Stereo Drum and Bass Patch/ Trogotronic 277M/Grendel Formant

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

radiodread87
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Stereo Drum and Bass Patch/ Trogotronic 277M/Grendel Formant

Post by radiodread87 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:44 am

hey Guys!

Ok this is a patch that I have been wanting to put together, its basically a stereo drum and bass style thingy that I am trying to perfect.....

Patch details on the Vimeo site but here's the description to save you clicking :)
This is something I wanted to try since I got the Grendel formant filters in stock, a full stereo patch in the drum and bass style.
I set up an ES4 to play the bassline, there is a sequence clocked from my Syncgen LSII in time with the loops coming from Ableton live.
Basically its set up so an E340 cloud generator in 8 Osc mode gets split into the two Grendels, setting different for the left and right channels, these outputs were then mixed via two Manhattan Mixers with a Z3000 MK2 doing the fat sine sub octave and the Triangle from that is going to a Happy nerding super sawtor just to add a bit more "grit" to the sound.
The outputs from the two mixers go into the left and right channels of a Trogotronic 277M which is the VCA for the output of this patch, it adds some great crushing distortion and with a bit of different settings of the drive, a bit more stereo separation and grit.
overall this was a super fun little high energy patch, a synergy between the loops and the machines.
I hope you enjoy :)
[video][/video]
"I have come here to Kick Ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum"

"And since - my friend we have exposed your deepest fear! I sentence you to be exposed before all your peers! Tear Down the Wall!"

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 am

Man, those Grendels sound great! Hope I can get my hands on one (or two, really) of my own in the near future.

How do you like the Trogo 277? Their stuff was one of my reasons for getting into modular, but I was talked out of buying anything by them at the last minute. The 277 seems really great - there's just nothing quite like that tube saturation. I really wanted their 666 and 676, but ran out of money before I could add them to my current rack.

Also, nice track, congrats!

radiodread87
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radiodread87 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:03 am

How do you like the Trogo 277?
I love it actually, really nice sounding module and does what it says on the tin, good for adding some grit, different of course from my R51 pair which I adore as well but in a different way.
but I was talked out of buying anything by them at the last minute.
Feel free to PM me but I would wonder why......... Sure some of their modules are pretty freaking crazy but they make some great stuff! its not all that far off the wall either.
Also, nice track, congrats!
It was really something that was just thrown together for an up and coming gig, but thank you so much! I am going to elaborate much more on this by recording CV's into Live with the ES7 so that I can play back automated streams of CV to the Grendel filters to have it perform more vocal duties along with the track.
"I have come here to Kick Ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum"

"And since - my friend we have exposed your deepest fear! I sentence you to be exposed before all your peers! Tear Down the Wall!"

stellvia
Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey

Post by stellvia » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:16 am

Sounds great Cody!

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:23 am

Feel free to PM me but I would wonder why......... Sure some of their modules are pretty freaking crazy but they make some great stuff! its not all that far off the wall either.
Oh, nothing telling, a knowledgable friend just suggested I go with something a little more conventional for primary oscillators. So I went with Piston Honda and Hertz Donut instead. Go figure. Would still like to add some Trogo to my rack one day. Love the sounds of the 666 and 676!
I am going to elaborate much more on this by recording CV's into Live with the ES7 so that I can play back automated streams of CV to the Grendel filters to have it perform more vocal duties along with the track.
This is one the of the most exciting parts of the ES stuff. I don't have any yet, but I'm loving the way people are using it. I really like the idea of modular/computer interaction, hope I can explore it soon. I've taken great interest in both ES and ADDAC (how amazing is that VCC?)

Thanks.

radiodread87
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radiodread87 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am

indeed! the 676M and 666M are FAR from conventional, very very strange devices so that was a good direction to take I think starting off.

Thanks too guys, allot of fun doing this, I love the way the new filters respond, I have one of the original ones but I think these new ones are easier to get better results from. They do sound cool! reminds me allot of using a talkbox with a very distorted guitar.

zvukoprocessor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zvukoprocessor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 am

Trogo 277 sounds marvelous! I need to get one.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”