Something New from Doc Sketchy

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Something New from Doc Sketchy

Post by Prunesquallor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:36 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 pm
So, I've just nearly finished a pretty big project -- a Serge-format version of the Quadra + Expander, for a fellow wiggler. This will be part of a larger Serge-style build being coordinated by Loudest Warning. Here is what the Quadra part of the panel will look like:
QuadraSergePanel.png
Here are the boards I have laid out and made for this project. They are all 6" high x 5.9" wide. There is a Panel PCB, a Translator PCB, and a Quadra PCB. The Panel PCB has all panel components and logic circuitry for the Quadrature Mode switch, and Quadra PCB has all the circuitry for the Quadra, plus the CV circuitry from the Expander, and the Translator PCB goes inbetween and is where all the interconnections are made between the Panel board and the Quadra board. It also has all the Quadrature Mode and OR circuitry from the Expander. Laying out this monstrosity was like an exercise in 3-D Sudoku.
QuadraAllFront.jpeg
QuadraAllBack.jpeg
Here is now the boards stack up into a sandwich:
QuadraStackBottom.jpeg
QuadraStackTop.jpeg
QuadraStackEdge.jpeg
I'm waiting for the pots and banana jacks to arrive from Small Bear, and then I can send the whole mess off to Loudest Warning for final assembly. But first I have to thoroughly test it to make sure that all this shit actually works.
Just catching up. Nice to see those extra pics, Dave. Can't wait to get hold of that baby!

Looking back through the thread, next I'd like the Rubicon 2, Morgasmatron and scanning Polaris next to each other in a 3-inch-deep boat. :hihi:
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:40 am

Revok wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm
Nicely done! Looking forward to seeing the complete synth.
It's fitting into a Buchla-esq modulation panel to accompany my LW Sing To Me panel, Charlie's Animoo-on-steroids synth.
Laser Attack.jpg
Now back to your regular programming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 am

Looks like a fun party!

Personally I'd have left the Sloth controls and CV inputs off the panel, they're plenty loopy without them, and put a mini clock divider or counter in there instead. Not my panel tho :-)
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:58 am

indigoid wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 am
Looks like a fun party!

Personally I'd have left the Sloth controls and CV inputs off the panel, they're plenty loopy without them, and put a mini clock divider or counter in there instead. Not my panel tho :-)
Interesting! Not having used them, I was going with other comments on them here. Apparently, nlc includes them on a lot of builds. Anyway, I'm going with clock dividers on my NEXT panel. :lol:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:17 am

Tonight I made a new panel PCB for the Serge-format QFG project -- the original had physical 4PDT switches for switching into Quadrature Mode, and these were very bulky, too tall for convenient panel mounting, and unavailable with PCB-mount solder tabs. I decided to replace them with SPDT switches and DG333 quad analog SPDT switch ICs. Here is the much more elegant result:
NewQFGPanelPCB.jpeg
Now everything is the same height, so mounting the panel will be much more straightforward. I ran out of solid core wire for making jumpers, so I used color coded jumpers from a breadboarding kit I had lying around. I'm really happy with how this turned out, and it all worked the first time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun.

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:00 pm

nice!! i guess a re-do was better than a kludge to the old one huh.

d.
i use to drink & smoke.
that fat cat had to go..... wasn't even mine.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:00 pm
nice!! i guess a re-do was better than a kludge to the old one huh.

d.
Yes, I'm really happy I decided to rebuild, and it came together really quickly. The entire rebuild took about 3 hours, from printing to testing.

I really hope I can build another one or more of these beasts for other people, because I've gotten very good at it.

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 pm

hhmmmnnn..... i suppose i could start a 4u serge-a-like cab. :hmm:
i use to drink & smoke.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 am

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 pm
hhmmmnnn..... i suppose i could start a 4u serge-a-like cab. :hmm:
I don't think it's that format specific. If it can fit 4U, it could certainly go behind a 5U panel.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Hey folks, here's my latest video examining the many delights of the Quad Function Generator.

Sorry that it's so long and that it is in Portrait mode. One of these days I'll learn how to make decent videos.

So, if anybody else wants one of these beasts, I'd love to make more. It can be 4U (as it is now) or 5U (with some minor adjustments). Loudest Warning designed the panel for the 4U format -- it's part of a larger panel build, but maybe we could do it as a standalone module as well.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:20 am

Nice one, Dave! Can't wait to get hold of it. :guinness:

Guys, go for it!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri May 01, 2020 1:22 am

The other day, when I was taping that QFG video, I thought to myself, "Boy, I wish I had another one of these 1U Dual VCAs" so tonight I built another one. Here are some pictures of the two almost identical beauties, side by side. I put yellow and purple knobs on the new one. I also did a much nicer job on the stooge bracket. I used exactly the same wire colours on all the connectors, to make it easy to wire up.
VCAsFront.jpeg
VCAsBack.jpeg

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Fri May 01, 2020 5:24 pm

nice!!! i wonder if i could squeeze one of those behind a frac pnl??
i use to drink & smoke.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon May 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:24 pm
nice!!! i wonder if i could squeeze one of those behind a frac pnl??
Of course. The PCB is only 4.5" long and 2" wide. The jacks could go up the side instead of being down at the bottom.

If you want one, just let me know. I can whip out a PCB, stuff it and test it in an evening, and still have time for some TV. Plus, for you, a special deal (free?).

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sun May 10, 2020 10:41 pm

........................I love looking at your circuits....................
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 12, 2020 3:37 am

After building that 4U Serge-format QFG for Prunesquallor, I decided that I wanted one too! However, my modular is in 5U format, so... I redid the layouts for 5U. I'm going to make this into a little "build diary" a la Rex Coil 7 (but not as elaborate) which will hopefully inspire some others to take up synth DIY, version Crazy-Person.

So, it all starts with the schematic. Here is the schematic as reconstructed from the Intellijel originals, which were virtually unreadable and indecipherable. I printed the original Eagle schematics as a PDF (where everything was just dumped willy-nilly onto the same page), cut out the various circuit bits and pieces and taped them to pieces of paper to indicate signal flow. I don't know about most people, but I can't really make sense of a schematic unless I can see the signal flow clearly, and when you are building something complicated, being able to understand the schematic is the first and most critical step. Of course, I designed 80% of this circuit myself, but it was almost 10 years ago and I had forgotten most of it. I had to re-educate myself about the Quadra, and this was how I did it.

(Note: this is just one of the four channels. There is actually about four times this much circuitry.)
Schematics.jpeg
The next step is panel layout. I draw my panels in Front Panel Designer. Because I build Panel PCBs, I tend to position all the panel components on a strict 0.1" grid (actually a 0.05" grid for the panel) to accommodate my Excel layout scheme. I quickly realized that this panel had to be 4U wide to accommodate all of the jacks required (22 altogether). That meant that the module was going to be 7" wide. Here is a picture of the freshly baked panel cooling on the oven rack -- it turned out perfectly -- I seem to have finally mastered the art of baked-on Lazertran:
11_Hot_Panel.jpeg
For the PCB layout, I started with the Circuit Board layout I did for the 4U build. However, since this module is an inch wider, I could make the PCBs an inch wider as well -- 6.9" wide instead of 5.9" wide. That extra inch allowed me to make all the inter-circuit connections on the Circuit Board. For the 4U build, many of the inter-circuit connections (connections from on discrete block of circuitry to another) had to be relegated to the Translator board, and this made laying out that board much harder and necessitated a bunch of flying wires. In this build, no flying wires were required and the Translator board was easy to lay out. Here are the layouts of the three PCBs:

Circuit Board:
5U Quadra Circuit Layout.png
Panel Board:
5U Quadra Panel Layout.png
Translator Board:
5U Quadra Translator Layout.png
You'll notice that the Panel Board has two large square holes -- this is to accommodate two jacks which are not at the bottom of the module (for the OR A+B and OR C+D outputs). I was worried about these, but they turned out to be very easy to make. I just drilled a few 1/8" holes along the edge of each hole, then snipped the pieces out with wire snippers, then filed the edges flat. It took about five minutes to do both holes.

Also, I'm very proud of the Translator Board layout. I color-coded the traces for the four different channels. To make layout easier and error-free, I created color-coded labels for each pin. Then all I had to do was to connect similarly labeled pins together. Here is the layout again with the labels superimposed (you'll notice that A and B and C and D go from right to left -- this is because the panel is on the other side of this board -- it is important to remember to flip the Panel Board layout horizontally to derive the arrangement of pins for the Translator board -- a lesson I learned the hard way with my Rubicon 2 build):
Translator Layout with Labels.png
Again, the role of the Translator Board is to connect all the pins on the back of the Circuit Board to all the sockets on the back of the Panel Board. This Translator Board also has to accommodate the Quadra Expander circuitry. My technique for laying out Translators is to run all the horizontal traces as actual traces and all the vertical traces as jumper wires. Hence, I start by having very long jumper wires running up and down. This allows me to draw horizontal traces freely without having to worry about crossing other traces. I just have to avoid running traces into the wrong pins. Once all of the connections are made, then I set about removing unnecessary jumper wire, making each jumper as short as possible and filling in the gaps with traces. Also, if a bunch of vertical jumpers are crossing just one or two traces, I'll break my rule and create horizontal jumpers. I think you'll agree that the result is quite elegant.

So, here are some pictures of the actual build. I haven't drilled the panel yet, and as of now only one of the four channels works, so tomorrow I'll drill the panel, mount the Panel PCB and wire up all the jacks, then do some troubleshooting.

First, the PCBs with the PnP-Blue transfer paper pressed on:
1_PnP_Blue.jpeg
Next, the plastic sheets are removed and the transfers are corrected with a felt-tip pin to fix any broken traces, and pads which are too close together or touching are scratched away with a sharp metal tool:
2_Corrected_Transfers.jpeg
Next, the boards are etched (you can see from all the felt-tip pen marks that the Panel Board transfer was a little rough, but the Circuit and Translator Board transfers were much smoother -- if transfers are too rough I typically just rub them off with acetone and start over, but this one was good enough to salvage with some felt-tip microsurgery):
3_Etched.jpeg
Then they are drilled and tinned:
4_Drilled.jpeg
... continued on another post...
Last edited by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch on Tue May 12, 2020 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 am

Here are the boards all stuffed with components: first the tops:
5_Stuffed_Tops.jpeg
and then the bottoms:
6_Stuffed_Bottoms.jpeg
Here are the three boards all stacked together, from the Panel end:
7_Board_Stack_1.jpeg
and from the Circuit end:
8_Board_Stack_2.jpeg
and looking in-between the boards to see all the connectors:
9_Board_Stack_5.jpeg
You'll notice that I soldered the LEDs into the Panel Board, even though I don't have a drilled panel. I came up with a cute little trick for getting the proper height on panel-mounted LEDs. I just drilled a strip of waste PCB with holes so that I could mount them to adjacent switches, then I positioned the LED in this "mock panel" and soldered it in. When the real panel is attached, the LEDs will be at the perfect height for sitting in their respective holes.
10_LED_Trick.jpeg
I really wish I could report that the whole thing worked the first time I plugged it in, but alas, only 25% of it works. I've been over and over the layout, so I'm confident that the problems are all related to solder bridges or imperfect etching between pads. This is the usual culprit, and I generally find the problems pretty quickly. That's what I'll to tomorrow night, after I drill and install the panel.

Questions? Comments?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue May 12, 2020 5:24 am

Absolutely with you on the redrawing of schematics -- whether your own or someone elses.
You have to get right inside the circuit when doing a big complex design like this, so fighting with someone else's or out-dated schematic is just hampering yourself, even if it can be quite time-consuming re-drawing it all. You often find some nice little improvements too while redrawing/rethinking.

Always super impressed by your DIY Dave!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 12, 2020 1:54 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:24 am
Always super impressed by your DIY Dave!
Thanks, Bugbrand! It goes without saying that I've always been blown away by your output as well. You are a real inspiration.

Anyway, here's the drilled panel:
12_Drilled_Panel.jpeg
Yeah, that's a lot of holes: 10 1/8" holes (LEDs), 4 3/16" holes (corner mounting holes), 10 1/4" holes (switches), and 40 3/8" holes (pots and jacks), all dressed with one of these bad boys on the back (a critical tool that I can't recommend highly enough):
Deburring_Tool.jpg
This took a while (about an hour) to drill (long enough to listen to Yes's "The Ladder" and some of "Keystudio" -- I've been craving all the post-1981 Yes and ABWH lately, don't know why). The key is to get into a rhythm -- slow and steady really does win the race when drilling aluminum. I set my drill press to its lowest speed and use a drop of green A9 aluminum cutting oil on each hole. When drilling the bigger holes, I barely use just the weight of my arm to pull the press, and I strive for a single continuous ribbon of aluminum coming out of the hole. Even with all those precautions, I found that my 1/4" bit was grabbing the hole and pulling up the panel at the end, and this causes slightly ratty holes. Luckily, the 3/8" bit behaved much better (it's probably sharper and straighter).

Anyway, now I'm gonna go out and see if the stuff actually fits into all the holes, but I'm not going to "install" the panel completely until I have finished troubleshooting. I hope it goes relatively smoothly.

Also, I hope I don't have too much trouble installing those four "EOC" LEDs, because they are free-flying. The upper ones will be under the PCB, so the wires will have to come around the bottom of it. Also, wiring up the jacks may be difficult because the PCB comes almost right down to them, and there is little if any room for the pin headers. We shall see.

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Tue May 12, 2020 3:47 pm

:eek: :woah: :coffee-cheers:
i use to drink & smoke.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 pm

It all fits, bitches!
13_Stuffed_Panel_1.jpeg
14_Stuffed_Panel_2.jpeg
Today's mantra: TRUST THE GRID !!

I got a bit lucky with those pin headers at the bottom of the Panel Board, which are for connecting to the jacks and the EOC LEDs. I used 90-degree pin headers, which you can bend to any angle you want. I bent them as far as they could go (they are actually touching pin sockets coming from the Translator Board), and they just cleared the jacks. Also, all the solder tabs on the jacks are clear. All I have to do is solder 22 wires to the jacks and plug them into their respective pin headers, and then I'm done with the build (other than troubleshooting). That'll take about 20 minutes. Oh yeah, I also have to hook up the EOC LEDs -- that will probably be difficult and take more time because I'll have to do flying wires, and also glue the LEDs into the panel holes (Do I have any suitable glue? Hmmm...).

And, before y'all ask, yes, those two jacks in the middle which go through the holes on the Panel Board cleared the Translator Board -- there is about a 1/16" between the solder tabs and the solder-side of the board. I won't even have to bend the tabs over (although I may, just a little, for shits and giggles).

My next post will include a link to the demo video of the fully functional and complete module (fingers crossed).

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Oh, and one trick I forgot to mention in a previous post:

One thing which made laying out the Panel Board a whole lot easier was the discovery that these Alpha pots, when installed alongside mini toggle switches, are guaranteed to clear the top of the PCB underneath by at least 1/16" (maybe 3/32") when they are pulled up by their nuts. The switches guarantee it by holding the panel off of the PCB by a certain distance. That means that jumper wires can be installed underneath where the pots will sit, and they won't touch. Components cannot be (although you might get away with a resistor or diode), but in any case, that really made the layout a whole lot easier.
Last edited by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch on Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 pm

:miley:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 am

I found a few minor layout errors and a solder bridge on the Panel Board -- kludged 'em right up. Also replaced a partly dodgy 4027 dual JK flip-flop, and now two of the four channels are working perfectly (B and D, if you're wondering) and the other two (A and C) are doing nothing (except that the EOC LEDs are shining continuously). Could be a another dodgy chip that they both share, or maybe something isn't getting powered -- the fact that both channels are dead gives me hope that it will be an easy problem to find, cuz it is most likely something that they share that isn't working.

I hope that tomorrow I'll get it all working and then I can post a vid. I also want to change some resistors I forgot to change for 15V (from 12V) which will make the attacks in exponential mode a little less linear, and I want to increase the resistances on the LEDs cuz they're a little bright for my taste.

I fuckin' love electronics, but I must confess that I find troubleshooting exhausting.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Thu May 14, 2020 4:09 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 am
I fuckin' love electronics, but I must confess that I find troubleshooting exhausting.
With you there.
But it can give you serious euphoria if you finlly succeed :sb:

Keep it coming, Doc!
Someday I put a poster of you over my bed! :doh:
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

Return to “Music Tech DIY”