Mungo Enterprises d0, dual channel Delay

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mungo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:16 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Mungo wrote:Static damage can be asymptomatic (shows no effect immediately), failure occurring later with no obvious connection to the damaging event. Several people have received damaged modules second hand that worked for some time before drawing more and more current until the power supply can't deliver any more or the module heats up so much it melts the silicon inside a chip. The modules need to be shipped and stored when outside the rack in their static bags. The other failure mode has been reverse connection of the power, but that usually causes immediate failure. For those worried about reverse power it was an option to use the onboard 5V supply for some of the modules but that uses more power and creates more heat so is not recommended.
In case the second hand module arrives without a static bag, is there a way to discern if there's any possible damage done to it previously without having to experience a complete failure of the module? Is there a way to avoid causing any damage?
Static damage can be impossible to determine without destroying the device (one way or another), but that damage may also cause no problems at all and the device will still operate fine indefinitely. The only way to avoid causing the damage is to prevent any static discharges through the PCB and headers at the rear of the module. If you are in an environment that has lots of static, remove the module from the static bag holding the module by the faceplate and screw it into the rack before connecting the cables to other things in the rack. To remove it, reverse that and disconnect the cables before unscrewing it, then put straight into the static bag.

(that assumes the rack has the rails connected through to 0V/gnd)
Paranormal Patroler wrote:Does the d0 have an optional use of 5v power? I was looking at the power consumption specs and there seem to be two different specs for the module. Care to explain?
Modules that are configured to not use 5V power have those pins missing in their power header. All the current specified for the 5V rail is added to the +12V consumption.

Rudloe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rudloe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi all

How do I know if my module is working properly or not, any easy tests?

I CANNOT get it to do anything but very random noises. I certainly can't get it to do any Karplus delays or anything for that matter. Total nightmare.

Thanks

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Rudloe wrote:Hi all

I CANNOT get it to do anything but very random noises. I certainly can't get it to do any Karplus delays or anything for that matter. Total nightmare.

Thanks
How about timoka's example patch on the previous page?
WTB: Intellijel Dixie v1, Intellijel Spock, Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:25 am

B0bcat wrote:

Thanks
Can you give us some more information, Rudloe.

Is it new or second hand? Do you have a 5V rail that can provide enough power? Are you using it with a Zoom switch? If not, is the Zoom pin on the header of the back of the module connected to the ground pin with a little plastic jumper?

Mungo modules have a huge range, hence the Zoom control to allow one to hone in on one area. If one is at one extreme or the other, the result might be noise or no sound. It depends, so let us know :)

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 am

Hi Rudloe, it reminds me my bad experience with my ex-D0.

Not Mungo fault though. It was sent in a non-anti-static bag by the first owner.

Module worked for couple of days then started to act weirdly, as you describe.

More infos as Navs suggested are welcomed.

Looks like most (all?) problems come from this anti-static during shipping from 1st to 2nd owner.

Even though I was really pissed off. I will buy another D0 as soon as I can. But brand new, directly from John so I won't have any problem. Well, I hope. I want to buy more Mungo modules in the near future.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:09 am

This is a complex module with a lot of sweet spots "hidden" in a huge huge range. First five hours spent with it I did not extract a useful sound. Youtube videos help, as does discussion here, and *expecting* that it's not "easy". Mix in some paranoia that whenever you buy a used module something might be wrong with it .. indeed makes a good point for having a collection of straightforward standardized patches for testing.
WTB: Intellijel Dixie v1, Intellijel Spock, Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO

Rudloe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rudloe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:24 am

Navs wrote:
B0bcat wrote:

Thanks
Can you give us some more information, Rudloe.

Is it new or second hand? Do you have a 5V rail that can provide enough power? Are you using it with a Zoom switch? If not, is the Zoom pin on the header of the back of the module connected to the ground pin with a little plastic jumper?

Mungo modules have a huge range, hence the Zoom control to allow one to hone in on one area. If one is at one extreme or the other, the result might be noise or no sound. It depends, so let us know :)
Hi

Nice to have Muffs back on line, very sad to hear about Mike.

I bought the module new a few years ago now I guess, I never used it too much at first. When I got it, I couldn't get it to do anything coherent, and John was never very helpful. I had the reverb and sold that as I couldn't get anything from it. The guy I sold it to never complained so maybe I was doing something wrong there too. I also have two p0's which I love, so I plug the zoom control into the same pins on the back of the d0 that I have it plugged into the p0. I have ALOT of euro and know what I'm doing, yet I just can't get this module to do anything!!!

I've been travelling for a few days, so tomorrow i'll try that simple patch example on the other page that someone pointed out. If I'm honest, if a module is this hard to get a decent sound from I just assume its broken.

I just wonder if I have the Zoom control plugged in correctly, should it be the same way as I have it on the p0?

Thanks

porphyrion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by porphyrion » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:46 am

The d0 is NOT an average delay by any standards! I have at least 15 delays and it stands out in a major way. First few minutes I could have sworn mine was faulty, but then it mysteriously came to live! Loved it ever since.
Hope you fare as well!

For me personally, it's a lot easier to set up with a dedicated mixer because I like it a lot with feedback loops.

There are amazing sound examples for the d0, but the lack of decent basic videos (true 'patch from scratch' with some helpful tips & tricks) for Mungo-modules can be pretty infuriating.
Also >> always check Grayscale's alternative front panels if one is available. Sometimes those clarify all you need to know. Too bad it's no longer available afaik.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:58 am

here's how to connect the zoom and chain more than one mungo module:

as with the g0, certain controls can give the impression that the module doesn't work, or doesn't react on time, the slew has a large range, set it to 11 o'clock as starting point.
internal feedback can easily be overdone, with fast delay times this can result in either ear shattering high tones or no tone at all.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:05 pm

with my mungo modules i always have to "wake them up" when i power on my case, i dunno why but the modules all start in a weird state, maybe that's because i use a storage strip and it sends out something over the midi bus on startup. anyway, i ALWAYS press zoom out and put all mungo knobs in a "normal" position, with the d0 that is the knob positions i outlined in the previously posted picture.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 am

Anyone here using the d0 together with the m0 for feedback purposes?
If so , Is there a way to point out how that combination could be better than using another´s brand standard mixer?

Thanks in advance :tu:

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:29 am

i don't have the m0 but by reading the manual it's clear that there's an envelope (with delay), a three channel inverting mixer (channel one with vca) all in one module. so just by looking at it i think it would be pretty handy for feedback purposes, for example karplus strong patches could be easily done with a noise source, the m0 and d0 (shaped noise by envelope through channel 1 with vca plus channel two or three for feedback).
also, i assume the inputs all have gain like usual with mungo so that's another plus.

but if you already have vca's and envelopes i think a small inverting mixer like ma mix, triat or 3xmia is enough...

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Fri May 03, 2019 10:54 am

I don’t know where(direction) to connect the zoom/midi module to the power board in the case. Also I'm assuming red wire still goes to the -12v.

Any help would be appreciated. Got it yesterday but still haven't connected it

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:47 am

got a d0 recently. such a wild module. late to the party a few years but... wow.

sounds so good, very hifi. the slew has such a dramatic effect can take it from insane digital glitch to smooth gooey delay. shame there is no CV for slew. a big reason i got the d0 was for the upper range of the delay from flange/chorus/comb and it absolutely delivers here. ive been really loving the Schippmann VCF-1e in the feedback path, but cant wait to try more stuff out. love the audio rate CV abilities too, very nicely done.

i dont really like having to patch feedback, normally i enjoy this deconsructed approach but for me the rack cost of utilities and patch time for whats basically the same patch every time... makes me wish it was 4hp wider with feedback control(send/return) per channel.

as my first mungo module, i find the zoom very intuitive and easy to use...it just makes sense for the module to find the best range quickly. just hold zoom out, move the knob to a sweet spot, then release and explore the sweet spot! its really quite nicely implemented for exploring a deep module without menus or button combos. as i saw mentioned earlier in the thread, its best to “zero it out” before use by going zoom out and moving knobs to a “normal” position.

need to explore the preset managing stuff, i do wish there was just a small simple module i could fit in my intellijel 1u with a few buttons for simple selection so i did not have to integrate it within my midi setup

great module

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 am

I'm about to re buy one.

Can you share any demos with schipmman filter?

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:23 am

no demos at the moment, sorry.

but the vcf-1e i find nice for karplus strong because it has a lot of ways to subtley adjust the sound, which amounts to tonal changes within the feedback. gain control and spot on tracking is nice too, and its just got a nice warm tone i think works well for organic sounds, but has range to go very alien as well.

granted, its all ive really used so far. i do kind of want to get a ssf stereo dipole and weave the delay into a more indepth filter network

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:14 pm

hi everyone, could anyone point me in the direction of a guide to patch a feedback loop with the d0? I have a doepfer matrix mixer and plenty of filtering options, just can't figure it out.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:07 pm

sound source> mult 1 > mixer 1 > speakers
......................mult 1 > mixer 2 > d0

d0 output > (usually) filter > mult 2 > mixer 1 > speakers
.........................................mult 2 > mixer 2 > d0

wet/dry is controlled by mixer 1
feedback level and input gain controlled by mixer 2

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:08 am

damase wrote:sound source> mult 1 > mixer 1 > speakers
......................mult 1 > mixer 2 > d0

d0 output > (usually) filter > mult 2 > mixer 1 > speakers
.........................................mult 2 > mixer 2 > d0

wet/dry is controlled by mixer 1
feedback level and input gain controlled by mixer 2
thanks, I'll try that!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:25 am

timoka wrote:here's a how to setup the d0 as single delay line example:

there is also this... which i have yet to try but should provide feedback with less patching, but burns 1 of the delay channels... and you still need dry/wet externally of course

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:19 pm

whats the new price of the D0 ? incl. the zoom if possible
what would be a fair 2nd hand price ? incl. the zoom if possible

US ? / EU ? / Swiss ?*

( *guess its to differentiate, but i can make it out from any of the 3 )

edit: the D0 is no longer made ?
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:55 pm

d0 is still availabe. Just ask John :)

I bought another one. The new version. +12V. No more 5v! :hail:

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:54 am

damase wrote:

there is also this... which i have yet to try but should provide feedback with less patching, but burns 1 of the delay channels... and you still need dry/wet externally of course
Well, it won't completely render delay A unusable. It kind of turns the thing into a dual delay where you have your delayed B output and then the A output is your B delay time plus your A delay time.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:13 am

damase wrote:

This is how usually patch this... I use delay a than for phase mod and delay b for delay... very nice!

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm in the market of the cheapest and less hp vco square wave to feed the d0 for tracking. I thought about 2hp vco. What do you guys use?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”