Mungo Enterprises d0, dual channel Delay

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
vanderLooy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 am
Location: amsterdam

Post by vanderLooy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:41 am

Great news!

User avatar
DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind
Posts: 3012
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany / Bratislava, Slovakia

Post by DonKartofflo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:38 am

Got one on its way to me :mrgreen:
Mainly blaming timoka and his excellent demos!
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:09 am

Interested to learn about those enhancements. I hope there are some interface considerations.

User avatar
PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:19 pm
Location: Cape Cod
Contact:

Post by PolarIceCaves » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:21 am

How about storage strip functionality in a mungo produced module,
That would be the only way I could convince myself to pony up this much loot for this amazing delay.

User avatar
Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Post by Mungo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:17 pm

PolarIceCaves wrote:How about storage strip functionality in a mungo produced module,
That would be the only way I could convince myself to pony up this much loot for this amazing delay.
I offer a traditional midi socket panel or adaptor for people wanting to use the save and recall functions. Other manufacturers are using the same system and there are sequencing modules such as the Make Noise Rene and Malekko Varigate which can trigger this from within the rack.

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by FatRocky » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 pm

DonKartofflo wrote:Got one on its way to me :mrgreen:
Mainly blaming timoka and his excellent demos!
Please let us know about the improvements when you get it :hyper:

User avatar
patilon
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Germany

Post by patilon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 am

Behind the panel there is a new platform with some enhancements and more capabilities.
Could you tell more about this?

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:47 am

I really want this! But I never bought anything from outside the EU. Can someone tell me what extra cost I should expect? Tax & customs to germany. Worst case, best case?

User avatar
Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4146
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:49 am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Post by Navs » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:04 am

About +24% on total cost (module *and* shipping) ... and two hours of your life sitting in the waiting room in Schöneberg :sadbanana:

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:57 am

Navs wrote:About +24% on total cost (module *and* shipping) ... and two hours of your life sitting in the waiting room in Schöneberg :sadbanana:
thanks and ouch!

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by FatRocky » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:30 pm

i think Navs should make demo of the new d0. I really liked his demos on the Mungo modules. I bought the downloads.
Last edited by FatRocky on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind
Posts: 3012
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany / Bratislava, Slovakia

Post by DonKartofflo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:06 am

Well i dont have an old d0 to compare to but front panel and features are the same as before. The hardware on the back looks different to what ive seen before.
It sounds incredible. Clarity and liveliness for days, loves playing with other modules, superbly integratable, i could go on and on.
From super high resonances to flangers, choruses and delays, this one reall does everything.
The only downside is that i definitely need a few modules to patch up the various possible feedback combinations but i knew that before. A dry wet output would have been nice though :hihi:
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

Blackblacky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Post by Blackblacky » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:11 pm

timoka wrote:here's another d0 snippet, i love to patch it as flute, reed instrument with filter and vca in feedback path, played with a haken continuum.


http://soundcloud.com/uzala/do-modelling
Wow !
I just found a second hand D0 and stumbled on this post.
This is just crazy amazing. I mean really, it feels so natural.
I really need to try to reproduce this when i'll get it.
Are the longer delay also with the D0 ? or is there any other effects on this track ?

For your other amazing tracks on Soundcloud, did you also mainly used the D0 to produce these physical modeling sounds ?

User avatar
timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by timoka » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Blackblacky wrote:
timoka wrote:here's another d0 snippet, i love to patch it as flute, reed instrument with filter and vca in feedback path, played with a haken continuum.


http://soundcloud.com/uzala/do-modelling
Wow !
I just found a second hand D0 and stumbled on this post.
This is just crazy amazing. I mean really, it feels so natural.
I really need to try to reproduce this when i'll get it.
Are the longer delay also with the D0 ? or is there any other effects on this track ?

For your other amazing tracks on Soundcloud, did you also mainly used the D0 to produce these physical modeling sounds ?
congratulations on your d0!
na the normal delay was magneto i think. d0 is usually patched when i try these feedback sounds, either this or a interesting filter.
cheers

B0bcat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Post by B0bcat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Great to see this gorgeous module back again! I was wondering about these "enhancements" of v2.0, and if it would warrant the (decadent) upgrade from v1. Anything the new one can do that the old one can't?

User avatar
Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 am
Location: Earth

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am

And now for something completely different...

Here's a demo of D0 patched up as a 2 operator FM square wave oscillator. All you need in order to do this is an inverter for channel B and a couple stackable cables or mults. And an external oscillator for clocking in case you want to do melodic stuff with it and not get a headache.

https://soundcloud.com/smbols/mungo-d0- ... oscillator

The exact patch happening here is:

Sequence > Disting (B8 VCO) Square > D0 Clock

D0 A out > D0 A in
-----------> LPF > VCA > Monitor

D0 B out > Inverter > D0 B in
-----------------------> D0 A mod
-----------------------> D0 B mod

I opted to noodle with it a lot just to show how wide a range of tones are possible, rather than show off one or two sweet spots. And the slew control has a huge influence on the tones you'll get out of this, from what you'd expect to hear from an FM voice, to noisy but tonic voices, to glitched out garbage, to silence. I didn't mess with slew much in this example to avoid long instances of the latter.

Oscillator A is unmodulated in the beginning and I use the Disting to do some octave switching to show how well the D0 tracks. Then I introduce FM from channel B, and the final third shows off B modulating itself as well as A.

EDIT: Not sure why the track isn't appearing for me, but in case others aren't seeing it either here's a raw link:

https://soundcloud.com/smbols/mungo-d0- ... oscillator

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by FatRocky » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 am

Buttons ARE toys wrote:And now for something completely different...

Here's a demo of D0 patched up as a 2 operator FM square wave oscillator. All you need in order to do this is an inverter for channel B and a couple stackable cables or mults. And an external oscillator for clocking in case you want to do melodic stuff with it and not get a headache.

https://soundcloud.com/smbols/mungo-d0- ... oscillator

The exact patch happening here is:

Sequence > Disting (B8 VCO) Square > D0 Clock

D0 A out > D0 A in
-----------> LPF > VCA > Monitor

D0 B out > Inverter > D0 B in
-----------------------> D0 A mod
-----------------------> D0 B mod

I opted to noodle with it a lot just to show how wide a range of tones are possible, rather than show off one or two sweet spots. And the slew control has a huge influence on the tones you'll get out of this, from what you'd expect to hear from an FM voice, to noisy but tonic voices, to glitched out garbage, to silence. I didn't mess with slew much in this example to avoid long instances of the latter.

Oscillator A is unmodulated in the beginning and I use the Disting to do some octave switching to show how well the D0 tracks. Then I introduce FM from channel B, and the final third shows off B modulating itself as well as A.

EDIT: Not sure why the track isn't appearing for me, but in case others aren't seeing it either here's a raw link:

https://soundcloud.com/smbols/mungo-d0- ... oscillator
This is so interesting, i never thought on using my d0 like that. (liked specially when it goes to lower frequencies at the end )
Is this d0 mk1 or mk2?

Thanks for sharing :tu:

User avatar
Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 am
Location: Earth

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:11 pm

It's the mk1

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:31 pm

It's rather obvious from John's post above that there are no differences between the new and the old d0.

There seems to be a hardware change that will be useful for the new modules that are coming, but the d0 design was already fine as it was. Did I interpret your post correctly John?

Anyway, I have a d0 on the way but now I'm anxious about antistatic bags and second hand purchases. I hope all ends up well and my d0 works perfectly. Been meaning to get one of these for years, I'm kinda excited it's on its way to me.

Where can we find more info about the MIDI socket panel/adaptor you offer John?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
ipnoteca
cane morto
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:01 am
Location: tokyo

Post by ipnoteca » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:18 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote: Anyway, I have a d0 on the way but now I'm anxious about antistatic bags and second hand purchases. I hope all ends up well and my d0 works perfectly.
would be greatly appreciate some feedback on how to handle mungo modules.

D0 is my second mungo and can't hide i am afraid to plug into the case...the previous brand new G0 suddenly burned after functioning for a week without any apparent reason. any precautions we should all take to avoid any damage?
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:00 am

ipnoteca wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote: Anyway, I have a d0 on the way but now I'm anxious about antistatic bags and second hand purchases. I hope all ends up well and my d0 works perfectly.
would be greatly appreciate some feedback on how to handle mungo modules.

D0 is my second mungo and can't hide i am afraid to plug into the case...the previous brand new G0 suddenly burned after functioning for a week without any apparent reason. any precautions we should all take to avoid any damage?
I don't know if there's anything in particular one can do. Mungo would you care to give some insight?

That's VERY worrisome, the idea that you can receive a fully functioning module that might break after a week. I've never had any problems before and I've received literally hundreds of modules.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Post by Mungo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Where can we find more info about the MIDI socket panel/adaptor you offer John?
There isn't much to it, just a full sized midi socket that is wired to an adaptor which plugs into the bus board (previously it was on the back of a 0 module). There is a 4hp panel that can hold the midi socket and zoom control if you want it on the front of the case.
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
ipnoteca wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote: Anyway, I have a d0 on the way but now I'm anxious about antistatic bags and second hand purchases. I hope all ends up well and my d0 works perfectly.
would be greatly appreciate some feedback on how to handle mungo modules.

D0 is my second mungo and can't hide i am afraid to plug into the case...the previous brand new G0 suddenly burned after functioning for a week without any apparent reason. any precautions we should all take to avoid any damage?
I don't know if there's anything in particular one can do. Mungo would you care to give some insight?

That's VERY worrisome, the idea that you can receive a fully functioning module that might break after a week. I've never had any problems before and I've received literally hundreds of modules.
Static damage can be asymptomatic (shows no effect immediately), failure occurring later with no obvious connection to the damaging event. Several people have received damaged modules second hand that worked for some time before drawing more and more current until the power supply can't deliver any more or the module heats up so much it melts the silicon inside a chip. The modules need to be shipped and stored when outside the rack in their static bags. The other failure mode has been reverse connection of the power, but that usually causes immediate failure. For those worried about reverse power it was an option to use the onboard 5V supply for some of the modules but that uses more power and creates more heat so is not recommended.

Usual precautions apply to handling an exposed electronic part, keep the case plugged in but turned off and touch an exposed metalwork/0V/gnd connection before opening the static bag. Don't connect/disconnect modules while the case is powered. To be extra careful avoid touching the PCB and particularly the unused header. Once inside the rack its protected from anything happening at the front panel and there is nothing to worry about.

User avatar
timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by timoka » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:25 am

this locked thread has some answers:
viewtopic.php?t=145456

if you have a good power supply with 5v and nothing (also all other modules in the case) plugged in wrong then you should not have any problems whatsoever. damage from static electricity should not occur, they ship out in anti static bags, just be aware that these modules can break with static electricity, handle with care.

User avatar
timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by timoka » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:28 am

here's a how to setup the d0 as single delay line example:

Image

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:07 am

Mungo wrote:Static damage can be asymptomatic (shows no effect immediately), failure occurring later with no obvious connection to the damaging event. Several people have received damaged modules second hand that worked for some time before drawing more and more current until the power supply can't deliver any more or the module heats up so much it melts the silicon inside a chip. The modules need to be shipped and stored when outside the rack in their static bags. The other failure mode has been reverse connection of the power, but that usually causes immediate failure. For those worried about reverse power it was an option to use the onboard 5V supply for some of the modules but that uses more power and creates more heat so is not recommended.
In case the second hand module arrives without a static bag, is there a way to discern if there's any possible damage done to it previously without having to experience a complete failure of the module? Is there a way to avoid causing any damage?

Does the d0 have an optional use of 5v power? I was looking at the power consumption specs and there seem to be two different specs for the module. Care to explain?

Thank you for your time.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”