DIY Mutable successfull builds hall of fame

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Having built Braids and Elements I thought I'd have a go at Warps. It functions correctly and draws the specified current but the 3.3V main regulator gets very warm (much more than Braids or Elements)

Is this because the board is quite small and thus not much heatsink or is this normal (the regulator is dissipating about 900mW)

Or is there a ghost in the machine? :woah:

wavedepletion
Common Wiggler

Post by wavedepletion » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 pm

cnicht wrote:Having built Braids and Elements I thought I'd have a go at Warps. It functions correctly and draws the specified current but the 3.3V main regulator gets very warm (much more than Braids or Elements)

Is this because the board is quite small and thus not much heatsink or is this normal (the regulator is dissipating about 900mW)

Or is there a ghost in the machine? :woah:
Haven't built my Warps yet. But this sounds normal, regulators get pretty hot. The LM1117 has an internal thermal shutdown capability to prevent overheating.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:03 am

Thanks for that.

Anyone done the Warps finger test?

search64
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by search64 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:32 am

Another Peaks is born, with all red LEDs.

wavedepletion
Common Wiggler

Post by wavedepletion » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Tides completed. Using the lovely Sheep panel by Oscillosaurus. Loaded the stock firmware for now, since I'm pretty well set in the wavefolder VCO department.

Had an issue with the Range LED only lighting up Red, but not green. I replaced the LED and it's associated resistors, which fixed that problem.

Only other thing I'm not 100% sure about, is this part of the calibration procedure concerning the bipolar output:
Bipolar output offset calibration

Remove any patch cable from the trigger input.
Set the mode to AD or AR (mode LED is red or green).
Set the range to medium (range LED is off).
Measure the voltage on the bipolar output. Adjust the trimmer on the back of the board so that this voltage reaches 0V.
Following this, the lowest I can get it to go is 0.36V before the trimmer bottoms out/clicks. I can raise the voltage but not go any lower than that. Does this sound odd or can anyone else confirm what is normal? A resistance problem perhaps? The output otherwise seems to "work" okay, at least in the sense that I am getting a bipolar envelope out from it.

squarewavesurfer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by squarewavesurfer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 pm

I just finished Shelves to complete my Mutable themed case. All are DIY except for Tides, Warps, Frames, and Clouds.

modmac
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modmac » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 pm

For both look and feel, what are your favourite pots to use with black Mutable panels?
There are so many cool looking builds here with much more than just Rogans.

PHOBoSapiens
Common Wiggler

Post by PHOBoSapiens » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:44 am

I finished my first Mutable Instruments module without any problems: Braids (The colored knobs are temporary).
:banana:

(I documented the build at electro-music.com)
"My perf, it's full of holes!"

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Great case, squarewavesurfer. I'm super jealous of your OEM Sheep panel. Wish those were still available.

oks2024
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oks2024 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:41 pm

My first mutable instrument builds, three Links and two Branches, with 3dprinted panels. I hope to add more details on the panels, and then paint them so it looks a bit nicer.

stringsthings
Common Wiggler

Post by stringsthings » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 am

hermbot wrote:Great case, squarewavesurfer. I'm super jealous of your OEM Sheep panel. Wish those were still available.
Modular Addict has 'em. I gots one from them!

sheep panel

beautyofdecay_
no maps for this area

Post by beautyofdecay_ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 am

Finally received a mini JTAG to JTAG cable yesterday so I could try and load the firmware into my DIY Braids build.
To my surprise: it worked first time! :mrgreen:

Most of the SMT devices were not a problem to solder but it was the first time I soldered something as small as the STM32F405RGT6.

Achievement unlocked. 8-)

mightycoco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mightycoco » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 am

I'm really longing to build some clouds and elements modules. But I can't find any BOMS and where to place which element. Will I get a build plan when I order a PCB? Like which resistor goes to what place?
The only stuff I could find where some incomplete Mouser projects. But they don't tell me, what i.e. R1 is, as well...

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:14 am

The PCB should have component designation printed on it

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:23 am

mightycoco wrote:I'm really longing to build some clouds and elements modules. But I can't find any BOMS and where to place which element. Will I get a build plan when I order a PCB? Like which resistor goes to what place?
The only stuff I could find where some incomplete Mouser projects. But they don't tell me, what i.e. R1 is, as well...
you need to refer to the eagle files, having them open while you build is easiest, all the info is on oliviers github, including full boms in excel format that you can upload to mouser and other stores to order parts

dnos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dnos » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 am

Add another Ripples to the list!

This was my first DIY module (and first time doing surface mount) and it was a success. No fancy tools -- just a soldering iron, flux, and tweezers! If I can do this, then anyone can! The hardest part is just sourcing the components.

Side note: it was terrifying plugging it up for the first time not knowing for sure if it would blow up or not! I think the next thing I need to get is a module tester or something!

dnos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dnos » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:22 am

dnos wrote:Add another Ripples to the list!

This was my first DIY module (and first time doing surface mount) and it was a success. No fancy tools -- just a soldering iron, flux, and tweezers! If I can do this, then anyone can! The hardest part is just sourcing the components.

Side note: it was terrifying plugging it up for the first time not knowing for sure if it would blow up or not! I think the next thing I need to get is a module tester or something!
Oops, here's the pics:

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:39 pm

After struggling with my rings build for a while (had it flashed and thought it was good to go but I found it didn't function correctly after I already installed the pots and jackets making it extra difficult to diagnose) I finally pulled out a microscope to help me look at the super small leads. This pointed me towards a couple leads to rework and with a healthy serving of flux to bless the process it is now up and running!

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:11 pm

A few of my recent and not so recent successful builds...

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:48 am

they look good, i like the little graphics on the rings

stringsthings
Common Wiggler

Post by stringsthings » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:32 am

Those are some impressive panels!

Justadeen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Justadeen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:55 am

Woah this thread is nuts.

diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diablojoy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:08 am

2 x ripples finished and working and also I finally managed to get my elements programmed and working
after literally months of trying :bang:
programming these things is by far the hardest part of the build for me
now onto a ubraids , a peaks and a grids .
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.

wavedepletion
Common Wiggler

Post by wavedepletion » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Just finished a Warps

StateVariable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by StateVariable » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Here's Clouds in Digisound 80 format:

This is on perfboard wired point-to-point with verowire. I'm curious if anyone else builds this way?

I expected I'd have to fiddle with the layout to get noise down, there was a bit of whine and buzz at one point when it was spread out on the bench but it's actually very quiet now it's all mounted up. Sounds great.

I flashed the STM32F from a Raspberry Pi based on this article and it was very smooth, recommended. I can share my config files & connections for this chip if anyone's interested?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”