Understanding suitable transistor and opamp substitutions

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Studioalethea
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Understanding suitable transistor and opamp substitutions

Post by Studioalethea » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:07 pm

rumblesan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:11 pm
Hey all,

currently in the process of getting back into DIY electronics after a bit of a hiatus and attempting to get back up to speed. I'm trying to understand how I can go about picking suitable transistors and opamps when I'm subbing in and out parts in a circuit, specifically what would I be checking for?

Transistors I get that it's primarily going to be about hfe, and in my current situation building a CGS panel with elby pcbs, pinout is going to be a consideration as well. Beyond that I guess that vbe values, noise and power rating maybe? but what else might differ?
For a concrete question/example, the CGS VCA specifies bc558b transistors which are apparently obsolete, and I'm wondering if I could just use 2n3906 instead or if there's something I've missed?

Op-amps feels a bit tricker, as beyond the obvious it's not actually clear to me what the functional difference is between say an lm358 and a tl072? Is it mainly that the latter has jfet inputs so a higher input impedance?

Sorry if this is a bit obvious, but searching back through these forums I found a fair bit of info on substitutions, but not much explaining what the logic/reasoning is behind them.

cheers for any help
Unpopular opinion here.

I really enjoy the thrill of the hunt in finding vintage and obsolete parts. I do my best to find original parts through surplus or harvest from used gear.

Why do I do this? Well, I enjoy it. Also, while I fully understand that modern parts are superior, maybe what I am looking for is something other than perfection. I like replicas. It’s sorta like building a sailboat when a speedboat gets you there faster. Speedboats are loud and there are a lot of fumes from that motor.

Additionally, if I have some original parts in the original circuit design, I can then make the substitutes myself to experiment and have tangible evidence for those substitutions. Sure, I could model it in LTSpice and get mathematical precision. This is again something I don’t want to do.

So, my process is to find the part where I can (there are only a select few that are impossible to find, UA726HC for example) and breadboard or socket a pcb. I can make the measurements of the original component, and then put in my modern replacement and measure/listen again.

All of this is to say that we all enjoy this hobby for different reasons. Don’t let others tell you how to be happy.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:39 pm

:agree:
Starting from the original parts is pretty important if you're going after a replica. But as long as you have those, and start there; you can almost always get to new parts giving the *exact same* result.

@Studioalethea
Why am I not surprised you're a sailor? Agree about the powerboat thing too. Sailing teaches you that while you *can* get there from here, it's not always -or often- a straight line! And the wonderful life lessons gained when a broad reach feels like you're flying -and you're not- while running with a spinnaker set seems like you're not moving -but you now *are* 'flying'. The gut feeling and the actual fact is not the same.

Which also applies directly to the goal of this thread's title.

Studioalethea
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Studioalethea » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:26 am

KSS wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:39 pm
:agree:
Starting from the original parts is pretty important if you're going after a replica. But as long as you have those, and start there; you can almost always get to new parts giving the *exact same* result.

@Studioalethea
Why am I not surprised you're a sailor? Agree about the powerboat thing too. Sailing teaches you that while you *can* get there from here, it's not always -or often- a straight line! And the wonderful life lessons gained when a broad reach feels like you're flying -and you're not- while running with a spinnaker set seems like you're not moving -but you now *are* 'flying'. The gut feeling and the actual fact is not the same.

Which also applies directly to the goal of this thread's title.
I mean, I would have more money to learn to sail if I didn’t spend all of my money on vintage parts! :lol:

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:58 pm

Hijack.
Studioalethea wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:07 pm
It’s sorta like building a sailboat when a speedboat gets you there faster. Speedboats are loud and there are a lot of fumes from that motor.
Sounds like you've never been cruising on a SV and had to run the diesel 4-5 days at a time. The smell and vibration get old fast.
KSS wrote: Why am I not surprised you're a sailor? Agree about the powerboat thing too. Sailing teaches you that while you *can* get there from here, it's not always -or often- a straight line! And the wonderful life lessons gained when a broad reach feels like you're flying -and you're not- while running with a spinnaker set seems like you're not moving -but you now *are* 'flying'. The gut feeling and the actual fact is not the same.
I'd rather wing it (wing on wing) if I can. I've gotten in trouble with a whisker pole a couple of times.

Still rather be on an SV than a MV.

Jay S.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”