Can i put capacitors in parallel?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Can i put capacitors in parallel?

Post by helix » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:51 am

I've put some different capacitors on each channel of my Doepfer Quad decay because the times weren't long enough for me. I didn't get it for percussive stuff but for nice long pluck sounds to go with my intellijel shifty. I double the value of the capacitors but they're still not long enough.

Maybe a dumb question, but instead of replacing the ones i put in, can i ADD another of the same value capacitor to it by just soldering it into the holes as well as the one that's already there. Or will this do something bad. Or different to what i'm expecting?

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Can i put capacitors in parallel?

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:57 am

helix wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:51 am
instead of replacing the ones i put in, can i ADD another of the same value capacitor to it by just soldering it into the holes as well as the one that's already there.
Sure. Their capacities will simply add. So if you have 1 µF and want 2 µF, put in another 1 µF in parallel.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by helix » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:07 am

Excellent that's what i was thinking/hoping! Cheers :)

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by helix » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am

Basically i didn't want to buy more capacitors as i have more left of that same capacitance :)

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:00 am

You can do it, but you will surely anger the capacitor gods. Not worth it, IMO.

Just kidding, you totally can as Bodo said.

Another tripppy thing I just learned about is that if you're really hard up, you can take a regular ceramic wafer cap and break a piece of it off to lower the cap value.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 am

Doncha hate it when you click on the " instead of the pencil! :doh:
Last edited by KSS on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:12 am

devinw1 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:00 am
Another tripppy thing I just learned about is that if you're really hard up, you can take a regular ceramic wafer cap and break a piece of it off to lower the cap value.
Be sure to seal it again from the environment, so moisture -and other crap- doesn't change its utility. Nail polish at least. Epoxy better.

And if you need lower don't forget about caps in series!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:17 am

There's some very helpful calculators available on-line (free) that allow you to put in various cap values in series and/or parallel to determine the overall "total capacitance" (so to speak) of caps either in series or parallel. With a bit of effort even working out parallel~series combinations will work out to be.

These same on-line calculators can also offer the same thing for resistors as well.

They're free to use, and they're not actually loaded on to your computer they're just used on-line. V.E.R.Y. helpful especially if you don't ~know~ your parallel/series formulas for resistance and/or capacitance.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:23 am

KSS wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:12 am
devinw1 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:00 am
Be sure to seal it again from the environment, so moisture -and other crap- doesn't change its utility. Nail polish at least. Epoxy better.

And if you need lower don't forget about caps in series!
Yes, forgot to mention that! :tu:

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Here is the formula for parallel resistance (or series capacitance, if you change the R’s to C’s). The iPhone will give you a scientific calculator with a 1/x button, if you turn the regular calculator sideways (I’m guessing Android probably has one somewhere too).

htor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by htor » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:30 pm

in parallel, not in series

htor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by htor » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:31 pm

oh, i see. never mind

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:17 am
There's some very helpful calculators available on-line (free) that allow you to put in various cap values in series and/or parallel to determine the overall "total capacitance" (so to speak) of caps either in series or parallel. With a bit of effort even working out parallel~series combinations will work out to be.

These same on-line calculators can also offer the same thing for resistors as well.
I've also got a reverse calculator - enter a target value and it will suggest combinations of standard values to hit the target. https://files.northcoastsynthesis.com/spcalc/
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Latest Web log posting: Vexations

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:55 pm

even big companies use this trick. sometimes it's cheapest just to buy thousands of one value with the bulk discounts, and combine them get the nearby values that're only occasionally needed.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Well, it's not a "trick", it's just how to get to a specific capacitance (or resistance if you're working with resistors). It's actually a basic skill that is really a necessary essential tool as part of the resources required at the foundation level of this discipline. Kinda like having to know the alphabet before you can create written words, and then sentences, and paragraphs, ending in the conveyance of a complete thought.

5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:46 am

Prototyping SMT I often stack 1206 caps to find a new value, especially if I don't have a particular type on hand.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 am

latigid on wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:46 am
Prototyping SMT I often stack 1206 caps to find a new value, especially if I don't have a particular type on hand.
Works for through-hole too. This is from an early ARP1023 dual VCO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:46 pm

The elusive quad stack!

Love that trimmer pot installation too. :D :D

Return to “Music Tech DIY”