Doepfer A 106 1. "Xtreme Filter"

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

AuralAntithesis
Common Wiggler

Doepfer A 106 1. "Xtreme Filter"

Post by AuralAntithesis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 am

Doepfer A 106 1. "Xtreme Filter". So this is the only real filter i have in my system right now and I have been having a very hard time getting any useable filter sounds out of it. I mean i have used the HP and LP inputs. Tried some envelopes on the CV inputs with some filtered results, but usually very noisy. I have also tried one input and tweaking all knobs manually. mixed results nothing i considered good sounding or useful. :bang:

Does any one have tips on using this thing?
I don't expect it to be my Juno 60, but i would love some "Xtreme" results.... So far not seeing it. Maybe i just need another filter.

Kodama
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kodama » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:35 am

My first tip would be, don't expect an MS20! Second, put an unused cable or plug in the hp input, because it is normalled and bipolar(difficult to dial out). Then start with the LP input gain at half. Next, start resonance cranked and both clip controls at half. Try this with some regular envelope patches and tweak the input and clip controls. When you want to get a little crazier, put the feedback output into a bipolar cv input. Also play with no filter input as a weird osc. I find it to be a weird, but wonderful filter. Definitely not the only filter that you should have, but I would give it a chance!

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:42 am

Sounds crazy, must get one!
My Plague Bearer is very sensitive to incoming signal gain and does completely different things at different levels, this sounds similar.

eveldave
Common Wiggler

Post by eveldave » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:49 am

I have one and wondered how they compare to a Corgasmatron?

AuralAntithesis
Common Wiggler

Post by AuralAntithesis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Kodama thank you kind wiggler!
some simple tips and now some more expected results.

commence testing! :tu:

hpsounds
the french icelander

Post by hpsounds » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 pm

The input level of this filter is VERY sensible : just start at 1 at the IN knob w/ low resonance and a small ENV in the CV Freq IN.

_DG
Common Wiggler

Post by _DG » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:46 pm

i know what you mean...it was also one of my first filters and it was the first i sold...
it was not easy to find sweet spots for me but the guy who bought mine was very happy with it, it was his 2nd 106-1 in his case.
the question is what "xtreme" results you are expecting from a filter.

Mefistophelees
USB Cat

Post by Mefistophelees » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:04 pm

It is a bit of a weird one.
I found it's better if you feed it a good hot signal (i.e. overdrive it), otherwise it's a bit bland and the resonance tends to cut in suddenly.
It gets interesting if you play with the two top right controls.

bk
Common Wiggler

Post by bk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:32 pm

In my case, xtreme filter is also my only filter. At first, I also had problems with it. But in recent months I was getting very good results with it. Usually I get distorted sounds, but they may be warm and trumpet-like. With high resonance (but not too high), while regulating both LP and HP input level (on one signal), and regulating cutoff frequency, the results are broad and weird. Today I just played with one oscillator sine controlled by keyboard into xtreme filter (and through vca with keyboard-gated envelope) and I could get many pretty distorted and rich timbres by turning above controls.

lambshain
Common Wiggler

Post by lambshain » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:35 pm

i was recently bored by this filter as i din t get real sweet spots...
low output,
was thinking to sell it, but it has something from the ms20 scratchy gritty sound, like something lofi, dirty, what i like basically,
then i began to play with the 2 trimpots inside... it unlocked the
real potential ... since then it s an absolute keeper.
now its screaming much better sweet spots...

gobobog
Common Wiggler

Post by gobobog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:06 pm

AuralAntithesis: If your CL+/- are too high, you're going to get a lot of distortion. I like it for the distortion, and i usually mod the CV3 (polarity) to get some play on the CL levels. But keep those low/off if you just need (relatively) basic filter functions.

It was my first filter, and I found that I eventually did need something less Xtreme to add to my system, but don't get me wrong, I still like it for its unique qualities.

lambshain: I didn't realize there were trimpots inside, I will have to check those out.

AuralAntithesis
Common Wiggler

Post by AuralAntithesis » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 pm

I figured i needed help, more than "this thing is a piece of $#!^"...

good tips in this thread in how to tame a beast/ get it to work for you~~~

Thanks expert wigglers,

karmadelic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by karmadelic » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:20 am

I was having problems with this filter too , so after reading above posts I gave it another try , applying all your tips : still not impressed though …

I did a few simple tests :

I fed a saw into the LP input , inserted a dummy jack into the HP in , cutoff full CW , res full CCW , LP level full CW , both CL+ and CL- to zero .

I got a sound that was much lower in volume than the original saw wave .
I could only get to the volume of the original by turning CL+ and CL- to halfway , but then it sounded dull .
I tried raising the res a bit and altering the CL- and CL+ to get the same quality and volume as my original saw , but it always sounded like a lofi version of the original .

I then tried sweeping the cutoff , with res settings up to just below self oscilating , and again didn't get any satisfaction : the sound just got duller (as it should when reducing the cutoff) , but even with res settings of 75% I didn't get any nice powerful sweeping filter effect with sweet spots .
I also found the response of the cutoff to be weird , like it wouldn't do much , and then it suddenly "jumped" into action

I only got slighly more interresting results when I crancked the res up into self oscilation : I got nice distorted warbly noises and chaos , but still it lacked power , because it distorted the original beyond recognision .
I would have expected it to start SCREAMING like a tiger , but it sounded more like a bored cat ...

am I doing something wrong ? Or is my unit faulty ? Or is this the only useful application of this filter ?
I have a Sherman Filterbank , so maybe mu standards are a bit high , but then again ….

Also , lambshain : I tried to find those trimpots inside you talked about , but couldn't find any . Are there different versions of this module around ?

lambshain
Common Wiggler

Post by lambshain » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:53 am

i have a newer one, here they are...

it says offset and scale...

karmadelic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by karmadelic » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:41 am

hey , thanks for taking the time to take a picture of that …. got it now … had to take out my glasses to find them though … :-)

and yes : now it's behaving much more the way I want it :hihi:

thank you sooo much … love this forum !

Mefistophelees
USB Cat

Post by Mefistophelees » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:52 am

karmadelic wrote: and yes : now it's behaving much more the way I want it :hihi:
How did you change them?

karmadelic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by karmadelic » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 am

with a small phillips screwdriver , having the module out while a simple patch was running and while tweaking the cutoff by hand … took me a few minutes to find the right combination that worked best … for now … might have to re-adjust at a later stage ….

lambshain
Common Wiggler

Post by lambshain » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:47 am

cool! :sb: :tu:

EnricoGaruda
Wiggling with Experience

Post by EnricoGaruda » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 pm

So how you tweaked this treampots, i mean you have to tweak the trimpots with a screwdriver abd adjust it by hear till you like it? it is possible with the power on or is maybe a bit dangerous?

karmadelic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by karmadelic » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:37 am

Yes that's how I did it : adjusting by ear .

I'm sure some manuals will mention words like "mortal danger" etc …. but really : the module end only has 12V voltage , and that is IF you happen to touch any live wire or piece of circuit .
I think that if you really touch a live part , you might get a small tickly shock , you might cause a short circuit causing a fuse on the main power supply to blow , or maybe if you're very unlucky you might damage something else …. but basically there is no need to touch any electronics while adjusting the trimpots .

I just held the module on both sides of the frontplate , very much like holding a CD , and adjusted the plastic pots with a screwdriver with plastic handle …. just be sensible and be aware of what you're doing and you'll be fine .

good luck

claustoeger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by claustoeger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi! First time posting - I recently picked up an A-106-1 and found all the little "tricks" to make it sound like a filter, however, I've also noticed that there's a considerable hum (~65-70hz from what I can tell - the signal isn't high enough to trace on a multi)
Has anyone else dealt with this? I have done a preliminary check for grounding issues and have found none - this almost sounds like there's something self-oscillating (and not the resonance!) in the circuit. Help!

freeyerheel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by freeyerheel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Mine has the same noise issue but it wasn't behaving that way until I placed it next to my power source (HEK) so if you haven't tried moving it to another spot in your case I'd start there. I suspect they are sensitive, let us know if that takes care of it. Oh, and welcome to muffs!

IAMPelican
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IAMPelican » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:31 pm

So cool :tu:

Stinktier86
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stinktier86 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:52 pm

106 was my first filter. It have been sitting tight in the case ever sinceand i've never checked for trimpots... thanks for letting me know!

claustoeger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by claustoeger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 pm

freeyerheel wrote:Mine has the same noise issue but it wasn't behaving that way until I placed it next to my power source (HEK) so if you haven't tried moving it to another spot in your case I'd start there. I suspect they are sensitive, let us know if that takes care of it. Oh, and welcome to muffs!
Thanks!
I checked this little move out, and it didn't change anything! I tried adjusting the trims as well, and even unplugged all modules except for the a106 and an a131.
I've tried moving past this issue, tried a few simple and complex patches, and all have had the same weird tone. In one instance, using a noise source for input, I actually noticed the frequency of the tone jump well into the kHz frequencies. Upon shutting the system down and turning it back on, it returned to the low hum.
I've also noticed that the signal from my z3000 is bleeding to the a106 with no input. augh!
I know my best solution is probably just to use a different filter as a main filter source, but it seems silly to use the a106 in "dirty" signal paths only.:bang:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”