My first DIY VCOs

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dylski
Learning to Wiggle

My first DIY VCOs

Post by dylski » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 pm

My first three DIY VCOs!
3_vcos.jpg
3_vcos.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 250 times
They use Electrosmith VCO submodules on stripboard largely following the design post on Reddit.
There's a dump of the photos of the build (e.g. stripboard, faceplate layout and wiring) at http://www.2ne1.com/modular/submodule_vco_build/ if they are of any help to anyone.

Feels like I cheated a bit as no other electronic components are required but I'm using them to ease into DIY before I tackle some more involved circuits. On the other hand, I learnt a lot about wiring, soldering and drilling aluminium as I progressed through the three modules ;)

I am now also beginning to see the benefits of soldering controls directly onto the stripboard or PCB; although, that's only really an option if you have a well aligned faceplate, right? Which I most definitely can't ensure with my hand drill!

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Re: My first DIY VCOs

Post by closedLoop » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:44 pm

dylski wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 pm
My first three DIY VCOs!
Interesting.

I was just looking at the Electrosmith 3340 submodule wondering whether I could pack it all down into a 4hp faceplate.

dylski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dylski » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:30 pm

That would be impressive to see. I was originally planning on 6hp (you can see a bit of the paper layout in one of the photos) but didn't feel confident enough to pull it off without ending up with a couple of controls clashing or not being able to get access to all the terminals to solder.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:37 pm

dylski wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:30 pm
That would be impressive to see. I was originally planning on 6hp (you can see a bit of the paper layout in one of the photos) but didn't feel confident enough to pull it off without ending up with a couple of controls clashing or not being able to get access to all the terminals to solder.
Yeah, it would definitely have to be the smallest pots out there to get close to 4hp.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 pm

Post them here! - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=225513
They look great!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

dylski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dylski » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:38 am

closedLoop wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:37 pm
dylski wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:30 pm
Yeah, it would definitely have to be the smallest pots out there to get close to 4hp.
On retrospect, the stripboard is pretty much redundant and all the wires could be soldered directly to the submodule or at least some header pins taking up a lot less space.
Post them here! - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=225513
They look great!
Thanks, will do!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”