Must have Doepfer Modules...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Re: Must have Doepfer Modules...

Post by FatKingTubby » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:18 am

donrock wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:33 am
How did the old doepfer modules that are mentioned above hold up over the years? I'm interested in adding some utility modules to my rig, any new doepfer modules, that I should be on the lookout for? Maybe a clock divider (like a160-2), vcas, etc. There's so many doepfer modules I don't even know where to start :)
The newer slim lined versions really hold up well. The dual envelopes (A-142-2 and A-140-2) as well as the A-138i interrupting mixer have been on my list for a while now but I'm not itching to get them that badly. I've really liked using the A-182-2 Quad switch for sending trigger patterns to different drum modules, and 4hp guys like the A-150 dual VCS, A-132-1 dual VCA, and A-160-2 clock divider are always solid and handy. Additionally if you've got the rack space for the A-152, you can work it into so many patches in tons of different ways. One main use I have for it is auditioning new modules. For example if I have a new oscillator, I'll route all of its outputs to the A-152 and have the common out on that going to a filter or VCA so I can quickly switch through each waveform without moving cables around. This is prob one of its simplest uses, but its so convenient when testing out new modules, and doing quick A/B/C/etc comparisons.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:31 am

The A-196 PLL holds up really well. Perhaps not regards as a utility though. :cool:

I’m happy with the Quad decay and very happy with the A-135-2 Quad VCA which takes up little space, is cheap, does the quad VCA thing and has some bonus mixing function too.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:36 pm

Matrix mixer, still practically the only game in town if the inverting mixing aspect of it is important to you (as it should)
WTB:
Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF,
Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF,
ADDAC 805v1,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel Dixie 1, Spock, FlipFlop,
Bastl SoftPop,
Skychord Cloudbuster

FS/FT(US): Bard Vacuform vacuum tube multi mode filter, factory-built, $250 shipped

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks to everyone for advice and suggestions. I think I'll go with 135-2 and 160-2. Unfortunately, I can't fit the Matrix mixer (due to depth) into my rack.
I'm also considering a switch, but besides the Doepfer ones the ALM Boss bow two also looks interesting.. I'll dwell on it for a bit longer.

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:27 pm

do you mean width? the a-138m is not very deep

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:33 pm

donrock wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:20 pm
I'm also considering a switch, but besides the Doepfer ones the ALM Boss bow two also looks interesting.. I'll dwell on it for a bit longer.
OT, but do check out Klavis Mixwitch too. A thing of beauty and around Doepfer's pricing.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 am

dekemcculo wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:27 pm
do you mean width? the a-138m is not very deep
Sorry, I was looking up many doepfer modules and mixed it up with another one that's 80mm deep (or maybe there was a typo about the depth somewhere as I was simultaneously checking stuff on schneidersladen, thomann and modulargrid..), but now I don't remember which one it was anymore.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:00 am

yhf wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:30 am
donrock wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:33 am
Resurrecting an old thread ..
How did the old doepfer modules that are mentioned above hold up over the years? I'm interested in adding some utility modules to my rig, any new doepfer modules, that I should be on the lookout for? Maybe a clock divider (like a160-2), vcas, etc. There's so many doepfer modules I don't even know where to start :)
In general, Doepfer offers great quality at a fair price. I own some but not all of the mentioned modules, so I can't comment on all of them. But generally speaking I'd say: You can't go wrong there. Since you mention VCAs: Check out the A-135-2. I just added it to my rack and am really pleased with it.
I wasn't aware of the Doepfer A-135-2 until I read it here. I've got four A-135-1 (version 2), and I'd pick up a good deal of space if those were replaced with four of the A-135-2.
Attachments
Euro Mod Cab - 4.jpg
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:28 am

Doepfer A-198 (Trautonium) ribbon controller is a great way to connect to your synth.
Then the A-198 feeding both a gate and CV to an A-156 Quantiser.
The Quantiser can control an oscillator and also trigger an envelope generator giving you the control for a whole playable instrument.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

nomenklature
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nomenklature » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 am

The A-147-2 is pretty great, lots of functionality in 8HP: VC-LFO with reset, multiple waveform outs, plus a VCA and trigger-based attack/delay envelope. You can either dial in attenutation or polarization for the incoming CV for LFO and delay. These three sections are normalized but can operate independently too.

The Doepfer webpage description and module markings are a little convoluted, but once I wrapped my head around it, it turns out to have a ton of uses. Also has the most colorful LED configuration I've seen in a Doepfer module...

H1mod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by H1mod » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:51 am

-a-151 sequential switch, love the ability to quickly switch the amount of steps in the sequence.
-a-182-2 Just ordered for performance applications -- its a manual quad passive switch going to use it to alternate trigger and pitch cvs from multiple sources into different destinations - i love the ability to have either 1 input -> 2 outputs, or 2 input -> 1 output, very handy!

also have a a-124 wasp in my rack, which i constantly fall in and out of love with :/ lol

SIN_formant_A1472V
Common Wiggler

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:32 am

I've built a black system that has a lot of Doepfer vintage stuff in it,
A-190-3 for midi to cv/gate
A-184-1 which is an awesome ring mod, s+h, and slew limiter combo, I use it a lot
the Linear and Exponential mixer modules
and the delayed LFO

I also have the wasp filter, which I highly recommend. Doepfer also makes a pretty awesome sampling wavetable module that I use for a lot of strange sounds. You can get sounds reminiscent of the Absynth plug-in with it. I also recommend their high end oscillator, pretty amazing. The multimode filter is my favorite though, using two of them in tandem with a mixer allows you to get some pretty interesting filtered sounds out of things like field recordings and the like.

Honestly, I think Doepfer is pretty amazing and I'd buy every single module they have ever put out if I could afford to buy them all at once.

SIN_formant_A1472V
Common Wiggler

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:33 am

nomenklature wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 am
The A-147-2 is pretty great, lots of functionality in 8HP: VC-LFO with reset, multiple waveform outs, plus a VCA and trigger-based attack/delay envelope. You can either dial in attenutation or polarization for the incoming CV for LFO and delay. These three sections are normalized but can operate independently too.
Damn right! I love that module!

paterursus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by paterursus » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:32 am

A-171-2 VC Slew is brilliant given the amount of manual and CV control you have in a module that's only 8hp.
Wiggling in the 16th century
Lots of Eurorack modules for sale

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:35 am

The oldest modules I have are doepfer modules, most of which are from 2007.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:46 pm

Another vote for the A-182 2. Very useful for switching or muting in a performance. Plus it's passive, shallow, and cheap.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

TH
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TH » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:42 am

The A-141-2 VC ADSR doesn't get talked about much on here. It is a pretty powerful module that is way more than just a simple envelope generator. It is one of the most fully featured VC ADSRs in eurorack.

It has gate outputs for the end of attack and end of release. It can be patched to oscillate and it has a huge range, from a very slow LFO to supersonic VCO (with additional CV).

It has dedicated attenuverters for the CV inputs for the four stages. This is an undocumented change that isn't listed on Doepfer's website, and the pictures of the silver panels show regular attenuators. As with many other Doepfer modules, there is clever normalization of the CV inputs (they cascade downward to the other inputs). The envelope output(s) can be fed back into the CV inputs to change the slopes.

It also has a CV input that can control the A,D, and R stages together. There are jumpers that can change which stages are controlled with this input, and also has jumpers that can change it to increase or decrease the time with positive voltage. It doesn't track anywhere near 1v/oct, which is unfortunate because it sounds nice as a VCO.

In addition to the normal and inverted outputs, it has a third output that is controlled by a built in VCA.

One cool trick is to use it as a waveshaper. Feed the output of a VCO into the gate input, then adjust the stages or use CV. This is especially useful for getting different waveforms out of a self oscillating filter. Depending on the time of the stages, you can get results that sound similar to saw and triangle waves, but with slower settings you can get weird sub octaves and other glitchy effects.

EASYBOY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EASYBOY » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:38 am

A-143-4 quad VCO/LFO
Poor wigglers batumi.

First i thought i need To switch it against a batumi because of the massive hp consumption. But now i think it is a brilliant module i never want to Change.

bradovic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bradovic » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:15 pm

A-111-4 Quad Precision VCO, sounds glorious

theantiroman
Common Wiggler

Post by theantiroman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:07 pm

This thread is great, I gotta give a shout to the a-138m as a great way to pull external signals into the system. Then the a-119 is great for extracting info from the external world into modular land.

Actually diy-ing a doepfer case and then building up a system of doepfer classics to mess with metasonix modules.

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:22 pm

Must have Doepfer modules... for what purpose ?
So many modules, so many purposes...
But my answer based on my very personal needs are :
A-155/154 sequencer, the heart of all my tracks
A-156 dual quantizer, just essential
A-160 divider + A-138 mixer = a very useful sort of sequencer
A-120 and A-106-6 filters, because i just love them
A-138m, the ultimate weapon for complex feedback-based patchs
A-152, the secret graal

Return to “Eurorack Modules”