Dark Side of the - Module?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Dark Side of the - Module?

Post by mckenic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Im usually rushing so much to poke and twist modules that I dont really pay attention to the back of modules or you know actual manuals... So I found it quite interesting to actually look at the backs as I was changinh out my portable rig...

Anyone have anything they can spill about the following?

Doepfer A-101-2 - Vactrols seem to be socketed. I wonder if they can be swopped out for slower ones...

The Flame Tame Machine has a frickin USB port on it!

The Z-DSP has an expander and 'Guitar Mode' Huh?

Would love to know was there an expander planned for the Z-DSP, if the flame can show up on my computer and if the doepfer LPG can be made more 'wooden'.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting :hihi:

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Ah, now you've gone and gotten me curious what's behind my panels.

I'm really curious about that USB port on the Flame module...

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 pm

flip the jumper on the z-dsp to engage an internal preamp so that you can go directly into it from a passive source like a guitar! Gur rocks!

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Which is worse, badass hidden features you probably won't find unless you read the manual (is the input/preamp situation even in the manual?), or the fact that Tiptop stopped making the Zdsp?

:despair:

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:41 pm

edit: ah man, double post. Sorry about that!

:oops:

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:00 pm

dj_bluefalcon wrote:the fact that Tiptop stopped making the Zdsp?
:ninja:

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Mr. Wiggles, please tell me I'm wrong about that. I haven't seen them available for a very long time, and someone told me at some point that they were discontinued.

Is your ninja implying that I have been mislead? Or that there's a hush-hush top secret black ops project to revitalize it?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 pm

dj_bluefalcon wrote:Ah, now you've gone and gotten me curious what's behind my panels.

Yeah, me too. If it is that easy to update, I really wish something could have been done to make it not freak out so bad with voltages above 5v.

Anyone want to plug it in and see what happens? :hihi:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T Mackie QU-16C Digital Mixer/Interface
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
FS/T: Intellijel 1U Midi & Audio IO
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:21 pm

exper wrote:
dj_bluefalcon wrote:Ah, now you've gone and gotten me curious what's behind my panels.

Yeah, me too. If it is that easy to update, I really wish something could have been done to make it not freak out so bad with voltages above 5v.

Yeah! I still need to find out how to do a Brickwall limiting so everything over 5v gets thrown away... I'll get there Im sure!

As for the Z-DSP, I believe there is a redesign on the way - smaller but similar. I'd LOVE to know if it will be compatible with the V1 cards etc and if that is what the expander is for! I'm sure info will come when its ready - I think TipTop are busy chaps and I expect great things from em!

LOVE my Z-DSP to bits!!!

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:27 pm

mckenic wrote:
exper wrote:

Yeah! I still need to find out how to do a Brickwall limiting so everything over 5v gets thrown away... I'll get there Im sure!

As for the Z-DSP, I believe there is a redesign on the way - smaller but similar. I'd LOVE to know if it will be compatible with the V1 cards etc and if that is what the expander is for! I'm sure info will come when its ready - I think TipTop are busy chaps and I expect great things from em!

LOVE my Z-DSP to bits!!!

With the Tame Machine, it is far better to just attenuate before hand. A bunch of people did a diode mod on theirs so that you could hit it with what ever, but the downside to that is, all the cv movement above 5v would just then be stuck at that highest pitch, far better to make the range of the incoming CV max out at 5 before it comes into it.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm not free to provide additional details at the moment but there will be more chances to own Z-DSP :sb:

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:41 pm

If you go to the Flame site:

http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/start.htm

And click on the Tame Machine link on the left, You'll see on that page where it says:

"Software updates possible via usb (jack on pcb)! "

And at the bottom of the page are instructions for doing it plus 4 versions of the firmware.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks exper!!! I think Ill be able to do that without mods or anything - I can use a Bi-Mix for that! Thank you!

Thanks Muff - good to know that the platform isnt going away! Big fan and Gur does wonderful stuff!

Dave - thanks mate! I KNEW I should actually RTFM sometimes at least :hihi:

:tu:

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 pm

The trick is to read the manual while you're waiting on the module to come in the mail. :tu:

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:50 pm

daverj wrote:If you go to the Flame site:

http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/start.htm

And click on the Tame Machine link on the left, You'll see on that page where it says:

"Software updates possible via usb (jack on pcb)! "

And at the bottom of the page are instructions for doing it plus 4 versions of the firmware.

Thanks Daverj! I'll give it a shot. Don't think my TM has had any revisions other that the 1.0 one...

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 pm

LeFreq wrote:The trick is to read the manual while you're waiting on the module to come in the mail. :tu:
That is how i roll as well!
That way, when i put my hands on the new module i feel that at least i know somewhat what i am doing.
So, manuals AND watching all (if any are available) video demos.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Two stupid questions -

Tame machine, any way to see the current firmware version short of installing the drivers and software?

How would one go about leaving everything alone except for signals above 5v being scaled down to Tame acceptable levels? I can scale everything with the Bi-Mix but is it possible to scale JUST whats over 5v to be within the 5v limits?

Oh and BTW - thanks for all the cool info in this thread folks :tu:

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:15 am

Muff Wiggler wrote:I'm not free to provide additional details at the moment but there will be more chances to own Z-DSP :sb:
This is excellent news. I've wanted a Z-DSP since I got started in Euro, but they've been out of stock since before last Sept. and rarely come up used. I'll be keeping an eye out.

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:25 am

FYI wit the flame software update - if it's the same as the knob recorder, you'll need to be running a windows 32 bit machine, won't work for a 64bit OS...

other than that, it's a straight forward procedure.

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:40 am

oootini

when I was a kid, we used to rewind and watch the Jawa scenes over and over and over because we thought their language and behavior was so hilarious. Thanks for reminding me of that.

/digression

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 am

mckenic wrote:Two stupid questions -

Tame machine, any way to see the current firmware version short of installing the drivers and software?

How would one go about leaving everything alone except for signals above 5v being scaled down to Tame acceptable levels? I can scale everything with the Bi-Mix but is it possible to scale JUST whats over 5v to be within the 5v limits?

Oh and BTW - thanks for all the cool info in this thread folks :tu:
I'm not sure how to accomplish what you are asking. Maybe use something that can fill wave rectify? But in reverse? I'm ata loss and haven't had coffee yet this morning!

Mans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mans » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 am

Z-DSP! Really hope sooner than later!

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 am

dj_bluefalcon wrote:oootini

when I was a kid, we used to rewind and watch the Jawa scenes over and over and over because we thought their language and behavior was so hilarious. Thanks for reminding me of that.

/digression
lol. funny little fuckers!

jawas were mostly played by the production teams kids. their scenes also were sped up a bit to add to the "wacky" exaggerated movements of the kids.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:15 am

So, did anyone upgrade their Tame Machines?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

DanPacific
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DanPacific » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 am

And what about swapping the vactrols on the 101-2 as mentioned earlier in the thread? Anyone tried this or know more about it?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”