Arp 1601 Sequencer clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

4teenth
Common Wiggler

Post by 4teenth » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:19 am

Just ordered a TTSH kit, so I'm now keen on getting in on this, possibly 2 kits as a friend at work is also interested, how do I go about getting on the 'yes please' list?

monno
Common Wiggler

Post by monno » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:13 pm

I´m in the same boat here.
Ordered a TTSH and want to build it a little friend to hang out with.
I am interested in panel, pcb plus boat

Plier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Plier » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:06 am

Same here, I would like to be put on the list for pcb, panel and boat.

Thanks

jhulk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jhulk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:12 am

all put on list

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:57 pm

Vintage synth explorer says this about the sequencer

" It uses the ancient Control Voltage (CV) and Gate protocols to play your sequences on another analog synthesizer. Because of the various types of CV/Gate used by different makers at the time, the ARP Sequencer works perfectly with the ARP 2500, 2600, Odyssey, Avatar and other ARP synthesizers as well as Roland, Oberheim and Sequential Circuits. To interface the Sequencer with other types of CV/Gate capable synths would require a CV converter box."

Once I build this, i was hoping to use it with the Crowminius I'm building and the MME once it becomes available (waiting for Crow to come out with the 8 voice CrOwBX for any Oberheim synth)

Anyway - Could anyone explain what to get for the CV converter box?? And maybe a little more about why you would need that for a synth other than Roland, Oberheim, Arp, Sequential??

Thanks!

Kipling
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:17 pm

aquatarkus wrote:Vintage synth explorer says this about the sequencer

" It uses the ancient Control Voltage (CV) and Gate protocols to play your sequences on another analog synthesizer. Because of the various types of CV/Gate used by different makers at the time, the ARP Sequencer works perfectly with the ARP 2500, 2600, Odyssey, Avatar and other ARP synthesizers as well as Roland, Oberheim and Sequential Circuits. To interface the Sequencer with other types of CV/Gate capable synths would require a CV converter box."

Once I build this, i was hoping to use it with the Crowminius I'm building and the MME once it becomes available (waiting for Crow to come out with the 8 voice CrOwBX for any Oberheim synth)

Anyway - Could anyone explain what to get for the CV converter box?? And maybe a little more about why you would need that for a synth other than Roland, Oberheim, Arp, Sequential??

Thanks!
The ARP sequencer puts out gate signals at around +14V which may be a little high for other makes, and Eurorack modules which I understand generally require +5V gates. The same would apply to the clock out signal, position 1 out and the foot switch out jacks too.

I think you'd need to find out from the relevant developer/supplier of your intended modules whether a +14V gate is OK or too high, in which case a simple resistor/zener diode network, which you could even build into a plastic 3.5mm jack plug on a special patch cable, would do the trick. Failing that it would be quite easy to make up a simple voltage reducer for all these signals on a bit of strip board.

I did a calc some way back through the thread to work out the series resistor for a +5V gate signal which I'll try to find.

I'd be interested to know what the MME requires too as the MME is my next project assuming I can get hold of one - I very much hope so as I've already bought the rare semiconductors for it.

If there were a need for another round, I could have a look into the possibility of making the relevant outputs selectable +14V/+5V via 3-pin headers and shorting jumpers. The PCB is a bit crowded but it could possibly be done.

EDIT: Can't find my original post on suitable resistor values and I don't have any specs on typical 5V gate input impedance, so give this a try. You may have to play with the resistor value to get the full 5V signal, though 1k should be ample (try not to go below 1k). A suitable zener would be Mouser # 512-1N5231B. The additional 1N4148 diode is to prevent you plugging it in the wrong way round and directly clamping the sequencer gate signal to 5.1V which I wouldn't recommend.

Last edited by Kipling on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

moogasm
Common Wiggler

Post by moogasm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Same here, I would like to be put on the list for pcb, panel and boat.

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:58 pm

FYI -

For anyone with a Crowminius that wants to use it with this sequencer. One solution would be:

"+14V gate would not harm anything, but it might make the EG action a bit strange as the input voltage would be greater that the supply rail. The easiest solution would be a 5.1v zener across C95 (anode to ground). This would clamp any voltages past 5.1v. --Crow"

I have a PM in to the MME builder as well.

EDIT: MME takes +5 as well...
Last edited by aquatarkus on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocs
1-Post Wiggler

Post by rocs » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:06 pm

I also want to get put on the list for a full kit. Thanks.

mikefiction
Common Wiggler

Post by mikefiction » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:30 am

I would like to be put on the list for a boat only as well - I'm in the USA

jhulk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jhulk » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:58 am

put on list end of january im finalizing list for accurate prices which after that it will be closed

and all costing for the items will be fixed

SMonk
Common Wiggler

Post by SMonk » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm already on the list for a kit, but i think i'm going to need a boat as well, so please add one of those for me.
Last edited by SMonk on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poor musician
Learning to Wiggle

Post by poor musician » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Hello, I would also like to complete my order. I have ordered a PCB and a front panel. I would like a complete kit with Boat. (If that's even possible.) Thank you!

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:18 pm

please put me on the list for the 3rd run :party:

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Kipling wrote:Image
What is the advantage of this over simple two resistor divider or a single pot? Is it that this regulates to 5.1V for any gate greater than 5.1V?
Wired for weird

martimous
Common Wiggler

Post by martimous » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:51 pm

I would be interested in a boat if there are extras in round three. I was hung up on stacking the sequencer with the TTSH and too focused on making a wooden cabinet when satindas was offering his boat in round two. I have quite recently come around to my senses.

Kipling
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:31 pm

fuzzbass wrote:
Kipling wrote:Image
What is the advantage of this over simple two resistor divider or a single pot? Is it that this regulates to 5.1V for any gate greater than 5.1V?
A simple pot/resistor network may not be right for all gate input modules - depends on input impedance. If you wanted to route it to several modules you'd have to adjust it accordingly.

BTW the resistor R1 probably needs to be far higher than 1k indicated - circa 47k or above would be better.

Modorange
Common Wiggler

Post by Modorange » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Could I please be put on the list for everything? Thanks.

Modorange
Common Wiggler

Post by Modorange » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Specifically, what I would need to have to build one of this sequencer. Thanks, John in Oklahoma, USA

Kipling
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Modorange wrote:Specifically, what I would need to have to build one of this sequencer. Thanks, John in Oklahoma, USA
Head over to the Build Thread, where you should find all you need to know. viewtopic.php?t=138862&start=0

Modorange
Common Wiggler

Post by Modorange » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Please put me on list for full kit and boat. Thank you.

jhulk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jhulk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:52 pm

ok on list was doing final quotes today waiting for feedback from manufacturers i added 10 extra any way

so your covered

im having the boat made by the same manufacturer as the front panel so that it will have the same paint finish

and only have to deal with 2 manufacturers

Kipling
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks for taking on the project jhulk. Much appreciated.

Seems weird to hear the news coming from someone else!

Grooverman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Grooverman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:40 am

Hi!

Is it to late to be in on this run? If not I'd also like to be on the list for a complete kit and boat (I want everything)
I'm i sweden...

moogasm
Common Wiggler

Post by moogasm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:21 pm

I would also like to thank Kipling for the 1601 and 3620 clone projects. Both are really great designs and I am sure it took a lot of effort to support them.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”