Ian Fritz Build Thread - Slider PCB error fix on pg 3

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Ian Fritz Build Thread - Slider PCB error fix on pg 3

Post by appliancide » Mon May 05, 2014 2:43 pm

I am starting this thread to support the 4U project that Ian and I have been working on, but builders of all formats are welcome to discuss Ian's designs here.

The build docs I sent out for the DoubleDeka boards are for the MOTM versions, so the wrong sliders are listed. The correct ones are listed below.

Also, there are a couple of traces that will need to cut and jumpered, due to an error on the PCB. Details on page 6.

Below are links to the complete BOMs (values only) and Mouser BOMs. I will also list parts that will need to be purchased elsewhere, and some suggestions for finding those parts.
Not included: sockets, connectors, wire, solder, enclosure, pots (except for the multiturns), knobs (except for the multiturns), and anything I forgot.

Panel One (Timbre Tantrum) parts list
Panel One Mouser BOM
Panel One Non-Mouser parts:
3x CA3280 (be careful, lot's of fakes out there, Synthcube or similar highly recommended)
3x 2k 3300ppm/K tempco
20x 45mm 10k linear slide potentiometers with LED - PS45L-R02BR10KN or PS45L-R02BR10K (same, but with dust protection) - Digi-Key has these in stock.
You will also need 16 M2x.4mm screws that are 4-5mm long, as the sliders don't come with them. I used McMaster-Carr part number 90116A009

Panel Two (Chaos Theory) parts list
Panel 2 Mouser BOM
Non-Mouser parts:
1x CA3280 (be careful, lot's of fakes out there, Synthcube or similar highly recommended)
1x 2k 3300ppm/K tempco

I've done my best to be thorough and accurate, but a mistake or two may have escaped my attention.

Check the price breaks, no matter where you buy parts! I noticed several parts that would be cheaper if you rounded up to the next price break while I was putting these together.
Last edited by appliancide on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 17 times in total.

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Thank you so much for the BOM's Paul - :hail: :party: :hail: :party:

Really looking forward to building these.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Fri May 09, 2014 12:46 am

The Mouser BOMs are done and linked in the first post. These are the parts that I will be using to build these panels for my customers and myself.

If you want to save some cash, there are a few places you could do it:

switches - I use E-Switch, or NKK if E-Switch doesn't have the value I need. Taiway or Mountain will be cheaper.

caps - All ceramic caps are NPO/C0G. Check the build docs to see which ones could be regular disk ceramics. Any mica or polystyrene caps can be replaced with C0G/NPO.

matched transistor pairs - There are some pretty expensive ones on the Mouser BOM. Synthcube or similar places may have cheaper alternatives, or you could match your own and save even more.

I will update the first post if I find good deals on anything.

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 am

Parts ordered - having a Mouser project BOM is so helpful when ordering for multiple boards - Thank you Paul :banana:

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Mon May 12, 2014 9:03 pm

I added a note about the DoubleDeka docs above, in case anyone was not using the above BOMs.

I also added 4 100k resistors to the Panel 2 BOM. These are pull-down resistors for the VCA inputs. They are needed to protect the opamp inputs. I will add a little diagram for wiring the 2Q/4Q on panel 2.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Thu May 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Got my panel today! :yay:
The finished product looks great Paul!

I noticed the holes on the panel are smaller than the BUD boat's, and now I'm curious about what method you use for mounting the panel. I've just been drilling and tapping for 4-40 screws, but maybe there's another way?

I started on the Teezer this afternoon, and almost soldered 2 of the resistors (R201/R202) where the ferrite beads (B201/B202) should go. Just wanted to point out the similarity before someone makes the same mistake.

Also, for anyone who hasn't ordered parts yet, I just made a discovery that can save you a few bucks. Some of the most expensive parts in the BOM are the OPA op-amps. I was browsing the TI website yesterday and found that it's incredibly easy to get free samples from them. I put an order in for some OPA2134PA and OPA2227UA (smd but adapters are cheap!) and wasn't even charged a shipping fee :bacon:
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Fri May 16, 2014 12:26 am

I need to order some more boxes, so I haven't bolted one of these new panels into one yet, but I've used #8 and #10 self-tapping screws on past builds. Even on thicker panels like these, it's not too difficult to use them. Softness is a blessing and a curse when it comes to aluminum...plenty of chances to accidentally add some character :lol:

I'll bet your samples ship from Digi-Key. They handle TI's sample program as well as TE Connectivity's (and probably some other companies). The most fun I ever had working for DK was when I was sent to TI's FAE conference in Plano, TX. Granted, 60-70% of the classes I took were way over my head, but learning is better than working any day!

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Fri May 16, 2014 12:38 am

I just added 4 1k resistors for the slider board to the Panel 1 Mouser BOM. They set the current for the LEDs, so any value between 820 and 1.5k should be comfortably bright. I'm building a #1 panel right now, so I will update if I find that range to be too dim or too bright.

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Sat May 17, 2014 10:29 am

Parts all here, iron warmed up, music blaring - just waiting for postman to deliver panels - hope its today :hyper:

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Sat May 17, 2014 11:28 pm

I started bolting up parts to the panels yesterday. 9mm pots may be advisable for a couple of the pots where the spacing is a bit tight. I'm waiting on some parts, but I will update as soon as I have a chance to test fit everything.

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Mon May 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Panels and PCB's arrived today - they look excellent - Thanks Paul.

On to stuffing boards...

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Tue May 20, 2014 9:31 pm

So I've populated first PCB - the Dual 2Q/4Q and started to look at the wire hook up diagram.

Trying to work out how to hook up the 4th mixer channel as marked on the panel vs. the 3-1 mixer thats on the PCB.

I'm thinking if I hook the wiper on the 4th pot to Jx-7, CCW to terminate on Pin 8 of the Jx header and finally CW goes to the jack?

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:tu:

frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz » Wed May 21, 2014 12:33 am

modintx wrote:I'm thinking if I hook the wiper on the 4th pot to Jx-7, CCW to terminate on Pin 8 of the Jx header and finally CW goes to the jack?

Does that sound reasonable?
Yes, that is both reasonable and correct. :grin:

Both pins Jx-6 and Jx-8 are grounded. So the CCW terminal can go to either of those, or simply to one of the other CCW terminals.

I guess I got confused at some point about using the fourth mxr input. Paul initially asked for a 3-in circuit, so that is what ended up on the docs. I designed the board, though, with a fourth input, mainly for my own use. I'm not sure I can recall at what point Paul decided to use all four inputs, but at any rate I never updated the docs to include it. :doh:

Ian

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Wed May 21, 2014 6:38 am

Excellent - thank you very much for the confirmation and quick reply Ian :sb:

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Wed May 21, 2014 4:31 pm

frijitz wrote:I'm not sure I can recall at what point Paul decided to use all four inputs, but at any rate I never updated the docs to include it. :doh:
To be honest, I'm not sure either! :lol:

I believe I started thinking about it when I showed you a verson of panel 2 that didn't include 4 VCAs. Your concern was that people would need to use VCAs on another panel to do wave scanning with the quadrature oscillator. It made enough sense for me to put them back, and add a forth input to two of the mixers. I know I had a version of docs with the forth input, but I don't think I have them anymore. I also had a hard copy printed, but not sure where that got to. :hmm:

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Wed May 21, 2014 4:52 pm

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Wed May 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Ahh super helpful for panel 2 - thanks Paul.

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Thu May 22, 2014 7:41 am

appliancide wrote:
I started bolting up parts to the panels yesterday. 9mm pots may be advisable for a couple of the pots where the spacing is a bit tight. I'm waiting on some parts, but I will update as soon as I have a chance to test fit everything.
I also started to bolt up parts - starting from right to left as I have not mounted the sliders to the daughter board yet. I'm using 16mm Alpha's and completed 5Pulser and 2Q/4Q all ok so far. All the Jacks are in, and only thing found vs. Panel 1 image in original thread is the jack and pot for Exp FM on the Teezer are reversed - I prefer the location on the actual panel and they both look like the layout of the Teezer on the Panel 2 image - so cool.

Will bolt up more tonight and post if I have other observations...

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Thu May 22, 2014 9:13 pm

modintx wrote: I also started to bolt up parts - starting from right to left as I have not mounted the sliders to the daughter board yet. I'm using 16mm Alpha's and completed 5Pulser and 2Q/4Q all ok so far. All the Jacks are in, and only thing found vs. Panel 1 image in original thread is the jack and pot for Exp FM on the Teezer are reversed - I prefer the location on the actual panel and they both look like the layout of the Teezer on the Panel 2 image - so cool.
I can't believe I missed that! :doh: Thankfully the underlying artwork was correct, as that would have bothered me (if I ever noticed it :lol:). I did a quick and dirty fix on the picture to avoid confusion.

The tight spots on panel one will be the pots on the Threeler and Wavolver. I have some 12mm pots on order from Smallbear to see if those will work. The 12mm pots from Smallbear are cheaper than the 9mm pots (even from Tayda). I know the 9mm pots will work, as I have some on there now. If you use 9mm or 12mm pots for the sync amount and linear fm amount on the Teezer, you will not have to trim the box to clear them (same thing on panel two).

On panel two, the pots on the Chaotica are pretty close, and may require 9mm or 12mm pots, at least for a couple of them. The 3 dual-gang pots on the ChaQuO are also really squeezed together if you use 16mm pots. I think it can be done, but heat-shrinking all of the connections is highly recommended.

If you decide to use 9mm pots, wiggler Altitude909 has some for a great price here that you can order from OSHpark. :tu:

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Fri May 23, 2014 7:09 am

Yup confirmed that it's indeed tight in the Threeler / Wavolver area. I'd like to use the 12mm if possible so it would be very much appreciated if you could test fit and share your findings Paul.

Is there a version of the 9mm from Alpha comes with solder lugs or are only the PCB mount versions produced?

Cheers

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Fri May 23, 2014 7:26 am

Wow, I just ordered those Altitude909 adapters via OSHpark - super easy and inexpensive. I'll grab some 9mm pots now to have on hand as well.

:party:

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Fri May 23, 2014 4:06 pm

modintx wrote:Yup confirmed that it's indeed tight in the Threeler / Wavolver area. I'd like to use the 12mm if possible so it would be very much appreciated if you could test fit and share your findings Paul.

Is there a version of the 9mm from Alpha comes with solder lugs or are only the PCB mount versions produced?
I'm getting a Smallbear order on Tuesday with the rest of the panel parts that I need to test fit everything on both panels. I will update then.

I don't know of a solder lug version of the 9mm pots, but the pot chicklets will make them much easier to deal with. I've wired directly to them before, but it's a PITA and I don't recommend it.

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Fri May 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Just wrapping up the DD slider daughter board. Do we need to populate Rx1 thru Rx4? and If so with what values? :hmm:

Also I believe the Mouser BOM is missing a 2nd 4017 IC - DD Daughter board requires QTY 2.

Cheers

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Sat May 24, 2014 2:02 pm

modintx wrote:Just wrapping up the DD slider daughter board. Do we need to populate Rx1 thru Rx4? and If so with what values? :hmm:

Also I believe the Mouser BOM is missing a 2nd 4017 IC - DD Daughter board requires QTY 2.
If you want your sliders to light up, you will need them. Anything between 820 and 1.5k should work for those. I added 4x 1k to the BOM, but I think it was after you had ordered yours. I have 1.2k in mine, so I will update with how bright they with that value once I fire mine up for the first time.

I just added the second 4017 to the Mouser BOM. Thanks for letting me know. I have over half of the parts on hand to finish the personal/demo units that I am building, so your feedback is very helpful.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Sat May 24, 2014 2:05 pm

BTW, I assume your handle is Mod in Texas. Do you prefer Lambrettas or Vespas?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”