pearl sy-1

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Still got mine kicking about that I got for $10 or something, years ago, at a junk shop.

Never got it to actually produce any sound, powers up okay, but can't for the life of me get it to trigger :hmm:

Any tips most welcome :)

zamzam
Common Wiggler

Post by zamzam » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:21 am

NS4W wrote:@clack:
It would pair up perfect with your Stoicheia-module! :party:
My main motivation for this post!
i know the guys at Rebel Tech and am trying to convince them to build something like an sy-1 to marry up with their Stoicheia-module. hee, hee!!!
it would be a deadly combination!

i did spot this

http://hem.bredband.net/bersyn/news.htm

folkroom
Common Wiggler

Post by folkroom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:15 pm

NS4W wrote:
Scaff wrote:i´m sure!
but it does track, not just correctly to 1V/oct?
to use the tune input as a cv-input you need a special stereo cable (cv on the tip without connecting the central ring).. the input was made for an expression pedal (so like a potentiometer)
however it's not 1v/oct... i'm trying to figure out how to make it work at 1v/oct
i think maybe like this... but I'm not sure about the exact value of the resistance

WTB
AKG BX-15
Manhattan Analog - MIX

SMS303
Tha BABELFISH Wiggler...

Post by SMS303 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 pm

NS4W wrote:How's the Quad compared to the Syncussion?
the easiest comparision is:
Quad more 808-ish with a max. sustain time of 13 secs (bwwwwoooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm) with shaking doors/windows and angry calling neighboors :woah:
Syncusion more 909-ish with more punch/shorter attack (BWAAAMMM)
do you follow me :razz:
NS4W wrote:Please make that happen!
Perhaps J3RK can do it? He's one of tha masters :hail:
Me is not really an engineer but a stupid solder padawan .....
NS4W wrote:Mode Machines are apparently working on a SDS3 clone: http://www.modemachines.com/en/products ... _MIDI.html
Building yourself is more fun! :sb:

What about a SDS3 clone plus a Bass++ plus CGS SY-1 in a standalone 19" 4U budbox as ultimate stand alone diy drumsynth?
just a thought..... :whistle:

i cant attach the SDS3 schematics....
the file it's too biggggg....
pm me with an emailaddress if you want have...
------------> Jaime Murray does Capua.... ------------------------------------------>

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 pm

as you can do it modular, I'm guessing part of it's greatness are the limitations. Curious if there's anything unique about the deign of any parts.
That's why an ms-20 still is great, even if you can do more with a modular, your choices are limited, that's a huge part of the design that made it great. And the Minimoog ...etc. Always wanted one of these, it seems odd it hasn't been cloned before, figured it was all things combined is what makes it special.
Very interested in boards or a clone.

clack
Common Wiggler

Post by clack » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:12 pm

SMS303 wrote:
NS4W wrote:Mode Machines are apparently working on a SDS3 clone: http://www.modemachines.com/en/products ... _MIDI.html
Building yourself is more fun! :sb:

What about a SDS3 clone plus a Bass++ plus CGS SY-1 in a standalone 19" 4U budbox as ultimate stand alone diy drumsynth?
just a thought..... :whistle:

i cant attach the SDS3 schematics....
the file it's too biggggg....
pm me with an emailaddress if you want have...
Last time I read anything about that schematic there was still an issue with it as it is not properly drawn or some values are wrong in the filter section, I was not clever enough to understand ladder filters to work it out. Then somebody else claimed they had it working from tracing an actual SDS3 but it was not posted. Interested to know if Mode Machines got that info and if it works!

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:30 pm

So I recieved my SY-1 today and fired it up. Listening through headphones it has really low volume - is that a sign of some parts might need changing? :mad:

SMS303
Tha BABELFISH Wiggler...

Post by SMS303 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:31 pm

I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, the output from channel 2 (is lower as ch.1) needs a modification for same output volume as channel 1....
------------> Jaime Murray does Capua.... ------------------------------------------>

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Ah fuck you guys!

I was blissfully unaware of this beast until this thread - now WANT! :waah:

Wonderful sounding box!

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:32 pm

NS4W wrote:So I recieved my SY-1 today and fired it up. Listening through headphones it has really low volume - is that a sign of some parts might need changing? :mad:
Headphones? You gotta amp that shit. Also remember the triggers affect the volume as well. Low, soft triggers = soft, quiet sounds.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:06 am

noobyscooby wrote: Headphones? You gotta amp that shit. Also remember the triggers affect the volume as well. Low, soft triggers = soft, quiet sounds.
i'll try that when people wake up here... hopefully nothings wrong. i triggered it with an lfo from the modular, thought that should be a hot enough signal.

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:15 am

Maybe just a saw, or square, but possibly not. You'll probably need a good thump from a drum machine bass drum or rim shot. If you are using an LFO you'll probably need the sensitivity pots turned way up and even then it may not be a strong enough for long enough signal.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:14 am

Ok - so I got my syncussion running - but only my 2nd channel is producing any sound. The first one triggers (led activates) and the lfo is running but no sound. Where do I start troubleshooting this thing? Replacing all capacitors?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 am

jgb wrote:http://soundcloud.com/maskinbatterist/syket

A track made with only the SY-1. Recorded loops, and then arranged it in some old version of Acid. Some kind of technoish thing.

I love this machine!
Great stuff! Anyone have any info about the voice architecture? Just want to have a go at recreating some of those sounds.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey, I didn't even know this thing existed. Maybe phono1337 could be of help? He's (too) good with clones.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

newgreyarea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by newgreyarea » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:20 pm

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I love thing and would love a clone. Wouldn't even need to be in euro. Rack mounted would be ace. I really just want a tweaky drum synth. All the drum modules seem great but don't give much to play around with. I'm considering a Vermona DRM but it's not quite the same.
-b

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:23 pm

newgreyarea wrote:I was just thinking about this yesterday. I love thing and would love a clone. Wouldn't even need to be in euro. Rack mounted would be ace. I really just want a tweaky drum synth. All the drum modules seem great but don't give much to play around with. I'm considering a Vermona DRM but it's not quite the same.
-b
The DRM is quite clean and sterilized. I'm keeping mine, but still ...
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:27 am

reviving this dead thread. i have an sy1 but LFO on 2nd VCO died... not sure what happened. re-soldered joints to no avail... must be a busted switch, since it was intermittent before it completely went out- would come in and out when changing the 3 way LFO toggle switch. those switches are impossible to find.. anyone know of a good substitute? gotta get that thing fired up.

Also, i emailed pearl a few years ago when i bought mine, and talked to a really nice guy who emailed me the original schematics and full service manual. they are all high-quality scans.

download
http://www.mediafire.com/?db0rm23m2zwybpw

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:12 am

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for clear scans for quite some time. :tu:

Parametex
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Parametex » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:29 am

I got one SY-1 at the studio but would buy two closes more in an heart beat!

Many drum brain sounds tend to be a bit on the lame side, for some reason the syncussion has always delivered much more with seemingly similar set of controls.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:36 am

jamb wrote:anyone know of a good substitute? gotta get that thing fired up.
There is a seller on eBay who regularly puts up service parts for the SY-1, just use the save search function for "syncussion" or "pearl sy-1" and you will be notified when a relevant listing is put up. He has listed the switches several times, but unfortunately not now.

*edit* Link to the seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/synthsnstuff/

On another note, I just got mine back from a tech and it's great paired with a SCM/RCD! :party:

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:09 am

NS4W wrote: There is a seller on eBay who regularly puts up service parts for the SY-1, just use the save search function for "syncussion" or "pearl sy-1" and you will be notified when a relevant listing is put up. He has listed the switches several times, but unfortunately not now.

*edit* Link to the seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/synthsnstuff/
yeah, i saw those parts a while back-- actually searched that seller out and emailed him yesterday to see if he's still got anything. it seems to me that the sliders and switches for this thing are pretty much irreplaceable. i am considering trying this switch out, looks like it just might work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-TR-808-R ... 3f1e1459bd

did any major parts have to be replaced on yours, NS4W?

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:46 pm

jamb wrote: did any major parts have to be replaced on yours, NS4W?
I'm not sure what the tech did, I only know that both channels now work fine.

subcon
Common Wiggler

Post by subcon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 pm

BTW, thanks MUCh for that SY-1 schematic. Been looking for that for years!
:)

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 pm

sure thing. :chug:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”