Wogglebug S/H Question

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Wogglebug S/H Question

Post by laserpalace » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Is it possible to make the S/H output on the wogglebug repetitive? I find that it never really repeats its steps twice in a row. I'd love get more determined patterns from it. Maybe this is antithetical to what a S/H does, specifically on the wogglebug. Any thoughts/patch ideas?

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm realizing now that that's is one of the many differences between the noisering and wogglebug. I've owned both at one point or another but I'm more fond of the woggle. I wish I could force it to be stuck for lack of a better word!

:woggle: :bug:

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 pm

try turning heart down. and the range knobs of the two osc's down. they all interact. also if turning heart down makes it not active enough, try using some sort of cv heart injection like a step of a sequence or an envelope going off or something.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 pm

I've been running a cycling maths channel into the heart which helps, but nothing quite repetitive yet.

lukas412
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lukas412 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:26 pm

if i turn heart all the way down and send a cycling maths channel into the heart input, i will get a sample and hold effect on the maths envelope at the input every time the bug gets a clock pulse. if i sync the maths eg i can get it to repeat endlessly. its just acting like a normal sample and hold with every clock input. if you turn heart up just a little you can add variations generated from the bug oscillators.

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks that makes bit more sense to me. I'm getting it to do what I want now, just had to kill the VCO's as well as the S/H out.

Gbeam
Common Wiggler

Post by Gbeam » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:09 am

thanks for this idea as well, I just got mine in the mail today

bryantcheramie
Alopex

Post by bryantcheramie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:27 am

Attenuate then quantize the signal?

aethersprite
Wiggling with Expedience

Post by aethersprite » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:02 am

I think I want a Wogglebug; would it be overkill with the ADDAC 501 and a Noisering in 6U?

bodo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bodo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:10 am

Just a quick question, the second light (clock) doesn't light up on mine, is this normal? Just wanted to make sure, thanks!

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Wogglebug S/H Question

Post by Navs » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 am

laserpalace wrote:Is it possible to make the S/H output on the wogglebug repetitive?
This is something I struggled with for a long time. You could use an analogue shift register with feedback or a CV recorder like the Tyme Sefari or a modded A-112:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2011 ... e-osc.html

In the end I settled on another approach:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2011 ... order.html

This is one of the advantages of the NR. The A-149-1 will allow you to specify/ limit which 'notes' to randomly play.

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 am

Navs
Thanks for the links! This is exactly what I'm striving to do. As much as I love the wogglebug I have to accept that it's not very predictable. In my experience the NR has the advantage over this aspect as well.

aethersprite
I think it might be overkill. I found that while I loved having the NR and Woggle together I often went for one over the other. Using them in tandem for me meant dual attenuators and dual quantizers, which starts to get a little crazy for 6u. Hey weren't you talking about going Serge not that long ago? :hihi:

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:24 am

bodo
It should light is dependent on the range knobs and S/H rate. Tweak those and you should definitely see the random burst light up.

clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

Post by clarke68 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:42 am

laserpalace wrote:As much as I love the wogglebug I have to accept that it's not very predictable.
It was originally meant as a source of uncertainly after all...

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 pm

clarke68
touché :hihi:

RealDudes
Lives in a Dudeplex

Post by RealDudes » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:11 pm

if the clock or trigger that is driving your EG is halved and then sent to the clock in on the woggle then you would get each note twice in a row. I think, never owned a woggle though
the most important track you'll ever make is the next
https://soundcloud.com/doom_asylum
https://soundcloud.com/wade_blazer

osyrus11
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Wogglebug S/H Question

Post by osyrus11 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 pm

laserpalace wrote:Is it possible to make the S/H output on the wogglebug repetitive? I find that it never really repeats its steps twice in a row. I'd love get more determined patterns from it. Maybe this is antithetical to what a S/H does, specifically on the wogglebug. Any thoughts/patch ideas?
just learning my way through this one too. This is probably not what you're after, but I've found cv recorders super useful for grabbing phrases of c.v. from patches that rely and random or spontaneous events. ( I use nexus instruments cv looper) but I guess then you're getting into turning machine territory, not quite the same thing.

Clive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Clive » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Another approach would be to use two cross-modulated but resettable LFOs or VCOs - let them run amok for a while and then snap them back into sync. Use a clock divider or a comparator to determine the reset point. Make one oscillator the main clock/sample command and the other the data source.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”