The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by sduck » Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 pm

This one. I put some space saver mismatched knobs on the rotary switches just so I could show it off. They actually work pretty well. I'm not really happy with any of these knobs, they may all change sometime in the future.
DSC00029-2.jpg
DSC00033-2.jpg
DSC00031-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gnsk » Fri May 15, 2020 4:51 am

NLC "Delay No More 3"
* 18hp -> 10hp repackt
* For troubleshooting, tried to build each parts in module as module.

thanks andrewF!
delaynomore-vorne.jpg
delaynomore-dorsal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Fri May 15, 2020 6:30 am

Just finished my percussion modules, the sequencer needs some programming still.
The modules are designed and built by myself (very proud 👍🏻)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat May 16, 2020 6:10 pm

I built a Quad Function Generator based on the Intellijel Quadra + Expander (which was based on the Buchla 281) into a 5U module. I used a Panel Board to eliminate panel wiring and a Translator Board to connect the Panel Board to the Circuit Board without having to compromise the layout of either one. Here is the finished module:
15_Finished_QPG.jpeg
And here is a couple of pictures of the board stack (every board has circuitry on it -- the main Circuit Board has all of the Quadra circuitry, the Translator Board in the middle has all of the Expander circuitry, and the Panel Board has circuitry for the Quadrature Mode switches -- on the Intellijel unit, these are 4PDT switches, but here I opted for SPDT switches and DG333s):
7_Board_Stack_1.jpeg
8_Board_Stack_2.jpeg
I'm actually considering offering these for sale on Modular Grid. What do y'all think of that?
this night wounds time,

latrohexus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by latrohexus » Sat May 16, 2020 7:16 pm

baby's first active module:
P_20200515_173459.jpg
a 1:3 mult based on Skull and Circuits, with a bit of boost on the bipolar LED's channel to help lower level signals light it up. next, amplifying offsetting attenuverters and a stereo headphone amp. eventually some VCAs, LFOs, etc, and if I can't fix my ESQ1 I may turn its filter chips into modules too

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Sat May 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:10 pm
I'm actually considering offering these for sale on Modular Grid. What do y'all think of that?
It's freaking gorgeous, but I doubt it'd be within my budget :)

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Sat May 16, 2020 9:06 pm

gnsk wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:51 am
NLC "Delay No More 3"
* 18hp -> 10hp repackt
* For troubleshooting, tried to build each parts in module as module.

thanks andrewF!

delaynomore-vorne.jpg
delaynomore-dorsal.jpg
Very very nice!!!

romain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by romain » Sun May 17, 2020 7:39 am

I built a Quad Function Generator based on the Intellijel Quadra + Expander
Very neat job ! well done

Schlumpfhut
Common Wiggler

Post by Schlumpfhut » Sun May 17, 2020 10:41 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Consider me to be the first buyer of that AWESOME project. :w00t: :w00t:
That is exactly what i am looking for to set up self-generating patches

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sun May 17, 2020 12:02 pm

elmegil wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:55 pm
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Not into 5U myself, but if I was I would definitely be interested.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun May 17, 2020 1:47 pm

elmegil wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Well, I'm thinking $500 US. An Intellijel Quadra + Expander can (still?) be had at Analogue Haven for $430 US, and this is a handmade labour of love that takes a person (or two?) quite a few hours of painstaking labour to realize and is easily serviced if required because all the parts are through-hole and all the ICs are socketed, etc. You should know that, at that price, the dudes making these things are making roughly minimum wage (that's me and possibly a friend).

Of course, if someone wants one of these, but doesn't like my baked-on Lazertran panels, then I'd be happy to order the basic white-on-black MOTM-style panels from Front Panel Express or whatever. I also have a buddy here in Vancouver (a pretty well-known experimental composer, as it turns out) who has the capability to do laser engraving, and I'll be experimenting with lasering the black layer off of painted aluminum. Also, he can do silkscreening, so that's another option -- thinking of powder coating and silkscreening like Modcan.

However, for now, the panels are baked-on Lazertran. What I could do is sell the units with these panels and then offer replacement panels to anyone who wants one at cost. If I order anything, it will have to be in bulk, and that will depend on getting at least a few orders up front.
this night wounds time,

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Sun May 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Oh yeah Dave, I don't mean to say anything about the fair value of the module!

I just mean I don't generally have $500 or more to drop on a module. :D If I *did* I'd be lining up for it though.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sun May 17, 2020 5:20 pm

More 500? WTF is wrong with me? I should really get back to building Serge panels.
IMG_3983.jpg
IMG_3982.jpg

Schlumpfhut
Common Wiggler

Post by Schlumpfhut » Sun May 17, 2020 10:13 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:47 pm
elmegil wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Well, I'm thinking $500 US. An Intellijel Quadra + Expander can (still?) be had at Analogue Haven for $430 US, and this is a handmade labour of love that takes a person (or two?) quite a few hours of painstaking labour to realize and is easily serviced if required because all the parts are through-hole and all the ICs are socketed, etc. You should know that, at that price, the dudes making these things are making roughly minimum wage (that's me and possibly a friend).

Of course, if someone wants one of these, but doesn't like my baked-on Lazertran panels, then I'd be happy to order the basic white-on-black MOTM-style panels from Front Panel Express or whatever. I also have a buddy here in Vancouver (a pretty well-known experimental composer, as it turns out) who has the capability to do laser engraving, and I'll be experimenting with lasering the black layer off of painted aluminum. Also, he can do silkscreening, so that's another option -- thinking of powder coating and silkscreening like Modcan.

However, for now, the panels are baked-on Lazertran. What I could do is sell the units with these panels and then offer replacement panels to anyone who wants one at cost. If I order anything, it will have to be in bulk, and that will depend on getting at least a few orders up front.
Since i would prefer the "classic" white-on-black i would take you up on that option. And 500$ is in my opinion not much for that kind of build
You could also provide an fpe-file (maybe for a small fee) so that folks who want a different panel can order it themselves and replace the original one.

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djs » Mon May 18, 2020 7:28 am

GrantB wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:20 pm
More 500? WTF is wrong with me? I should really get back to building Serge panels.
I really like seeing your 500 series pics, so please keep posting :)

Question- can you give a rough guess as to how much each of those modules cost you to build? Not including the 500 series chassis itself.
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Mon May 18, 2020 10:37 am

djs wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:28 am
GrantB wrote:
I really like seeing your 500 series pics, so please keep posting :)

Question- can you give a rough guess as to how much each of those modules cost you to build? Not including the 500 series chassis itself.
The prices on the CAPI and AML websites are for the complete kit, around $300 for a module. For the CAPI modules you will need to add about $20-$40 for one or two op amp kits depending on the module. So not "cheap" but when API modules go for $850-$1150 it looks like a bargain.

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Tue May 19, 2020 10:38 pm

A "sort of" build: A replacement power supply for my long dead Yamaha SPX-1000.
IMG_20200520_041104.jpg
Unfortunately I made the holes for the switch bracket too small, and didn't leave room for decently sized heatsinks on the regulators. Rather more unfortunately, the PSU wasn't the only thing dead on the SPX - there's a short from 5V to ground on the main board. I really should have tested it on a bench power supply first!
One day I'll get an avatar!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed May 20, 2020 4:09 pm

Today I finished laying out the next module in my series of "improve the layouts for existing designs in 5U to eliminate panel wiring and stooge brackets" modules.

Here are the graphics for the Dr. Octature cascaded 4-pole filter. I'm gonna try to build it over the next two evenings.

Panel from FPD:
5UDocOcFPD.png
Circuit Board:
5UDocOcCircuit.png
Panel Board:
5UDocOcPanel.png
Translator Board:
5UDocOcTranslator.png
Note how the Translator Board is flipped horizontally relative to the Panel Board, but not flipped relative to the Circuit Board -- this is because the Panel and Translator Boards are stacked back-to-back. Also, the Panel+Translator are screwed together through three mounting holes, whereas the Translator+Circuit are screwed together by four holes at the corners. Screwing these boards together is not strictly necessary, as they will stay firmly plugged into each other, but I like the extra insurance of spacing hardware.

All of the PCBs are 4" x 5.4", so will fit comfortably behind a 3U panel (5.25" x 8.75"). They will clear all of the jacks (hence the corner notch out of the Panel Board, which is meant to accommodate the IN 1, IN 2, 1V/OCT and FM 1 jacks. I will put all 16 jacks and the 8 indicator LEDs on a separate Jack Board which will ride slightly above the Panel Board. The wired connection between the Jack Board and the Panel Board will be the only wires in the module. This is simply because the Switchcraft 112APCX jacks I plan to use are too deep to include on the Panel Board.
this night wounds time,

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 am

Built something with vactrols this time! (more 500)
IMG_3988.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 am

So quite some time ago I was perusing Ian Fritz's lovely website and noticed the Wavolver. Elby sells PCB+panel kits for these but IIRC it was too deep for almost any of my cases, so I decided to make my own. The panel layout is a little weird because it's all stuffed into one ~16hp through-hole board parallel with the panel, but it works, and it's not cramped. I didn't have any 4.7V zeners on hand so tried some 5.1V instead. It seems like a very angry waveshaper. I like it a lot! I will get some 4.7V zeners and see what happens...
IMG_1731.jpeg
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gnsk » Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 am

Sampler<->Filter-Feedback

* based on Bastl, CasperElectronic's "OMSynth Project 3"
* ISD1820 x2, one for sampler, the other for filter with feedback
* sampling from mic, audio-in, or filter-out.
* sample-out -> filter-in normalized
* filter-out -> sample-in toggle switch : without audio-in or, mic-in, filter w/ feedback itself can be sampled.
* vactrols for CV
* 6HP
sff-vorne.jpg
sff-dorsal.jpg
samplerdback-6hp.png

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Fri May 22, 2020 4:25 am

I am in awe of your deadbug skills. Cool! I have the Noise Reap sampler built using the same chip. Lo-fi but a lot of fun. Your take on it looks much more complete.

(have you heard of this amazing new circuit board technology that has been invented recently? It's like taking a photo of all your wires and then telling your computer to print it out!)

BadPixel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BadPixel » Fri May 22, 2020 5:09 am

Been hibernating from building a coupe of months so feels great to be burning through the backlog again :razz:

Nothing fancy but anyways. Some Multimode VCF's, the Swamp and BBD Delay/Flanger from Erica, Horstronic's Joystick and a neat little 2x2 Matrix Mixer from Kymatica. The BBD needs some troubleshooting though. LFO and dry audio works, but there's something off with the actual delay/flanger part :hmm:
Image Image Image Image

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Fri May 22, 2020 7:43 am

Pittsburgh Modular shared the schematic for their discontinued sequencer, which was more or less the classic CD4017-based Baby10. I felt like trying an SMD layout and so made one of these. I had some Alps 8-way rotary switches + knobs left over from ordering Turing Machine parts, and Tom Whitwell of Music Thing had shared his Eagle part for the switch, so I used it to replace Pittsburgh's 4/6/8-way selector. One opamp in the Pittsburgh schematic isn't used, so I added a comparator, figuring it might be useful when using two or more of these sequencers together.

When I'm sure everything is definitely working, the Eagle and Gerber files will be up on Github.
IMG_1734.jpeg

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri May 22, 2020 1:12 pm

GrantB wrote:
IMG_3983.jpg
IMG_3982.jpg
These are gorgeous! I love the knobs.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”