Mungo Enterprises d0, dual channel Delay

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Jaypee wrote:I'm in the market of the cheapest and less hp vco square wave to feed the d0 for tracking. I thought about 2hp vco. What do you guys use?
Exactly that one! It's a bonus that it actually does sound nice
WTB: Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF, ADDAC 805v1, MakeNoise QMMG

oldenjon
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Mungo Enterprises d0, dual channel Delay

Post by oldenjon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Is this still the best module for tuned delay / Karplus Strong in eurorack?
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:08 pm

oldenjon wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:42 pm
It's pricey, it's not easy to obtain and it's inventor is a dick but yes, it's still unbeaten if you want to do K+ stuff

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Can someone explain, what tracking an audio frequency with a Delay allows you to do, how that sounds? I can't really imagine...

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Portabella wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:08 pm
oldenjon wrote:
It's pricey, it's not easy to obtain and it's inventor is a dick but yes, it's still unbeaten if you want to do K+ stuff
I'm not sure what you are referring to but I've had several very helpful and polite interactions with Mr Mungo - also the module is quite readily available, if nowhere else then from him directly
WTB: Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF, ADDAC 805v1, MakeNoise QMMG

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Portabella wrote:
oldenjon wrote:
pricey compared to what? there are several, much more expensive delay modules out there.

Not easy to obtain? If you think writing an email to John (mungo) and transferring money is hard, I guess you are right.

the inventor is a dick? I've had nothing but fast and polite answers the few times we've spoken.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Fayette wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:53 pm
Portabella wrote:
oldenjon wrote:
pricey compared to what? there are several, much more expensive delay modules out there.

Not easy to obtain? If you think writing an email to John (mungo) and transferring money is hard, I guess you are right.

the inventor is a dick? I've had nothing but fast and polite answers the few times we've spoken.
it´s worth any coin!
to obtain it just go to the FS/T now or email Mungo Enterprises
+1 John= fast and polite

Footkerchief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Footkerchief » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Fayette wrote:
Even if that's a straightforward process, it's not the same level of safety as dealing with a well known retailer that's open about their return policy etc.

m-m
Common Wiggler

Post by m-m » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:59 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm
Can someone explain, what tracking an audio frequency with a Delay allows you to do, how that sounds? I can't really imagine...
It is for Karplus Strong-synthesis – when the delay times become short enough, you stop perceiving them as individual events but as pitched sounds.

Put an oscillator signal, preferably a square wave, into the sync input. Then the delay follows the pitch of the oscillator and the time controls divides or multiplies the frequency.

Or just shorten the delay time and play around with the time controls to change pitch. Here is a simple demo I made some years ago, the KS-sounds start at 4:30

leterell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leterell » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:23 am

Portabella wrote:
oldenjon wrote:
will state that my interactions with the producer have been extremely pleasant, he has been patient with my questions. it was for me very easy to obtain the unit straight from the inventor.

the engineering of the unit is so unique that i'm not feeling put off by the price. and IMHO, if a person goes through the trouble of designing, producing and distributing his own line of unique instruments he may ask exactly the price he damn well pleases. you may in turn buy the instruments or leave them be if some aspect seems unreasonable.

leterell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leterell » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 am

Footkerchief wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:37 pm
Fayette wrote:
Even if that's a straightforward process, it's not the same level of safety as dealing with a well known retailer that's open about their return policy etc.
for the record, i received a faulty unit at first, and had no problems getting a replacement from John. reminds me i have to ship back the faulty one...

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:19 am

m-m wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:59 am
Put an oscillator signal, preferably a square wave, into the sync input. Then the delay follows the pitch of the oscillator and the time controls divides or multiplies the frequency.
Nota bene, the multiplication and division is not locked to integer ratios. Finding unity ratio is thankfully pretty easy.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 am

leterell wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 am
for the record, i received a faulty unit at first, and had no problems getting a replacement from John. reminds me i have to ship back the faulty one...
How could you tell? d0 is notoriously difficult to figure out at first!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

leterell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leterell » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 am
leterell wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 am
How could you tell? d0 is notoriously difficult to figure out at first!
haha, for a couple of hours i thought it's truly living up to its reputation, only producing clicks from one output without any response to knobs, buttons or inputs.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:40 am

[removed]
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:32 am

why did you remove the freq shifter example @Buttons ARE toys? it sounded good and it's an extremely interesting patch!

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:36 am

Hope he will post another post/patch after the week end as he suggested before deleting his post.

Btw regarding the vco to use with d0, I use an omega phi II and I loooove having very fine tuning possibilities. Which 2hp vco can't do. So I'm still in the market for a low hp vco module with octave switch, corse and fine tunings pots. Any ideas?
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 am

Has somebody here had some good chance to compare Rainmakers and D0's Karplus Strong capability?

I use the Rainmaker mostly for this kind of stuff, but find myself glancing at the D0 all the time, but with such a huge and capable (and expensive) delay module in my rack, I can't really justify getting another one...

Push me over the edge anybody?

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:11 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 am
Has somebody here had some good chance to compare Rainmakers and D0's Karplus Strong capability?

I use the Rainmaker mostly for this kind of stuff, but find myself glancing at the D0 all the time, but with such a huge and capable (and expensive) delay module in my rack, I can't really justify getting another one...

I was somehow in the same boat so I cheated myself ordering a g0 8-)

There is also the Delay1022 from CG Products worth to have a look at it.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:45 pm

ive had both and can compare
the rainmaker, sounds good and is all in 1 package, but(edit-corrected next page) the comb maxes out at 3.8 ms which is just so much less than the d0 which can go up to .2ms...5k frequency i think. Dont get me wrong though the rainmaker i really love and the karplus can get that cool “boingy” kind of sound really easily with the groove and filter options giving quick access to sound shaping. really great interface on the rainmaker

the d0, requires extra modules for patching to get the best out of it, which is good and bad.... but the karplus results are much more organic and special sounding with a huge range. its very handy to have a dedicated oscillator for the clock input because the CV inputs dont track v/oct unless you dial it in yourself. but then again its super cool that the clock input can track these high frequencies with this kind of accuracy.. the input gain has a reversing attenuator which is very nice to invert feedback easily, as well as the variable slew bringing a very unique element to add. overall the open modular approach of d0 allows such a wide pallete for what you insert in the feedback path, your possibilities grow as your system grows

if karplus is your goal, the d0 is just unbeatable in my opinion.

Estes wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:11 pm
LunaticSound wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 am

I was somehow in the same boat so I cheated myself ordering a g0 8-)

There is also the Delay1022 from CG Products worth to have a look at it.
Last edited by damase on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:20 pm

timoka wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:32 am
why did you remove the freq shifter example @Buttons ARE toys? it sounded good and it's an extremely interesting patch!
I was going to upload something large to soundcloud and needed to clear space, and decided to remove demos first. But then I ended up ditching the thing I was going to upload soooooo

The audio signal is both processed by the D0, and used to clock it, allowing the delay to apply a constant 90° phase shift regardless of frequency.

The 0° and 90° phase signals each go to separate ring modulators. Then the 0° and 90° signals of a quadrature oscillator are used to modulate each respective ring modulator. The upshift is produced by summing the ringmod outputs, while the downshift is produced by subtracting the 90° product from the 0° product.

Downshift panned left, upshift panned right. Half way through, feedback is introduced in varying degrees, sending each ringmod product back into itself and into each other for different flavors.

It was a bit hard at first to get the D0 to produce a 90° shift using a complex audio signal so the way I did it was to send the 0° output of my quadrature LFO into it and then compare the output to the 90° LFO output, adjusting the delay until they matched, and then unplugged that and plugged in the audio signal. Also you need to turn the slew up quite a bit to avoid glitches.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Wow. How did you come up with that?

Man, ButtonsAreToys' demo plus Damases post before that make it pretty much unjustifiable to not get the D0. Damn.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:07 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm
Wow. How did you come up with that?

Man, ButtonsAreToys' demo plus Damases post before that make it pretty much unjustifiable to not get the D0. Damn.
I'm gonna take credit for the inspiration :mrgreen: I was investigating dome filters and remembered John's d0 demo showing phase offsets on an o-scope.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:04 am

:sb: :hail:

leterell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leterell » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:33 am

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:20 pm
nice