MacBeth X-Series Oscillator [SINGLE]

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

vinayk
Common Wiggler

Post by vinayk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:28 pm

It doesnt have cv output though, which is annoying. I bought my little phatty specifically because it did.

apfEID
electro-vivisection

Post by apfEID » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:10 pm

the little phatty has keyboard cv out?
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://anthonysaunders.bandcamp.com/

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Post by goiks » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:15 pm

apfEID wrote:the little phatty has keyboard cv out?
it is available from the factory with this as an option, or as a mod.

the sub outs are attractive on the macbeth.

kidtesla
sucker for filters

Post by kidtesla » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:31 am

goiks wrote: the sub outs are attractive on the macbeth.
That's what caught my attention as well.
Ken's oscillators are nuthin' if not meaty, I think it'll deliver amazing bass!

Entrainer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Entrainer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:15 am

dougcl wrote:You poor suckers have to sell everything you just bought again. :twisted: :lol:
You go buy your $5500 296e...

I'll download some freeware and let you know
what I got with my $5500.

:twisted: :lol:
5,159 custom drum samples for electronic music
made from 4 modular systems, drum modules, and some nice analog outboard processing

202 Instruments for Ableton Live/Push (128s), NI Kontakt, and Logic EXS24
41 Kits for NI Maschine, FXPansion Geist, Ableton Drum Racks, and Octatrack Sample Chains
http://www.drivenmachinedrums.com

vinayk
Common Wiggler

Post by vinayk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:55 am

macbeth doesnt have a multimode filter in eurorack yet does he?

Ken MacBeth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ken MacBeth » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:20 am

Hi Wigglers- I saw this thread when I logged on! Well- these single X-Series Oscillators are due to ship out to Analogue Haven ASAP. Two things held them back from being there in December- the horrendous weather condition here in the UK caused me two problems- transport out (airports were shut down) and internal deliveries of parts. The modules are all built up- but I am still awaiting connectors and ribbon cable. This should happen this week (so I am told) I wish it were today- but it's now public holidays!! :confused: - the other factor has been the festive season in general. Everything grinds to a halt!
Regarding other modules this size- one or two of you on here have wished for separate filters in the 3U X-Series- no problem- I'm working on that!................just thought I'd let you know- Best wishes to all for great wiggling new year- Ken

PS- the 5U Mk1 Modular that I have been working on is now ready to order- again- I have some you wigglers that have already contacted me and paid for the gear! Exiting times... :hihi:

Rabid
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Rabid » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:26 am

Ken MacBeth wrote:... the horrendous weather condition here in the UK ...
It is not much better on this side of the pond. Snow in the east, floods in the west.
Sometimes I feel like the Red Green of modulars.

nickciontea
brownshoesonly

Post by nickciontea » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:43 am

edit

kidtesla
sucker for filters

Post by kidtesla » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:48 am

Ken MacBeth wrote: Regarding other modules this size- one or two of you on here have wished for separate filters in the 3U X-Series- no problem- I'm working on that!................just thought I'd let you know- Best wishes to all for great wiggling new year- Ken
:tu: great!!.......maybe a 12db variable-state?(the moroco and VCF2 in the M5/N are still favourites of mine :hihi: )
But then again, I could just go 5U and pick up a MK1 filter'B' :lol:

jiblite
fail

Post by jiblite » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 am

Any nice basic meat and potato demos out there?
Last edited by jiblite on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for 500 PB Fastener 3030580 black/grey soft touch knobs

Beware of Lawrence (larrydecable) - proper skam merchant

Thonk Support
aka Monobass

Post by Thonk Support » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:33 am

jiblite wrote:Any nice basic meat and potatoe demos out there?
Even gravy would be fine.
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

AS of October 2020 this account which used to go by the name of Monobass is now manned by various staff at Thonk.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:23 pm

How did this module stand the test of time? I see it still commands a high price over on Reverb. Curious as the argument that it’s less than a third of the price of a Minimoog is not really working any more :party:
WTB:
Malekko/Wiard Oscillator / Anti / Borg (Gargoyles),
Plan B Model 12 / 13 / 15,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel FlipFlop

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Part of the allure of Ken’s stuff is Ken, his approach to building, really old school and he himself is just such a character. His production numbers are extremely low, he makes Cwejman look like Intellijel by comparison. I have owned a bunch of his creations and they all sound spectacular and have some indescribable X Factor. Whether that is worth it to you or not is up to you obviously. Super high build quality, super low production numbers, incredibly creamy fat sound made by a guy who is a completely unique personality.

Not sure that answers the question about whether the module “stands the test of time”, then again I have no idea what the fuck that means....

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Word.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Some years back there was a cool blind test someone constructed of a few 5U oscillators, including the equivalent Macbeth of this series. The sound clips do not appear to be up anymore, and I barely recall the details, but I recall the Macbeth feeling similar but somewhat 'imprecise' compared to the others. This could be said to be imprecise in a nice vintage way, depending on your tastes. Or not, as I recall was the tester's opinion.

viewtopic.php?t=96461&start=all&postday ... torder=asc

The three tested were all close enough that there is no way I personally would pay the $1300 to $2000 people are asking for them on reverb. The the only value I see in that is prestige of ownership. For something closer to their retail price ($700?), maybe it would be an option I could see for some. If you are shopping the inflated prices, an Elements for $5000 would be an amazing alternative. But to me, my favorite Macbeth products are the complete synths he has released.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 am

trickness wrote:Not sure that answers the question about whether the module “stands the test of time”, then again I have no idea what the :guinness: that means....
I was asking because all I could find about these modules on the forum was some 2010ish excitement and not much since other than them going out of print and popping up at the 'verb for 2 grand. Much of that excitement seems to have centered around the fact that it's very Moog-y which perhaps back then was more difficult to achieve than in 2019.
The comparison to Cwejman is an obvious one given initial price point/target audience, and inflated 2nd hand prices. I'm not saying there are enough Cwejman demos out there, but there's virtually nothing on Macbeth.
Perhaps everybody who bought one of the Oscs just never resells, and the 2009 Euro crowd is not the one that makes Youtube demos in 2019 :despair:

I completely understand the appeal of rare modules, especially beautifully built ones. I just wish there was more information out there, and the only option seemed to revive this old thread
Last edited by B0bcat on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
WTB:
Malekko/Wiard Oscillator / Anti / Borg (Gargoyles),
Plan B Model 12 / 13 / 15,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel FlipFlop

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 am

I've owned some Macbeth stuff - I'd say the single oscillator isn't worth 500 let alone 2k. It's just a vco and there's so many to choose from now. Why reverb sellers waste their time listing for these kind of prices I dont know - I'm sure it wouldn't sell for much more than the retail price

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:55 am

it seems that Macbeth works on a mk2 series of his eurorack stuff. There are some posts on his FB that seem to indicate that.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”