A-185-2 Precision Adder Thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Re: A-185-2 Precision Adder Thread

Post by deke » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:18 pm

msboude wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:15 pm
To check your voltages:

First things first. Three is a jumper on the back of this module that connects it to the system bus. Check that before you go looking for issues. So heads up there.

To check the output voltages, make sure nothing is connected to the module. Turn the trim pot all the way clockwise and put all the switches in the middle. Now, take a patch cord and plug it into the + outupt of the module.

Get out your red multi-meter you got there and clip the black clip on the barrel of the patch cord and the red clip on the tip of your patch cord.

With all switches in the middle, it should read 0v. if you flick a single toggle switch to the left it should give you -1 volts. If you flick one to the right, it should be +1 volts. If you flick two to the left, it will read -2v, two to the right should read +2v.. And so on.

It might not be EXACTLY 1 volts a flick, but should be pretty darn close! Hope this makes sense?

Edit for newbs.. your multi-meter needs to be on the DC setting.

No you won't hurt the module.
Wow you made this 100 times simpler than the Doepfer instructions. Thanks!

msboude
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msboude » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:51 am

Not a problem! Happy to help. :guinness:

peterpanderretter
Common Wiggler

Post by peterpanderretter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Is there anything out there which has the same function but (adding precision with switches or buttons) just being more slim?

strawberry
Common Wiggler

Post by strawberry » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:36 pm

I didnt get on with the A-185-2, so i got the VPME T43, similar function 4 hp. Suits me much better. :tu:

Fastus
Better safe than sober

Post by Fastus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:01 am

Seconding the vote for the 'T43' - just a great, accurate module. That being said, the A-185-2 attenuator can be used for very expressive, immediate pitch gestures - smoothly falling away or rising up - which can be musically useful and fun to jam with.
"If fame is a penthouse in Manhattan, you're living in a yurt in Mongolia" - C. Berton Irwin

NEW EP: https://fastus.bandcamp.com/album/terra-incognito
www.soundcloud.com/fastus
www.soundcloud.com/problivion

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:20 am

Fastus wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:01 am
Seconding the vote for the 'T43' - just a great, accurate module. That being said, the A-185-2 attenuator can be used for very expressive, immediate pitch gestures - smoothly falling away or rising up - which can be musically useful and fun to jam with.
That and the buff mult on the Doepfer. I "replaced" mine with the T43 and a buff mult, so no gain in hp. I have both in my case now, but I find myself reaching for the Doepfer more often than the T43.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

strawberry
Common Wiggler

Post by strawberry » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:28 am

So, the surprising conclusion........have both :hyper:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:37 pm

I feel like I should qualify my opinion of the T43 in the name of fairness. I'm not much of a hands-on wiggler, so the extra features it offers aren't a great deal of use (not totally useless, but not game changers either). If you're a player who prefers manual tweaking you'll probably find more to recommend it.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:46 am

cptnal wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:37 pm
I feel like I should qualify my opinion of the T43 in the name of fairness. I'm not much of a hands-on wiggler, so the extra features it offers aren't a great deal of use (not totally useless, but not game changers either). If you're a player who prefers manual tweaking you'll probably find more to recommend it.
That's true. I own both modules and I remember specifically feeling very excited about the T43 design when I was talking about it with Vladimir. I got one before it was released to beta test, so take that into account. I really like the Doepfer and I use both in different cases/contexts and although both are precision adders, they are quite different in their implementation and usability.

The a-185-2 is super nice when you want to add external signals together. So in my case, it's aimed at being able to switch in/out incoming CV controllers, ranging from arpeggiators, sliders, gated LFOs via that attenuator input, to sequencers. It allows me to spread that same voltage to different oscillators, and then mix those to one voice. It also allows me to mess around with the voltages, e.g. switch an incoming arp to a negative value, so that it gets subtracted from the total voltage. Very handy and hands on.

The T43 is smaller and is very performance oriented. Very. It can accommodate three incoming signals and it allows you to switch only one, where the a-185-2 gives you that option for more. Contrary to that, the a-185-2 can only jump octaves without other modules, and only one specific interval, whereas the T-43 is superb for musical context where hands-on transposition can be handy. It's permanently set right before an ASR where I can have my incoming loops jump/transpose either via incoming sequences, incoming controllers, other incoming sequences, or specific intervals via the on-board switches. It's absolutely perfect for that. 3 inputs: your sequence, a manual controller, another sequencer which you can add/turn off/subtract, and a bunch of very hands-on and very clever inverval options that allow you to move a sequence in 3.5 octaves, in as small as semitone steps. All this in just 4hp. Brilliant!

I can't see me parting ways with either.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”