No love for the Axoloti DSP Board?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
jupiter8
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Post by jupiter8 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:16 am

flts wrote:Here is the relatively up-to-date object list:

Factory objects: http://www.privatepublic.de/public/fact ... tlist.html
Community objects (they come with the distribution): http://www.privatepublic.de/public/comm ... tlist.html

So you get both quite high level objects ("tape delay" emulations, simple reverbs, ready-made drum synth voices, biquad filters, panners...) and quite low level ones (delay lines, math objects, simple oscillators, analog and digital voltage i/o, etc.), and everything in between. You can mix them freely or just focus on the higher level objects if you want to.

Aside that, people obviously share their own (sub)patches. There are a couple of cool reverbs, filtered stereo delays, chorus patches etc. shared on the Axoloti forum for example, and you can combine what you want from them as long as there's enough memory and processor cycles available.
Holy balls! There's like a million modules in there.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Post by thetechnobear » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:53 am

mwvm wrote:Clds.
Not 100%. The pitch is a few semitones and the density is a bit buggy.
Easy to assign the axocontrol.

I didn't do the required extra work to get the axocontrol to do the blend options but it is doable within the software...I think

oops, I know what I got wrong with the pitch... i'll fix it.

density, I checked the code, I cant see anything obviously wrong, It would be handy if you could give me some more info.
as I mentioned on the axo forum, I dont have a eurorack system (so no clouds/elements), so Im kind of 'flying blind' when testing these.


if anyone that has both an axo and also clouds/elements in eurorack, Id love to talk... it would be useful if we could run some side by side tests to fine tune a few things.


... also please bare in mind, Im not trying to do a perfect 'emulation', in some ways, I like being able to push the parameters past what the module allows, to just 'see what happens' :)

User avatar
secretkillerofnames
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 am
Location: Brisvagueness

Post by secretkillerofnames » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Just ordered one of these. :banana:

Filling out my collection of virtual modular hardware (Aira FX, System-1m, Nord Modular).

Can't wait!

@thetechnobear are you the developer?

Your posts on Madrona Labs forum about MPE were very helpful.

User avatar
secretkillerofnames
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 am
Location: Brisvagueness

Post by secretkillerofnames » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 pm

snaper wrote:I've just finished rackin' my into a 19", 1U case.
Love it. Wish I had more time to experiment with it :S
Planning on doing this - care to share a picture?

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Post by thetechnobear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:25 pm

secretkillerofnames wrote:Just ordered one of these. :banana:

Filling out my collection of virtual modular hardware (Aira FX, System-1m, Nord Modular).

Can't wait!

@thetechnobear are you the developer?

Your posts on Madrona Labs forum about MPE were very helpful.

Im not THE developer, that would be Johannes... but I am an active developer for it.
(and specifically, did put the axo objects/fw together for clouds/elements)

Marizu
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:12 pm

Post by Marizu » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:28 am

jupiter8 wrote:Holy balls! There's like a million modules in there.
Yep,and that's the biggest problem that I have finding my way around it!
There are so many variants of everything that it is difficult to find the appropriate one to use. The documentation in the editor is next to non-existent, so that won't help you.
Some of the variants look to be attempts to shave a few cpu cycles at the expense of some other limitation which will cripple you further down the patching process.
I loved my Nord Modular because it just worked.
I like Patchblocks as, despite being much more limited, I can focus on trying to perform the task that is in my mind.

User avatar
geecen
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:00 am
Location: Gateshead

Post by geecen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:37 am

Marizu wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:Holy balls! There's like a million modules in there.
Yep,and that's the biggest problem that I have finding my way around it!
There are so many variants of everything that it is difficult to find the appropriate one to use. The documentation in the editor is next to non-existent, so that won't help you.
Some of the variants look to be attempts to shave a few cpu cycles at the expense of some other limitation which will cripple you further down the patching process.
I loved my Nord Modular because it just worked.
I like Patchblocks as, despite being much more limited, I can focus on trying to perform the task that is in my mind.
I know what you mean, but I guess it's just a consequence of making it such an open platform. Anyone (once verified) can put their own modules into the community library, which will appear in everyone's patch browser. If you stick to the 'official' modules you might find it less overwhelming. The community involvement is also what makes it pretty great though, so it's a trade off. Pure data, for example, is at a mature stage where there is good documentation for mosut stuff, but that has taken a LOOOOONG time!

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Post by thetechnobear » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:21 am

Id echo @greecen

a) initially stick to the factory objects, these are basically fundamental building blocks, and most have help patches associated with them, which demonstrate how they can be used.

b) go thru the tutorial and demo patches, these highlights many of the most important objects.

then experiment, be playful, if something doesn't work, post it on the forum and ask why... we have all been new to axoloti, so know what its like starting out.
patches can be uploaded to the forum, and with a simple cut n paste other users can run your patches to help diagnose issues, or make suggestions.
(this is why we called it a 'community')

tip: posts that show where your current attempt is, get better/more detailed response, than posts that just say, "how do I ...? " - this is partly because these general questions have all been asked many times before, so a simple forum search will yield something to get you started

of course there is still lots of room for improvement, in all areas - axoloti is still under active development.
(hint: we do have plans for improving the current library organisation)

so my #1 tip, dive in, experiment, have fun .. then ask questions.
getting your feet wet / immersed is really the only way to learn axoloti.
(actually this is basically true of all programming)

User avatar
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 pm

thetechnobear wrote:of course there is still lots of room for improvement, in all areas - axoloti is still under active development.
(hint: we do have plans for improving the current library organisation)
I know this is a minor thing, but do you know if there are any plans to make the UI a little "prettier"? Some modules are a bit ungainly and the "PD look" cn sometime make it harder to differentiate on module from another in a complex patch. I would love a method to at least color modules or something.

I have a Nord G1 and G2 and love their editor. The pull down module selection is much faster than the Axo's menu driven one (I understand the Axo is designed for expansion). I know you are not the developer, but you seem to be involved in the forum much more than I am (which is VERY minimal right now), but have you heard of any GUI developing going on?
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

mongrol
Common Wiggler
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:44 pm

Post by mongrol » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:58 am

Yes, there is plans for improving the GUI. Font size is of a particular bane of mine as I use quite hires screens and I know some code has been commited to work towards scaling. Not sure about general look and feel though, since it's JavaFX there isn't much you can do.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Post by thetechnobear » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:02 am

ersatzplanet wrote: I have a Nord G1 and G2 and love their editor. The pull down module selection is much faster than the Axo's menu driven one (I understand the Axo is designed for expansion). I know you are not the developer, but you seem to be involved in the forum much more than I am (which is VERY minimal right now), but have you heard of any GUI developing going on?
Im not THE developer, but I do contribute to the main code base of axoloti (e.g. I wrote the user library code) , so I work/talk with Johannes regularly :)

the scaling changes @mongrol referred too, this was done by another developer (its great when others get involved), originally it caused performance issues for the UI,so was pulled - since then he has completely rewritten this and has made some other cool framework changes - we now have this in the new dev branch, so assuming we encounter no issues, this will be in the next release. - If we are lucky, perhaps he may come back to do some more UI updates.

Johannes and I are currently focusing on some fundamental changes (things that we have talked about even before Axoloti was released) - they will make the platform growth more sustainable, and also make it easier to use.

Its early days for this dev cycle (which we plan to be a little longer/ambitious) so I cant really say what will be included, there are so many things we want to do... but they cannot all be in one release. but of course, we want to improve usability with every release.

I will say though, the next release will be worth the wait :nana:


as for user interface,
G2 I dont have one, but Johannes does, so he does take inspiration from this , and we both know Max/PD/Reaktor so plenty of other sources of usability inspiration.
but yeah, Axoloti is also different in places, because there is not a fixed set of objects, and they are not all created by the same team (i.e. you cannot enforce guidelines/style) ... but I agree object selection needs to be faster/slicker. (btw, it does have a complete keyboard interface, so its not as slow as it may at first appear... you dont have to touch the mouse!)

object layout is something we have ideas for, in both short and mid term.. so I hope this help improve patch readability.

Clive
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:59 am

Post by Clive » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 am

I too would prefer proper documentation over new features.

TheSlowGrowth
Common Wiggler
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:44 am

Post by TheSlowGrowth » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm fairly new to the axoloti universe but I have to say I find the editor very easy to use. Drag&drop ala Nord is not an option, there are simply too many choices. But just typing some keywords into the object browser gives you the results so quickly, what else would you want? E.g. type "dial" or even just "di" and it will bring up the dial objects. Its not slow and you don't need to learn shortcuts to be fast with it.

For me, axoloti is a superb tool. In just a couple of hours I made a synth engine for my linnstrument, or with a few clicks a bass groove for a jam session, or a reverb for my minibrute, etc. etc. The fact that I can write my own objects is absolutely wonderful and makes the platform even more appealing to use.

User avatar
i.murray.fraser
Common Wiggler
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Post by i.murray.fraser » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 pm

I just ordered this. Right now I'm fiddling around with the Patcher. Looks really intuitive.

User avatar
adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by adnauseam » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:03 am

TheSlowGrowth wrote:But just typing some keywords into the object browser gives you the results so quickly, what else would you want? E.g. type "dial" or even just "di" and it will bring up the dial objects. Its not slow and you don't need to learn shortcuts to be fast with it.
This and then copy+paste are your friend.

The issues I'm having are related to finding objects I liked and used in other patches previously.

"Did they call it a phasor? Saw? LFO? Oscillator? Sync-something-or-another?"

Hopefully they implement both a Tag system to categorize objects in a personalized way and even better a favorites list that you create yourself would be rad.

It's really a sweet sounding platform. I find it fun and fairly simple to use.

I encourage those who have enjoyed the Pure-Data, MAX, Nord-Modular platforms to grab an Axoloti and join in on the fun. I see myself learning and making instruments with mine for years to come.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Post by thetechnobear » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:20 am

tags would be useful, and also favourites/recently used objects.

I don't think tags will completely solve the issue, as it still comes down to classification, and for user objects, this will always be down to the author.
(similar to the existing hierarchy, it helps but is not full proof)


anyway, this is all part of a major update for the object browser, and also some things changing around the community libraries.

one small point, the search mechanism, also searches for path matches, and also objects descriptions - so searching for saw, will bring up phasors too.(because I described phasors as being 'saw like' :)) - they will be lower in the list, as direct name matches are prioritized... for course broader searches will always suffer hitting too many objects, again, a revised object browser will help this, by allowing more filtering criteria.

User avatar
adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by adnauseam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:25 am

thetechnobear wrote: a revised object browser will help this, by allowing more filtering criteria.
I'm all for some sort of search expression functionality.

name="lfo" category="lfo" author="t*bear"

Wildcards like the asterisk and specific search words in quotes as a start could do lots.

Anyways. I'll take the discussion back to the community forum. :doh:

User avatar
drox
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am
Location: Sydney AUS

Post by drox » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:42 am

ratsnake wrote:axoloti alpha tester here o/
really love the project and learned a lot by tinkering around with it. Taking a break from it but can't wait to return - made a sq80 waveform oscillator synth with fm and weird memory allocation automation.

Also the Axoloti Control is still being worked on.
Did you share this in the forum anywhere? Would love to check it out

User avatar
drox
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am
Location: Sydney AUS

Post by drox » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:47 am

I was wondering if you were willing to share your patch with all of the effects and presets integrated so I can try and reverse engineer it.

I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Thanks in advance
kausto wrote:
drox wrote:
Awesome, This is great. I was thinking of doing something similar with a a doepfer pocket control. Do you have video or audio of it in action you can share?
I use it as send effect off OT cue out in studio mode

GrainFreezer was made of Johannes' Grain Table module
https://clyp.it/omr0l3mh mostly noticeable at the end of snippet


Grainverb was made of Johannes' Grainverb module with added feedback path through Johannes' Bode freqshifter.
https://clyp.it/pupz1win - automated grainverb. You can hear it on background mostly
https://clyp.it/qrp1nsyy it can sound pretty wild - check noise bursts at the end ))

LushFDN is my try in reverbs creation. I made it after reading Tom Erbe's paper about ErbeVerb
https://clyp.it/fycsv0dn this reverb is pretty noticeable here

http://community.axoloti.com/t/reverbs-creation/1071/27 more examples here

There is also 8 allpass loop in style of Keith Barr with pitch shifter in feedback path.
Nothing special here.
https://clyp.it/3s3zrgw2 you can hear it on kicks at the beginning (or at the end)

BBDBode is a pseudo BBD (since it was made of regular delay modules) with Bode freq shifter in feedback path. It can sound pretty wild too but i have no examples yet.

4layergranulator was made of plain table record and table read modules with phasor
https://clyp.it/jlkmbicc
https://clyp.it/32mw4iic
It mostly produces a swarm of sound particles

User avatar
drox
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am
Location: Sydney AUS

Post by drox » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:54 am

I was wondering if you were willing to share your patch with all of the effects and presets integrated so I can try and reverse engineer it.

I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Thanks in advance
kausto wrote:
drox wrote:
Awesome, This is great. I was thinking of doing something similar with a a doepfer pocket control. Do you have video or audio of it in action you can share?
I use it as send effect off OT cue out in studio mode

GrainFreezer was made of Johannes' Grain Table module
https://clyp.it/omr0l3mh mostly noticeable at the end of snippet


Grainverb was made of Johannes' Grainverb module with added feedback path through Johannes' Bode freqshifter.
https://clyp.it/pupz1win - automated grainverb. You can hear it on background mostly
https://clyp.it/qrp1nsyy it can sound pretty wild - check noise bursts at the end ))

LushFDN is my try in reverbs creation. I made it after reading Tom Erbe's paper about ErbeVerb
https://clyp.it/fycsv0dn this reverb is pretty noticeable here

http://community.axoloti.com/t/reverbs-creation/1071/27 more examples here

There is also 8 allpass loop in style of Keith Barr with pitch shifter in feedback path.
Nothing special here.
https://clyp.it/3s3zrgw2 you can hear it on kicks at the beginning (or at the end)

BBDBode is a pseudo BBD (since it was made of regular delay modules) with Bode freq shifter in feedback path. It can sound pretty wild too but i have no examples yet.

4layergranulator was made of plain table record and table read modules with phasor
https://clyp.it/jlkmbicc
https://clyp.it/32mw4iic
It mostly produces a swarm of sound particles

User avatar
drox
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am
Location: Sydney AUS

Post by drox » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:54 am

ratsnake wrote:axoloti alpha tester here o/
really love the project and learned a lot by tinkering around with it. Taking a break from it but can't wait to return - made a sq80 waveform oscillator synth with fm and weird memory allocation automation.

Also the Axoloti Control is still being worked on.
Did you share this in the forum anywhere? Would love to check it out

1n
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 am
Location: UK

Post by 1n » Wed May 10, 2017 4:15 pm

I got one in the post today, and already made a few useful effects patches to process external audio.

It's fairly simple to understand, quick to work with, and a lot of fun. A couple of patch modules are eating and swamping the memory with no obvious cause. But I'm going to use it for a while and see how far I get.

Immediately less 'math-y' than Pure Data to my non-math eyes – and I've only used modules, and not code – so less intimidating, despite the 'no instructions, please yourself' approach.

I really like it.

merchant
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 2:49 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by merchant » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28 am

Anyone in London fancy letting me pay them to build my Axo Control kit? Just haven't got time to do it. PM me please :tu:

Edit: read instructions, it's easy.
Last edited by merchant on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 pm

My new Doepfer A-193 arrived yesterday. It is no longer in production but AH had some in stock. It is a CV to MIDI CC converter and I will be making a Eurorack panel with it and an Axoloti behind it wired together with a bunch of pots also wired directly to the Axo. Should be fun. It will have 16 CV ins and as many analog knobs/switches as I can fit.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

User avatar
scozbor
100th Member!
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:17 pm
Location: Maleny

Post by scozbor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:59 pm

I recently discovered this amazing bit of tech, and promptly ordered one!
Super excited!!

AMAZING WORK :hail: :hail:

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”