Percussive noise module build

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

dylski
Learning to Wiggle

Percussive noise module build

Post by dylski » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:22 am

I've just uploaded a video of the build of CLAP! - the third of three percussive noise circuits for my 1U module - just in case anyone finds this useful.

Jump to the end of the video for a demo with this link: https://youtu.be/lgywZZLvM0U?t=6098) if you don't want to sit through 1 3/4 hours of amateur soldering!

It's based on Kristian Blåsol's schematic (https://youtu.be/px0D-ntx8Bk) which a couple of fixes and one addition (see attached schematic). Firstly, the input seemed to not play nice with other modules when it was sharing a gate input via a passive mult. I'm guessing it was pulling down the gate voltage as the other module was not detecting all the gates. Might be something to do with the gate being used to charge the capacitor to generate the noise envelope. Anyway an input buffer fixed that. Secondly the output was very quiet so I boost the output with an op-amp. The 'addition' was because I could not decide what capacitors to place in the circuit for the different sounds - so I put in a switch so each noise circuit has two flavours of noise :-)

Apologies for poor sound quality, camera angles and soldering ability. Also the weird camera stitching, occasional camera flicker, slow pace, long pauses of confusion and general not-knowing-what-I'm-doing-ness!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Percussive noise module build

Post by Ayab » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi dylski

Thank you for sharing your mod's to the percussive voice. I really enjoyed the video - I like your technique of sticking parts to the schematic with tape. I like to stick the parts onto the list of parts with masking tape!

I am amazed that you managed to build the module without any circuit board but it has a great transistor noise sound. Good stuff.

dylski
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Percussive noise module build

Post by dylski » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:45 pm

Ayab wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm
Thank you for sharing your mod's to the percussive voice. I really enjoyed the video - I like your technique of sticking parts to the schematic with tape. I like to stick the parts onto the list of parts with masking tape!
Thanks. I had thought about trying to solder the components as the schematic layout but quickly realised that would not be possible given that the same op-amp IC was being used at both ends of the schematic!
Ayab wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm
I am amazed that you managed to build the module without any circuit board but it has a great transistor noise sound. Good stuff.
It was Juanito Moore's video on making his reverb circuit that gave me the courage to give it a go!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”