A-185-2 Precision Adder Thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:07 am

cptnal wrote:
Zymos wrote:It can transpose in various intervals- so where the Deopfer one has toggles for octaves, this one has a few toggles for other intervals -depending on which ones you switch, and whether towards plus or minus, it will transpose to a different note.
...don't forget to patch an offset into the Doepfer - then it can do non-octave intervals too. :cloud:
In this case, you need to tune your offset by ear or with a tuner or something right? Without a voltage meter, there’s no trick to dial it exactly an offset of a 5th or whatever?

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:26 pm

av500 wrote:
jwise wrote:So then I'll let loose and ask Vladimir....when is it coming? First quarter, summer, next fall? What's the rough cost? Do you have a prototype working? How about some teaser video?
first quarter :) yes, it's working and people are using it on stage already :)
Vlad.. I'd be interested in one of the T43 modules for sure.. let me know.

f

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:23 am

Futuresound wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Zymos wrote:It can transpose in various intervals- so where the Deopfer one has toggles for octaves, this one has a few toggles for other intervals -depending on which ones you switch, and whether towards plus or minus, it will transpose to a different note.
...don't forget to patch an offset into the Doepfer - then it can do non-octave intervals too. :cloud:
In this case, you need to tune your offset by ear or with a tuner or something right? Without a voltage meter, there’s no trick to dial it exactly an offset of a 5th or whatever?
Indeed. This is where multiple quantizers come in handy. The A156 is good for this because the top half is tuned to all semitones by default (i.e. you can pick any interval you like and it'll be "true").

Risc_Terilia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Risc_Terilia » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:11 pm

I just realised you can use this as a 4 in 3 out audio mixer/buffered mult as long as you don't mind some offset audio :sb:

AndreasD
Common Wiggler

Post by AndreasD » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:23 pm

Risc_Terilia wrote:I just realised you can use this as a 4 in 3 out audio mixer/buffered mult as long as you don't mind some offset audio :sb:
If all active (not off) channels have an input cable connected there will be no offset.

Risc_Terilia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Risc_Terilia » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:08 pm

AndreasD wrote:
Risc_Terilia wrote:I just realised you can use this as a 4 in 3 out audio mixer/buffered mult as long as you don't mind some offset audio :sb:
If all active (not off) channels have an input cable connected there will be no offset.
Oh yeah of course, thanks man. What's the effect of the switch when you have audio coming in? Phase reverse?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 am

If the switch is to the right it subtracts the incoming signal (or 1v). Bear in mind that if you're using it post-quantizer the result may or may not land on your scale.

Risc_Terilia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Risc_Terilia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:51 am

cptnal wrote:If the switch is to the right it subtracts the incoming signal (or 1v). Bear in mind that if you're using it post-quantizer the result may or may not land on your scale.
I'm talking about audio rate signals :tu:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:25 am

Risc_Terilia wrote:
cptnal wrote:If the switch is to the right it subtracts the incoming signal (or 1v). Bear in mind that if you're using it post-quantizer the result may or may not land on your scale.
I'm talking about audio rate signals :tu:
Ahh.. Well in that case I guess yeah - phase reverse. Any point in the waveform will be multiplied by -1.

Edit: Just tested it. :mrgreen:

Mult a signal into two of the channels. Switch one + and the other -. Result: No sound! :tu:

dystop1a
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dystop1a » Wed May 09, 2018 3:55 pm

I’m so confused I think my module is faulty ... I plug in pitch from BeatStep pro outputs about 4.5 volts (I multimeter tested it).

Then on a-185-2 input anywhere on the 4 inputs, then on output it’s outputting around 9/10 volts!! Wtf is going on here...please help

I wanted to use this module to -4 volts/voctaves from BeatStep to input on my Moog m32 to match the 0v/o on pitch.

This must be broken?!!!!

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 am

Doesn't sound right. One of those outputs should be an inverted version of the other three.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu May 10, 2018 7:49 am

dystop1a wrote:I’m so confused I think my module is faulty ... I plug in pitch from BeatStep pro outputs about 4.5 volts (I multimeter tested it).

Then on a-185-2 input anywhere on the 4 inputs, then on output it’s outputting around 9/10 volts!! Wtf is going on here...please help

I wanted to use this module to -4 volts/voctaves from BeatStep to input on my Moog m32 to match the 0v/o on pitch.

This must be broken?!!!!
Do you have all the unused channel inputs switched off ( switch in center position)?

dystop1a
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dystop1a » Thu May 10, 2018 3:34 pm

cptnal wrote:Doesn't sound right. One of those outputs should be an inverted version of the other three.
One does the power one but it’s -10

dystop1a
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dystop1a » Thu May 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Do you have all the unused channel inputs switched off ( switch in center position)?
Is that the way to use it ? I’m sure I tried that. I basically tried every possible alternative all on all off all negative- nothing changed the cv volts output.

I’ll give it one more go tonight to see if I can get it working. [/quote]

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu May 10, 2018 4:34 pm

dystop1a wrote:
Is that the way to use it ? I’m sure I tried that. I basically tried every possible alternative all on all off all negative- nothing changed the cv volts output.

I’ll give it one more go tonight to see if I can get it working.
[/quote]

Also: Do you have another module that possibly sends something through the system bus on the busboard your A-185-2 is connected to?

dystop1a
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dystop1a » Thu May 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Also: Do you have another module that possibly sends something through the system bus on the busboard your A-185-2 is connected to?
I am using a TipTop audio uZesus to power the module (not a doepfer bus/case). I am planning to remove all modules from the Flying bus to test if that helps.

I read that about the busboard on the doepfer site, also read on here other people are having issues with this module (tuning is off). I even tried removing the jumper it did nothing to the volts.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu May 10, 2018 6:41 pm

dystop1a wrote:
I am using a TipTop audio uZesus to power the module (not a doepfer bus/case). I am planning to remove all modules from the Flying bus to test if that helps.

I read that about the busboard on the doepfer site, also read on here other people are having issues with this module (tuning is off). I even tried removing the jumper it did nothing to the volts.
That's a good thought R.U.Nuts had. Regardless of what buss board or flying buss you have, if it uses 16 pin headers (they all do I'm pretty sure) then any module that is setup to send CV and/or gate signals through the buss will. Since the A-185-2 has a 16 pin header on board it will interact with any of the voltage on the buss if setup to do so. Just make sure the jumpers are removed from the A-185-2 to eliminate that possibility:
Remark for A-185-2 users: There is a pin header with three pins (labelled JP5) near the bus cable connector. If no jumper is installed there is no connection between the outputs of the A-185-2 and the CV line of the A-100 bus. In the lower position the normal CV output of the A-185-2 is connected to the CV line of the A-100 bus. In the upper position the inverted CV output of the A-185-2 is connected to the CV line of the A-100 bus.

dystop1a
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dystop1a » Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
dystop1a wrote:

That's a good thought R.U.Nuts had. Regardless of what buss board or flying buss you have, if it uses 16 pin headers (they all do I'm pretty sure) then any module that is setup to send CV and/or gate signals through the buss will. Since the A-185-2 has a 16 pin header on board it will interact with any of the voltage on the buss if setup to do so. Just make sure the jumpers are removed from the A-185-2 to eliminate that possibility:
Remark for A-185-2 users: There is a pin header with three pins (labelled JP5) near the bus cable connector. If no jumper is installed there is no connection between the outputs of the A-185-2 and the CV line of the A-100 bus. In the lower position the normal CV output of the A-185-2 is connected to the CV line of the A-100 bus. In the upper position the inverted CV output of the A-185-2 is connected to the CV line of the A-100 bus.
yes very good help thanks allot everyone but tried removing all the modules from the uZesus power (even tried without the jumper on the a-185-2) and taking the jumpers off the uZesus (for full 500mA of –12V power for the modules) and plugging into the "Additional Flying Bus Board Port" in case. Still the same issue cv/pitch volts are at 10.5/9.5 (also they don't move if there's an attenuation of scales or pitches coming through the cv).

sending it back tomorrow!

phosfiend
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phosfiend » Thu May 31, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm either missing something or... mine seems to be inverted, voltage wise?

Switches in the left (-) position are adding voltage (pitch up)
Switches in the right (+) position are subtracting voltage (pitch down)

The three (+) outputs don't seem to do anything, but the (-) output is the only useful output.

Have I done something wrong? Am I mistaken as to how this thing should work? Any help much appreciated!
I made a videogame inspired by synths called FRACT OSC. It's like Myst meets Rez but inside a giant 8 voice synth - WWW.FRACTGAME.COM

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu May 31, 2018 8:31 pm

phosfiend wrote:I'm either missing something or... mine seems to be inverted, voltage wise?

Switches in the left (-) position are adding voltage (pitch up)
Switches in the right (+) position are subtracting voltage (pitch down)

The three (+) outputs don't seem to do anything, but the (-) output is the only useful output.

Have I done something wrong? Am I mistaken as to how this thing should work? Any help much appreciated!
That's how it should work, at least all except the positive outputs not working? :hmm: The input voltages are all added/subtracted together and then the negative output is an inversion of that result. The negative of a negative is a positive. :tu:

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:36 am

Ahhh... so two wrongs DO make a right!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:50 am

huffnPuff wrote:Ahhh... so two wrongs DO make a right!
:hmm: :hihi: :tu:

phosfiend
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phosfiend » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:10 am

Ah, the output of the (-) does make sense then yes!

Also:
Turns out that if a jumper is installed it disables the panel outputs, as was the case!

All is back to normal, thanks everyone :)
I made a videogame inspired by synths called FRACT OSC. It's like Myst meets Rez but inside a giant 8 voice synth - WWW.FRACTGAME.COM

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:45 am

phosfiend wrote:Turns out that if a jumper is installed it disables the panel outputs, as was the case!

:tu: :party: :yay:

Kept Walking
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kept Walking » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:28 am

phosfiend wrote:Ah, the output of the (-) does make sense then yes!

Also:
Turns out that if a jumper is installed it disables the panel outputs, as was the case!

So after 2 hours of failed attempts to get my precision adders to work, I found this thread. If I am interpreting it correctely the jumper being installed on the back is causing the 3 outputs to do nothing correct? And you are only getting voltage change from the inverted output?

See I have 2 of these precision adders, both were not working correctly for me in any way. Spent better part of an hour with the Mordax Data verifying I was having problems, before wanting to post here.

I ended up removing 1 of the jumpers on only 1 of the precision adders, then ended up seeing voltage change from the 3 outputs, hoorah!

So I then set the patch over onto the other precision adder to replicate what I had done, and it now seems to be working also.....without me removing the jumper.....

I have no clue at this point. I was not able to get + voltages out of the 3 buffered outputs on either module prior, now both are giving me them, only 1 has had the jumper removed. I am truely confused.

Question about tuning them, when the switches are all set to off, i am getting -0.01 out of the output, when all are at + with knob full CW I am getting 4.0 When all are - I am getting -4.03.

I found this post from bassmaster

This is how you calibrate this Doepfer Precision Adder.

Step 1: adjustment of the internal 1V steps
adjust P2 so that the meter reads +1.00V, measured at the center pin of P2

Step 2: adjustment of the amplification
adjust P1 so that at the output appears +4.00V with all switches to "+"
position and Lev.1 control fully CW

I assume I need a multimeter for Step 1 correct, Step 2 could be done via the mordax but I believe step 1 cant be.

I quess to end this, am I correct in my interpretation of how that jumper worked, why are both working now when only 1 was removed. I verified multiple times that outputs were not working on the 1 module they are now working on, which has not had its jumper removed.

Thank you for any help or comments on this, happy to finally have some voltage shifts now want to get it tuned in a bit.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”