Bi-N-Tic Build Options

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm

just got one of these up and running fully last night. thought to scribble some notes down:
  • * the FET selection was essential to getting the oscillator working, tried a few I had lying around but it didn't work properly until i put in a 2N4391

* in fiddling with it to test the switching circuitry i tried putting other oscillators into the 4024 clock in - this works and would be an interesting mod. I’m sure it’s not anything like spec for a sensible switched capacitor filter but the whole thing is a little crazy so why not

* voltage control of bandwidth would be a lot of fun

* the useful resonance behaviour is somewhat stacked at the top of the taper (but it’s cool resonance)

* the breakout/feedback paths from the 4024 are interesting. i was expecting sub octave sounds (which they technically are), but the 3 most musically useful subs are going out to the 4051 while the breakout pins are /16, /32, /64, /128 subdivisions which are just clicking or inaudible at most oscillator settings. i don't know what people are doing with these as available outputs? also wondering about tapping pin 11 or 12 as a breakout to have a more normal suboctave on the oscillator.

* that panel above is amazing!
all up it’s very interesting and sounds cool, a lot of fun to play + experiment with and healthy dose of overall wrongness. adding FM and generally freaking out the oscillator leads to nice deranged results

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:56 am

OK so I am about to finish a rev1.2 board I started 10 years ago!
I am going to bypass the section before the clock and add parts to match the 1.4 schematics, on a stripboard.
However what the heck is up with R1-2-3-4-5? no values on the schematic and on the built board photo they are not installed. No notes on this in the docs that I can find.
Can someone with a working 1.4 help me out here?
THANKS!

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Have to check my pcb Version
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:22 am

mine is the Rev.1.1
all parts are placed.
but if someone is interested in my module i put this in the FS section today
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:19 am

Reese P. Dubin wrote:OK so I am about to finish a rev1.2 board I started 10 years ago!
I am going to bypass the section before the clock and add parts to match the 1.4 schematics, on a stripboard.
However what the heck is up with R1-2-3-4-5? no values on the schematic and on the built board photo they are not installed. No notes on this in the docs that I can find.
THANKS!
Check out the CGS 48 VCO, this part of the circuit is the same.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:15 am

Reese P. Dubin wrote:However what the heck is up with R1-2-3-4-5? no values on the schematic and on the built board photo they are not installed. No notes on this in the docs that I can find.
THANKS!
I am currently stuck with the same issue.
the bad producer wrote:Check out the CGS 48 VCO, this part of the circuit is the same.
Unfortunately not entirely, at least not with the version 0.4 schematic available (the PCB says version 3.0 though, so there may be differences).

This is the respective section in the CGS57 Bi-N-Tic filter:

... and in the CGS48 VCO:

I've outlined the identical parts (except from one cap which is to be left out in the Bi-N-Tic) in orange. R1 and 2 can be found here, and match the info in the CGS57 BOM (240 and 330 kOhm, respectively).

However, the following part (outlined in green) including R3 and 4 is not found in the CGS48 schematic.

Also, I couldn't find R5 anywhere in the schematic :despair:
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:24 am

Hmm interesting! I think R5 is the 100K between pins 5 and 7, checking PCB layout this appears to be the case, must have spoken before thinking, maybe a quick email to Laurie would sort this out!

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:01 am

the bad producer wrote:I think R5 is the 100K between pins 5 and 7, checking PCB layout this appears to be the case
Yep, sounds reasonable, I'll check for continuity between the R5 holes and the IC pins.
the bad producer wrote:a quick email to Laurie
[x] done.

I'll post any updates in this thread :D.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Bi-N-Tic Build Options

Post by Biom » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:48 am

There's definitely a lack of demo's around.
Staring at the panel and reading the description does not help much in this case.
Very curious of what it actually does

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:19 am

It's not a demo per se, but a lot of Bi N Tic on this:

Esp a sweep at 3in 50 and then all the weird noisy bits over the top at the the end (that sort of sound like a wonky vocoder) from about 5min, but basically once you pick it out you'll notice it's all over that track!

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:55 pm

I saw this one a while ago and enjoyed much, along with many other compositions of yours! Glad to know it's this exact module, although, still way too far from understanding it, heh

Return to “Music Tech DIY”