VCAs that add color to a sound.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

VCAs that add color to a sound.

Post by boboter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:09 am

Hey guys,

so I have a linix and an optomix for VCA duties. The linix abviously is the workhorse here and does all kinds of stuff. But for audio, I'm really enjoying the optomix with its bongoish ring :sb:

So I wanted to know, which VCA's you are using when you want to addd some (or a lot) color to your sound.

Besides tube VCAs for dirt and warmth, the Double Andore seems pretty interesting as well, even though its a completely different story. But I'm sure there is lots more.

Shoot.
jogging house ... new album 'chants' out now.

muncky
Ultra Wiggler

Post by muncky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:33 am

I like the ModDemix... Definitely has colour, and a few tricks. Pair up nicely with the Optomix too...

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:35 am

I have an L-1 Tube VCA. Can add subtle warmth and can get pretty nasty too. Other tube vca's out there will color the sound as well. Does the Linix use the same VCA's as the uVCA? Cause the uVCA can be overdriven nicely as well.

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:12 am

muncky
ModDemix doesn't look to bad at all, stumbled over it a few times but never really checked it out in detail. Will do now.

ddoyen
Not sure if Linix and uVCA have the same VCAs. Linix is just linear, though. But I'm more looking for something that simply changes a sound, not necessarily when overdriven but just due to its core sound. The L-1 seems really cool.
jogging house ... new album 'chants' out now.

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:28 am

Double Andore is hot and roaring in EXP mode, like the Malekko VCA. I find the DA very complementary to the Linix.

AudioFetish
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AudioFetish » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:42 pm

+1 on the L-1, goes from clean to pure dirt and everything inbetween, a great addition to a vca selection

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:31 pm

+1 on Double Andore. Trash all your finest signals through it with ease.

Plus you get two awesome cross-modulating wavetable envelopes and tons of clocking options. One of my favorite modules!

sgventil
Common Wiggler

Post by sgventil » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 pm

bump.

I am looking for two double vca, and I was thinking of either 2x modDemix or two Malekko vca.

Whats your suggestions? My price range is around 300€ for both of them and I have 20hp free.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:52 pm

moddemix for me... it's not clean but I use it all the time. If you don't have ringmod, you shoudl at least get the moddemix... kinda does a bit more stuff as someone pointed out. It also looks badass with all those sexy LEDs.

muncky
Ultra Wiggler

Post by muncky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:55 pm

Funnily enough I'm going with a ModDemix and the new Malekki VCA...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:00 pm

wmd multimode vca? :tu:

wavehead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wavehead » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:06 pm

new SSF VCA is what i would look at if you want a VCA with nice/variable saturation (differential manifold).

i'm not that into the sharp, clipped sound that a lot of VCAs will make when driven hard. the 'discrete' buzzword tends to have some meaning in this regard as transistor based saturation tends to have a different sound.

that sharp exponential clipping on uVCA/malekko VCA is nice for some percussive elements though.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”