KNOBS!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:52 pm

All this talk of knobs has made me realise the blue knobs on Maths in low light are hopeless, must order white ones when Thonk has them back in stock...
here hare here!

pisskeule
Learning to Wiggle

the sweatshop approach

Post by pisskeule » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Here's my take on the matter...DSI knobs on MakeNoise stuff. It was a right pita to heat up all the caps, take em off, do a 180 so they point in the right direction and glue them back, hoping I didn't fuck it with that superglue.

The bigger knobs are the base rogans with EHC tactical military tops whacked on top. I kinda couldn't find them to buy anywhere online and had to chew off some sales agent's ear to send me a sample pack, making false promises about a bulk order. I still feel some kind of guilt with regards to that but on the other hand...not really. The orange ones weren't included unfortunately, which indeed makes me very sad to this very day.

What I'm quite happy with is the Buchla knobs where I put the cut off top from a DSI encoder knob, sitting on the Erica Synths modules.

As this is my first post here I thought I'd chuck in the fat knob under the desk. Apart from his main job as interior redesigner, he also specializes in synthesis, with a vast palette of timbres fine tuned to annoy the living shit out of me for food. Trust me, after 16 years of practice...

...he's really good at it.

Attachments
IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg (326.04 KiB) Viewed 47 times
IMG_0304.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg (348.97 KiB) Viewed 39 times
IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg (344.96 KiB) Viewed 40 times
IMG_0446.jpg
IMG_0446.jpg (451.57 KiB) Viewed 41 times
IMG_0526.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg (513.85 KiB) Viewed 42 times
IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg (403.71 KiB) Viewed 45 times
IMG_0528.jpg
IMG_0528.jpg (332.51 KiB) Viewed 45 times
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg (303.55 KiB) Viewed 53 times
IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0540.jpg (553.3 KiB) Viewed 79 times
IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg (239.38 KiB) Viewed 105 times

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Question for experienced knob rollers and manufacturers:

Is it generally true that American manufacturers use the 1/4" posts and knobs, while European manufacturers use 6mm posts and knobs? Or is it absolutely random?

I want to re-knob a number of my modules, but I don't know whether to order 1/4" or 6mm post knobs. I'm wondering if there is any way to make an educated guess.

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:30 pm

MARK27 wrote:Question for experienced knob rollers and manufacturers:

Is it generally true that American manufacturers use the 1/4" posts and knobs, while European manufacturers use 6mm posts and knobs? Or is it absolutely random?

I want to re-knob a number of my modules, but I don't know whether to order 1/4" or 6mm post knobs. I'm wondering if there is any way to make an educated guess.
Umm - maybe I’m missing something but why not take a knob off and measure the pot shaft?

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:37 pm

why not take a knob off and measure the pot shaft?
You know what, I've actually done that with one of those digital calipers, but the readings never turned out to be exactly either 1/4" or 6mm. I have no explanation for that and it has only added to my confusion.

theflyingfridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by theflyingfridge » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Can anyone tell me what type of shafts Xaoc Devices use on their modules? 6mm D-shaft? T18 shaft?

I'll have a Belgrad soon and I'm curious if I'll be able to swap out the knobs.

:hmm:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:27 am

theflyingfridge wrote:I'll have a Belgrad soon and I'm curious if I'll be able to swap out the knobs.
:eek:

The knobs are the second best thing about Belgrad!
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri May 31, 2019 11:46 pm

Anyone know what kind of knobs Joranalogue uses?

Demi Jon
Switched Out

Post by Demi Jon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 pm

I am obsessed with replacing all the knobs with davies clones, to the extent that I take into consideration knob replaceability before adding a new module.

I'm looking at the WMD/SSF MMF -- can anyone tell me what kind of pots they use, T18 or d-shaft?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Demi Jon wrote:I am obsessed with replacing all the knobs with davies clones, to the extent that I take into consideration knob replaceability before adding a new module.

I'm looking at the WMD/SSF MMF -- can anyone tell me what kind of pots they use, T18 or d-shaft?
I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment, but I did replace the knobs on my MMF with Davies (I understand your obssesion! :cloud: :party: :love: ) and I know I used the version of the knobs with a set screw. I'll take a look later tonight to check what shaft type it is.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:50 pm

Demi Jon wrote:I am obsessed with replacing all the knobs with davies clones, to the extent that I take into consideration knob replaceability before adding a new module.

All the dozen or so WMD/SSF modules I have have D shaft, curve toward the pointer.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:03 am

Question re: the larger Make Noise knobs...

I ordered a couple of D-Shaft replacements, which fit, but the Make Noise Rogan knobs have a kind of collar on the inside that holds them in place, which my replacements don't. Anyone have a solution to this? If it's "buy different knobs" what should they be?
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:47 am

starthief wrote:I am particularly pleased with this:

The fine tuner knobs came off the OG ModDemix. Color coordinated, fit perfectly and make the pots feel MUCH better -- I didn't even know they had a center detent until now, and they have exactly the right amount of turning resistance.

I kind of want to put similar knobs on my Frap Tools 321 but they obscure too much. I thought about it for Natural Gate too but I'm not sure there are knobs that are gorgeous enough for it. :)

Also I put Rogan 1PS knobs on my Manis, and it proved to be a good choice.
Bump!

How did you manage this on the HD mk2? I'm looking to do the same thing to all my small trimpots. Did you open it up and switch the pot itself or did those knobs fit on top of the existing ones? Stellar job btw.

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:48 am

vidret wrote: How did you manage this on the HD mk2? I'm looking to do the same thing to all my small trimpots. Did you open it up and switch the pot itself or did those knobs fit on top of the existing ones? Stellar job btw.
as ,much as I love IME/HM I hate the fiddly pot shafts, they feel like they're about to break or like a children's toy (even though my system is my big kids toy :yay: ) IME/HM is the one brand of modules I won't buy without having first physically felt the the module. they're some of my favorite and some of the most $$$ in the euro realm but them pots are just a deal breaker for me. as ive had one break from closing a patched case and the pressure from cables piling over it snapper a pot shaft on the first TS I had.
and Ive always wondered would using a standard pot really not fit? with the specs not work in the application? or is it just a way of cutting the production cost to allow for consumer cost to go down or what?
WTB:, MA35 filter. -Mac recordings software from 2008/9
:help:

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:13 am

all the pots on my harvestman/IME stuff feels solid, even the smaller shafts, I was MOSTLY interested because of all the other trimmer pots I have in my case but figured I could do the HD mk2 while at it, and starthief seemed to have it figured out.

My zlob vnicursal VCA being the biggest offender, if I could step those trimmer pots up to even the smallest knobs it'd be :hail: :hail: the best.

Speaking of knobs and related in general; a lot of stores seem to have gone under these last couple of years unfortunately.

Thonk seems to be the one to go to in EU, any other suggestions?

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:52 am

Kind of unrelated to the most recent conversation, but is there a reason we don't see more modules with concentric knobs? It would save a good amount of space on a panel and would make a lot of sense if the CV attenuvertor and control knobs were grouped together. However, it would make modules deeper... Guessing that wouldn't be too much of an issue.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:15 am

Happy needing seems fine rocking concentric pots, probably mostly a design choice.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Concentric knobs like the ones Happy Nerding uses may not fit in clamshell-type cases that have modules on both halves, depending on how much space the case gives to knobs, and/or what's directly opposite the knobs when the case is closed.

I think it would be a little nicer if the manufacturer could make the outer knob, which HN tends to use for CV attenuation, shorter. Something like 1/2 or 2/3 height would work I think.

Another idea is to have the inner knob be the CV knob, and make it one of those knobs that can be pushed in and locked. The concern is that it's one more thing that can fail, and I think those knobs tend not to be very robust.

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:10 am

Since most of my setup consists of Make Noise modules my OCD demanded that I change the knobs on the other brands to Rogans. Ordered from Thonk, they look nice on both Noise Engineering and AMSynths modules.

I also ordered some for my GrandPa/SPA combo, but they didn't fit. The shaft of the Bastl pots was a bit smaller than I expected, the T18 Rogan knobs are too loose. Any suggestions on making them fit?

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:18 pm

here guys, i found the perfect knobs for your bull$hit Euroracks

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Alphaman wrote:here guys, i found the perfect knobs for your bull$hit Euroracks
Will these fit on 2hp modules?

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 pm