pearl sy-1

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I've always wanted one of these. Never found one for a price I'd be willing to pay
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 pm

subcon wrote:BTW, thanks MUCh for that SY-1 schematic. Been looking for that for years!
:)
+1 :tu: mine has been suffering from bad sliders at the output ... need to fix that soonish. i does sound great .... oh, and btw, one of my channels was usually set for an extreme 808 booooooooeeeeem, the other for a s&h/metalblip functioning as sort of hihat. triggers from 606 or piezopads.
this was the machine that eventually replaced my ems vcs3/synthi's for weird percussion sounds ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Diao
Wiggling with Experience

S

Post by Diao » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:01 pm

pelican wrote:I've always wanted one of th4ese. Never found one for a price I'd be willing to pay
Ditto, I've wanted one for just about as long as I've been buying gear, except. If anyone has one that they would be willing to sell or trade for some Cwejman or Makenoise modules then send me a PM!
WTB: Mogami Eurorack Patch Cables! Please! I will gladly pay you way more than you paid for them! Help a guy out!

Remork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remork » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:02 pm

hey
got here through an email from jamb - modded mine to track 1v/oct and to have stereo outs (ch1 L, ch2 R). posted about it on my blog, which i presume is where jamb found me..

for those of you with a steady solderhand, info is here.
with the hi res service manual/schematic out, i'm planning a more extensive write-up if there's any interest.

need to record some samples and put them up, i know - but i'm in the middle of soldering three bantam patch bays, so don't know when i'll get round to it. anyway, just wanted to say hi and share the luurve :party:

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Remork,
Thanks! This will come in handy for my SY-1. The SY-1 sounds so great.. great info, video & sounds, thanks again.
I also have a rare Maxim MDS-500, which is a 5-channel Japanese clone of the SDS-V from the 70s (which also uses a SSM2044 chip per channel). They are quite different sounding, which is good.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 am

Hey Remork! Thanks for sharing the useful info - I've long wanted those mods on my syncussion.

I read your blog and saw that you might redo(?) your mods now that you got the service manual. I'd be super grateful if you made ana easy to follow guide available :hail:

jgb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jgb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 am

Remork wrote:for those of you with a steady solderhand, info is here.
with the hi res service manual/schematic out, i'm planning a more extensive write-up if there's any interest.
Yay! Will do this when I have the time. :)

Remork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remork » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:54 am

well, i won't be redoing my mods as such.. i was thinking more of redoing the mod info. :P you know, the kind of solder-by-numbers some people have been asking for.

a word of warning though: the mods on the blog do involve some extra perfboard soldering (well, that's how i did mine anyways) and definitely some tracecutting, so it's not the kind of thing i would venture into if you're not 100% confident about your DIY skills.. but i'll include a full disclaimer once it's up on the blog, hah.

oh, what i wanted to know: do any of you EVER use the mute jack?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:22 am

So no one took the challenge of making a clone for this now that we have the scematics?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Remork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remork » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:29 am

well, feel free.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 am

Remork wrote:well, i won't be redoing my mods as such.. i was thinking more of redoing the mod info. :P you know, the kind of solder-by-numbers some people have been asking for.

a word of warning though: the mods on the blog do involve some extra perfboard soldering (well, that's how i did mine anyways) and definitely some tracecutting, so it's not the kind of thing i would venture into if you're not 100% confident about your DIY skills.. but i'll include a full disclaimer once it's up on the blog, hah.
I'm 100% confident in my solder-by-numbers! :hihi:
I just need some good instructions and I'll be fine

I've never used the mute switch no.

Remork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remork » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 am

just wondering about the mute jack, since removing it might make some room for more functionality..

since 'someone' got my interest up again, i'm looking into a S/H depth mod,
but i'm a bit reluctant to drill the case.. so far it's still got its original look, and i really like stealth mods. 8_)

Remork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remork » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:34 pm

by the way
just found this german forum topic. all the way at the bottom is a picture of a 1v/oct mod, albeit for both channels at once.

for the non-german speakers - i think it says he did a tracecut for both ring and tip, then installed 5K (well, 2x10K parallel)+ 1K trimmer from the tip to the tune input (brown cable), and got a 1v/oct response that way.

that would make sense, since that basically makes a resistor divider network with the 5.6K pulldown on the input, which cuts the voltage on the input in half (or thereabouts.).
i decided not to do it that way, although i don't really remember why not :)
because i like doing stuff the hard way, maybe, hah.

if someone feels like trying this, i'll add it to my write-up.

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 pm

If nobody is going to make a clone (I'd pay good money for one) then could somebody draw a rough diagram of the signal flow and explain the different oscillator modes so I can try and patch it up with my euro. Also where is the filter? I can't read schematics and the user manual i've found on the internet doesn't mention a filter on the SY-1

Remork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remork » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:25 pm

i'm thinking now the schematics are out, in less than a year your clone will be available.. wouldn't be the first time. :twisted:

meanwhile, here's a pdf of the pearl brochure.
there's some info on structure in there - you're gonna need 2 VCO's and a noise source for one voice.

in the zip provided by jamb there's a lot more info on the modulation and noise mix, it's not just schematics. makes a good read if you want to recreate it. and there is definitely a filter (2 per voice, actually), but none of its parameters are really user editable, apart from cutoff freq using both the Width slider and the Tune slider.
Attachments
SY1.pdf
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 37 times

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 pm

i replaced my busted output jack with the mute jack, so there's an empty slot there now. ventilation. how often i play this thing it probably needs it..... i put guitar straps on my sy1. when i was living in berlin i once was playing a show outdoors when it started sleeting... i didn't compromise--stupid :bang:! it has a couple of problems but still syngs.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:57 am

dar303
Common Wiggler

Post by dar303 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm

NS4W wrote:Ok - so I got my syncussion running - but only my 2nd channel is producing any sound. The first one triggers (led activates) and the lfo is running but no sound. Where do I start troubleshooting this thing? Replacing all capacitors?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The uasual thing is either the selector switches screwed to tight so solder joint break (somebody removed the washers or they need more washers from the beginning) or the pcb:s have come loose/corroded contacts or the solder joints to the contact pcb are broken. All is super simple tom fix with some fresh solder and an iron or som contact spray!

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:26 am

with mine the problem was in the volume sliders. replacements can be gotten on ebay. or simply wire for max volume. or you replace it with a better quality rotaty pot ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

patilon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by patilon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 am

do you know a specific ebay auction?
new sliders would be great, but a lot of work on the other side.. or perhaps some extraordinary high quality contact spray.. every slider and switch could use some of that.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:37 am

check under 'sliders' and 'syncussion'. no offers right now, but maybe they'll show up again?

patilon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by patilon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:01 pm

okay, thanks!

folkroom
Common Wiggler

Post by folkroom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:30 am

Remork wrote:hey
got here through an email from jamb - modded mine to track 1v/oct and to have stereo outs (ch1 L, ch2 R). posted about it on my blog, which i presume is where jamb found me..

for those of you with a steady solderhand, info is here.
thanks a lot for sharing!
i tried to find a solution to make it possible to track 1v/oct for a long time with no success.
WTB
AKG BX-15
Manhattan Analog - MIX

Remork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remork » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:32 am

okay, long time coming, but THIS might help you out.

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:43 pm

jamb wrote:2,300 bucks my god, this is a joke

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Syncussio ... 4d14072f74
Why a joke? Have you seen prices for an 808 or 909? This is just as good and more rare
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

Return to “Eurorack Modules”