What to buy next as a beginner...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

suyckerbuyck
Learning to Wiggle

What to buy next as a beginner...

Post by suyckerbuyck » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:49 am

I just recently got into synths / eurorack. I started in june with a Behringer Crave, which I really like to learn the basics.
A few weeks ago I expanded to a Behringer Eurorack Rack and a Behringer 112 Dual VCO. Next came the Doepfer A-124 VCF Wasp Filter.
I don't want to spend too much money in the beginning...
Now I'm thinking about buying a VCA or is there something else I should consider first? :help:

edgar67
Learning to Wiggle

Re: What to buy next as a beginner...

Post by edgar67 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:04 am

I think a VCA would be an excellent choice for your next module. I took a similar route when I began. A VCO, LFO, filter and an attenuator (for a mixer.) I used a Korg sq-1 to sequence and just played with that for a while. My next purchase was a VCA and an envelope. Without a vca and a modulator (envelope, LFO, etc.) the sound coming from your VCO or filter is just coming out without any control. Think of a hose without a nozzle. The water will get things wet but it just keeps coming out. The nozzle allows you to stream it, spray it, send it out in short bursts, let it out full blast or make it trickle without killing the strawberries. A VCA will help you control the flow of sound and/or voltages coming from and going to other modules. I think a VCA (and then an envelope) would be an excellent choice but I am curious what others might recommend.
Last edited by edgar67 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:05 am

With a vca, you’ve essentially built a whole second voice. Can’t go wrong with that. I’d do an envelope generator at the same time if you can swing it.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:09 am

some ideas

a quad cascading vca would be a good investment - they can also be used as mixers and overdrive/audio inputs (check that max gain is above 1 though) - I like mutable veils for this - a rule I try to follow for mixers/vcas/audio interfaces - always get more channels than you think you need - you will need them sooner or later!

another modulation source - Maths is a really good complex dual modulation source/envelope generator and incredibly useful - basically an analog patch programmable computer swiss army knife - see the illustrated manual for patch ideas - a microcosm of modular in a single module

mutable kinks - alter your modulation

AI Synthesis matrix mixer - mix different modulation sources together in interesting way

Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 or EX - a digital swiss army knife module - constantly being updated - 80+ algorithms 1 or 2 at a time - will show the way of which modules to buy - if you always use your disting as a vca - buy a vca

some of these modules may be a bit more than you were thinking of spending, but they will work out quite economical in the long run
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

suyckerbuyck
Learning to Wiggle

Post by suyckerbuyck » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:13 am

And is sticking with Behringer a good idea? I'm thinking this vca or are there better alternatives to start with? I'm also considering Tallin from Xaoc.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:43 am

there is no reason to stick to behringer - that is one of the advantages of modular

again re-emphasize get a quad cascading vca
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:19 am

Consider buying as many vca's as you can get. The more the merrier. Dual is ok, quad is good and 6+ is another level. Have a look at this http://www.doepfer.de/a1352.htm

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:52 pm

revtor wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:05 am
With a vca, you’ve essentially built a whole second voice. Can’t go wrong with that. I’d do an envelope generator at the same time if you can swing it.
Maybe something like a Iron Curtain/Harvestman Polivoks VCA/ADSR or WMD Javelin. There are likely a few other combined units.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Keep it simple. There's *a lot* you can do with two VCOs, an LFO, an envelope, and a couple of VCAs. I also highly recommend getting some attenuation -- the attenumixer from Zlob is killer for the price and can handle mixing as well. But point being, you can learn from any gear, but learning to make the basics work for you will help you on your journey in some big ways.

EDIT: If you're looking for what's cheap and good for the money, check out Noise Reap, Mazzatron, York Modular, and Takaab.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:50 am

Get a tangle quartet, great quad vca in 8hp

Maths for many reasons is also one of the greatest purchases you can make. It will round out your setup for sure

I’m also a big fan of pamelas new workout. It makes a great clock source but can also send v/oct to your oscillators which makes for fun melodies, but can also send random waveforms which can be fun for unique cv possibilities

These are great starter modules, but you’ll find the more you use them the more indespendable they become

suyckerbuyck
Learning to Wiggle

Post by suyckerbuyck » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:28 am

Thanks for the tips! I'll looking into a quad cascading vca for sure like the Tangle Quartet. Expert Sleepers Disting MK4 IS also on my list, but it's sold out most places...

vadimred13
Common Wiggler

Post by vadimred13 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:44 am

Agawell wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:09 am
Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 or EX - a digital swiss army knife module - constantly being updated - 80+ algorithms 1 or 2 at a time - will show the way of which modules to buy - if you always use your disting as a vca - buy a vca
I've never thought about it this way, but that is a great way of looking at it!

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:25 am

suyckerbuyck wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:28 am
Thanks for the tips! I'll looking into a quad cascading vca for sure like the Tangle Quartet. Expert Sleepers Disting MK4 IS also on my list, but it's sold out most places...
Tangle quartet would not be either my first or second choice - veils or intellijel - read the specs - both the ones I mention amplify - which means they can double as external inputs and provide saturation - tangle quartet appears to be a vc attenuator

it is kind of normal that modules are sometimes difficult to get hold of - small companies etc - but it is a bit worse at the moment - patience is sometimes (often) necessary when acquiring modules
Instagram

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:28 am

vadimred13 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:44 am
Agawell wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:09 am
I've never thought about it this way, but that is a great way of looking at it!
and once you have the 3 or 4 modules that replace your most commonly used algos, it's still there as an emergency extra for the other things too - maybe your buddy brings round his buchla, for instance - or in the case of the ex, a nice sampler player, with a decent sample library pre-installed (spitfire)
Instagram

Return to “Eurorack Modules”