum sheet

The copper sulfate saline solution is cheap to make. Bottle of root kill $12, large container of table salt, I dunno? $6? and tap water. That’s enough ingredients to make a lot of solution. I’ve etched everything so far with 1 liter. I think that bottle of root kill will make 12 liters or so… I’ve made about 13 panels of various sizes with that liter. That averages to about $0.12 per panel. I am mixing and storing the solution in used plastic milk containers. I found a couple plastic tubs around the house.

I bought 22 sheets of PNP Blue for $33. So far I average 5 panel per sheet but I’ve mostly been doing larger panels. That’s another $0.30. As an aside, I found an article where a guy was printing toner onto the cheap waxy advertisement magazine paper and using it the same way you use PNP. I haven’t tried but that paper would be a free alternative, worth a try…

So…
Avg. aluminum = $1.12
Avg. solution = $0.12
Avg. PNP = $0.30

Average panel cost = $1.54

I didn’t include the consumables like gloves, tape, masks, sandpaper, spray paint as it is hard to quickly guess how much and the cost of each. I also had a couple onetime costs such as a metal punch at $25 and a food scale at $10 that I’m not including either. I would guess in the end it costs me about $2-$3 each panel give or take.

jaidee
Common Wiggler

Post by jaidee » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Jarno - care to explain how you've etched your stomp boxes? Ferric chloride or copper sulphate/saline solution, of something else? P 'n' P?

However, you did it - great results!

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:50 am

Thanks jaidee!
These are done using toner transfer, with photo paper for inkjet printers (Epson S041126). But because of the die-cast process you will first need to sand the top to ensure flatness, something you probably don't need to do with sheet aluminium.
I tape all the stuff that doesn't need to be etched and dump them in the etchant, face down. It's important to also tape some toothpicks to the boxes so the face that you want to etch doesn't come into contact with the bottom.

The etchant is a mix of 20ml of 30% Hydrogenperoxide and about 180-200ml of 10% Hydrochloric acid. Both are available in shops(allthough the hydrogenperoxide usually has to be ordered).

After etching I spraypaint them and then sand them back.

I sand them using sandpaper stuck to a flat surface, this will also make sure you don't sand inside the etched areas.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:09 am

I like the Space Beacon Jarno. When I started sanding the Plague Bearer, I was getting a similar effect where it rubbed off around the lettering and graphics but left a lot of black on. I probably should have left it, it looked really good and fit the theme but I didn’t want a mostly black panel throwing off the consistency with the other panels. Maybe I’ll play with that more next time.

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Yeah, especially when you're too much in a hurry, and start sanding too early, the paint can really clog your sandpaper.

By the way, found out that these nice pre-cut euro blindpanels are resistant to etchant (anodised ones anyway), bugger. Bought a few to try, thought that the etchant would eat away the aluminiumoxide layer, but it doesn't. Oh,well, cut them from alu sheet then.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Jarno wrote:Yeah, especially when you're too much in a hurry, and start sanding too early, the paint can really clog your sandpaper.
What I meant was the way you intentionally left paint on the unetched surface. I guess a picture would have been better than any words can be. It just looked really cool the way the sanding initially lifted around the etched portions of the PB but the rest of the panel remained black and the lettering/graphics remained black as well. I'm just saying it is a neat effect similar to what you used on your space pedal. It's something I might experiment with in the future.

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:35 am

Well, uh, yeah, it was intentionally, but I didn't think of it beforehand. I started sanding and my paper was clogging, and I liked the look of it.
Good that you got inspiration from that.

I like the stuff you did, bit of a entomologist myself, so I especially liked the mantis.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”