No love for the Axoloti DSP Board?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

blaerg
Common Wiggler

Post by blaerg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Mine arrived this morning, easy to set up and do some basic tests. Can't wait to integrate with Eurorack, Nord Micro, DAWs, TidalMIDI and recursive in/out of audio and control (CV to MIDI, MIDI to CV) and back again.

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 pm

any one know of a u.s. source for cases?

think I'm getting too old for a dremel cut enclosure.

Broadwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Broadwave » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:48 am

I've built mine into the Code 61 - Loads of instantly editable functions off the bat :bananaguitar:

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:13 pm

sizone wrote:any one know of a u.s. source for cases?

think I'm getting too old for a dremel cut enclosure.
https://github.com/vormplus/AxolotiEnclosure

blaerg
Common Wiggler

Post by blaerg » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:22 pm

I hear you... just an off-the-shelf case. I'd like that too, for now a cigar box with one of the sides busted off is good enough. Because not everyone is a DIY hobbyist.

mokomo
Common Wiggler

Post by mokomo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:43 am

Broadwave wrote:I've built mine into the Code 61 - Loads of instantly editable functions off the bat :bananaguitar:
Very clean job! I've butchered a few project boxes trying to achieve this.

blaerg
Common Wiggler

Post by blaerg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:32 pm

https://store.believotron.com/

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:05 pm

I think its about time to get one of these. Curious if there is an easy way to communicate through serial with an arduino just to have the best of both worlds? Especially if I am looking to have pages of controls or do some other clever stuff with the interface writing it in code may be the easiest option.

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Mine's paired with a Teensy controller over UART (throwing midi at it). Easy to do.

http://community.axoloti.com/t/mongiloti-synth/1839

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm

I finally got around to finishing my first 'real' patch. Nothing too fancy, a stereo LP/BP filter with midi synced LFO rates and some saturation. Using the beatstep as a controller.

I can see that my patch is pretty inefficient , but I guess that won't matter until I'm attempting bigger and better things. Still only just getting to know the environment....

Sounds great though. Perfect for the volca FM :sb: :sb:

bacha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bacha » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 pm

This is such an underrated thing! The communitiy is amazing, almost unbelievable. I've built a synth for my BA work at the university with couple of sensors and interface elements.

I used couple of distance sensors, light dependant resistors and a 10-turn pot. Outer case is laser engraved from 2-layer acrylic.

Read more on my web http://www.filipruisl.com/work/chlorophyll

I also have 2 of them, but I'm still waiting for some convenient eurorack 'converter shield' if there's gonna be any. I was stoked about Euxoloti but the project died sometime ago.

Is anyone here working on an Eurorack version / application of Axoloti?

cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 pm

I’m pretty sure most of us who own the axo are eager for some sort of euro implementation. Also drooling over the axoloti control which is apparently still in the works but has no time frame for release :deadbanana:

oisin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oisin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:45 pm

nice work, bacha.

honestly im more interested in finally getting the axo control going, than getting axoloti into eurorack (far too powerful hardware + well developed platform to screw behind a cheap euro faceplate ;)

would love to be able to use it as a power standalone unit (display ! presets!) for some custom made applications.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:56 am

Awesome project, bacha!!!!

I also don't really care about a connection to Eurorack. Same regarding AxoControl or other premade interfaces. It is so easy to make your own custom interfaces or use any kind of MIDI controller, that I never yearned for another solution. Making a more powerful Axoloti Core with more audio inputs and outputs would be nice, but I'm also still scratching the current version's surface.

The beauty of it, in my opinion, is its ease of use. You can whip up a lot of cool stuff in no time at all and experiment with new ideas without hassle. I've built two complete custom instruments in cases and lots of small stuff and between the initial idea to a working prototype were only a few hours at most.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:56 pm

To me, this is one of the overlooked powers of the Axoloti. It is nice that you can program it like a Nord to be lots of different things, but it excels at being a DEDICATED synth module. It is cheap enough that you can pick a function and build a box and put the controls need for it to do that and then after programming it, not ever program it again.

If there was an easy way to read a pin matrix (probably scanning it sequentially) it would be great to make a Semi-Modular on it. Something like a Synthi A. Someday somebody probably will do that.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

blaerg
Common Wiggler

Post by blaerg » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:03 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:If there was an easy way to read a pin matrix (probably scanning it sequentially) it would be great to make a Semi-Modular on it. Something like a Synthi A.
Indeed, that would be incredible!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:33 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:It is cheap enough that you can pick a function and build a box and put the controls need for it to do that and then after programming it, not ever program it again.
Exactly! I've got five Axoloti Cores by now. Three are built into cases (two instruments and one Midi/FX sequencer), oen was programmed to be an Octatrack controller which really should get its own case too and one is a spare for trying out new stuff :mrgreen:
ersatzplanet wrote:If there was an easy way to read a pin matrix (probably scanning it sequentially) it would be great to make a Semi-Modular on it. Something like a Synthi A. Someday somebody probably will do that.
Oh yes, that would also be great! More analog and digital pins!!!

SirSickSik
Learning to Wiggle

Anyone wants to sell one?

Post by SirSickSik » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 am

Anyone here who is tired of his axoloti? (Don't think so, but can at least ask..)
I want more of 'm XD

anyways, here are some audio example of modules/patches that I've made as contributor "sss".

https://soundcloud.com/sirsicksik/random-happy-feelings
random controlled tonnetz pattern generator (could also be done manually of course)

https://soundcloud.com/sirsicksik/broke ... i-sampling
a sample-bank generator and accompanying sampleplayers and granulator, controlled by a 16 channel module loosely based on the wogglebug with a bunch of extra's.

https://soundcloud.com/sirsicksik/crashtest
5-board tekno demo, trying out a setup

https://soundcloud.com/sirsicksik/types-of-delay
several modules based on delays (reverb, delay, chorus, etc)

https://soundcloud.com/sirsicksik/axoltek
2 axoloti boards generating some tekno

https://soundcloud.com/sirsicksik/wavetraining
demo of an wavetable oscillator with multiple ways of scanning through the wavetables

oh, and btw, the module shown in my profile picture has also been realised for the axoloti :)
An 8-channel anything-2-anything morpher. Morphs through the 8 inputs for all the 8 outputs independently to be able to route any audio/control input to any output or a mix between any two inputs (order of the morph can be manually entered, just like the mutable instrument "frames").

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Axoloti down?

Post by electricanada » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:55 pm

How long has the forum been down? Is this a temporary hiccup or a bad sign?

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:02 pm

Temporary , it was up earlier

I’ve emailed Johannes, so hopefully back up soon

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Oh sh!t, I just ordered one. What have I done? What will I use this thing for? Can it be made to play in just intonation without being a coding genius?

blaerg
Common Wiggler

Post by blaerg » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:49 am

electricanada wrote:What have I done?
You made a really good decision
electricanada wrote:Can it be made to play in just intonation without being a coding genius?
Pretty sure, yes. Coding not really needed, patching knowledge will be essential though. There are tons of community patches so if you're not really into the 'how do I do this' aspect, and more into the 'I want a tool that does such-and-such' you'll be fine.
electricanada wrote:What will I use this thing for?
There's thousands of things I'll never even get to, and I'm okay with that.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:39 pm

blaerg wrote:
electricanada wrote:What have I done?
You made a really good decision
electricanada wrote:Can it be made to play in just intonation without being a coding genius?
Pretty sure, yes. Coding not really needed, patching knowledge will be essential though. There are tons of community patches so if you're not really into the 'how do I do this' aspect, and more into the 'I want a tool that does such-and-such' you'll be fine.
electricanada wrote:What will I use this thing for?
There's thousands of things I'll never even get to, and I'm okay with that.
I think I'll make an fx box first. How hard would it be to get some CV from my Eurorack into the Axoloti?

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:39 pm

delete double post

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:19 pm

electricanada wrote:I think I'll make an fx box first. How hard would it be to get some CV from my Eurorack into the Axoloti?
Unfortunately to drive the Axo with CV you will have to add some external circuitry to limit and polarize the incoming CV to something the Axo understands. Basically it wants to see only 0 to +5V and you can damage it by exceeding that range too much. There are some projects out there adding the circuitry needed (the Eurolotti and others). I myself went the more expensive, but for me more flexible direction, of buying a CV>MIDI CC converter module (I got the Doepfer A-192) and that gives me 16 CV ins to the Axo (or any other MIDI synth). Wiring pots and switches to the Axo is VERY easy and the chances of damaging the unit are much lower this way so I am making a module with 16 pots connected. The Pots and MIDI can both work at the same time so 32 inputs ought to be more than enough.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Music Tech DIY”