3 modules to expand my Matriarch

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

3 modules to expand my Matriarch

Post by Electro Something » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:16 pm

After years of tweaking patches, I got a Matriarch a few months back been actually learning synthesis (Syntorial is a god send).

Ready to dip my toe in eurorack and looking for advice on 2-3 modules to start with to expand my Matriarch.

I do dreamy electropop stuff so I think a little FX box would fit the bill. I’m looking for advice on modules that most importantly fun and sound amazing. And I’m kinda leaning towards a module that does one thing awesomely, versus a jack of all trades.

Real-time Granular - The Insuro Ahrbar looks to be the pinnacle of real-time grandular? Can the Supercell top it and do so much more?

Mantis case - Good value for money?

Reverb - Get a dedicated spring reverb? Or maybe a Magneto that does so much more? Erica Black Hole? But do I really need more delays?

Wavefolder and Drive - Sounded amazing on Loopop’s Matriarch expansion video.

Rhythmic something - Like a Rainmaker? Marbles? Bloom? Something to make some rhythmic envelopes? Something to give me melody ideas? Advanced sequencer?

What else should I consider? Thank you in advance!

rhflame
Common Wiggler

Re: 3 modules to expand my Matriarch

Post by rhflame » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:28 pm

The Matriarch has an awesome delay. Mutable instruments modules are amazing but very jack of all trades or better put multiple modes. I'm having a lot of fun with marbles taking care of drum patterns and some modulation duties. I think a morphagene or arbhar would be a great addition to the Matriarch. I think a Pam's new workout is probably the place to start if I were at the beginning of my dive into eurorack.

The mantis is great but could potentially not have enough room for deeper modules. I think that's somewhat rare but something to consider.

12eightyfive
Common Wiggler

Post by 12eightyfive » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:01 am

Maybe start with a Disting (the EX will give you two in one) and a 4ms POD for a case. The Disting can do the reverb, drive, sequencing, likely not as well as the dedicated modules but enough to show if a dedicated module would be interesting. Bonus is that it has the polyphonic sampling mode, which would be a cool second synth.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:07 am

Tempi and Maths

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 am

there are in reality very few modules that won't fit in a mantis - especially more modern ones

the things I would look at would be modulation and utility - all the modules you have suggested are great, but they will be massively improved by modulation and utility
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:06 pm

rhflame wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:28 pm
I think a Pam's new workout is probably the place to start if I were at the beginning of my dive into eurorack.
Cheers for your thoughts! Everyone seems to love Pam's. I thought it was just a clock to sync up all your modules, but apparently it does much much more. I'll do some research.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:08 pm

12eightyfive wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:01 am
Maybe start with a Disting (the EX will give you two in one) and a 4ms POD for a case. The Disting can do the reverb, drive, sequencing, likely not as well as the dedicated modules but enough to show if a dedicated module would be interesting. Bonus is that it has the polyphonic sampling mode, which would be a cool second synth.
That's a great idea to get something that does everything, then see which modes I like the most, and get specialized modules for my favorites.

Thanks!

rhflame
Common Wiggler

Post by rhflame » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:10 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:06 pm
rhflame wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:28 pm
I think a Pam's new workout is probably the place to start if I were at the beginning of my dive into eurorack.
Cheers for your thoughts! Everyone seems to love Pam's. I thought it was just a clock to sync up all your modules, but apparently it does much much more. I'll do some research.
Yeah it's a really flexible modulation source as well. With euclidean patterns built in. I think some quantizing features were added in a new firmware update. But I haven't tried it out yet

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Agawell wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 am
the things I would look at would be modulation and utility - all the modules you have suggested are great, but they will be massively improved by modulation and utility
These modulation and utility modules seem so boring and unsexy, but so crucial. I need to learn more for sure. What's the one module you think I should start off with?

Thanks!!

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:42 pm

2-3 is pretty tough to accomplish a lot in, I'd say you can either get a couple multi-function modules that do a lot but are pretty limited compared to more dedicated options, or the dedicated options with cool extras/capabilities you generally do not commonly find in hardwired synths that would open up a lot to the Matriarch.

For sound sources, I think it's pretty arbitrary if you'd actually-need any because it's already got 4 oscs - so, if you wanted a new sound source I'd think something digital like an E352 would bring more complex tones, but also in doing so could take away from its Matriarch-ness as well, so it's up to you.

There are a number of wavefolders out there so it's hard to pick just one. I mean I use a VSL AWM-3 but the thing is discontinued now (still available I believe) and really opens up more in a system with a ton of modulation ready for it, which a Matriach would not be able to take advantage of. So, maybe one of the simpler/more compact folders, of which there are many options like the Bifold or Chopping Kinky etc. Wavefolding a complex tone can also be a bit of a dangerous game as it is possible to over-fold something and it just disintegrates into noise. Which granted is interesting in its own way but the more complex/iterated folders generally behave best starting with a single sine, or something close-ish to one.

So then, maybe some other options are there in a Matriarch but lacking or inadequate to a mid or large size modular. For example I think Matriach has literally just one LFO/modulator section. Something like the Xaoc Zadar would give a lot of new types of envelopes on-tap and suddenly give it a lot of modulation possibilities that are going to be hard or impossible to do with a standalone Matriarch. Mutable Stages or one of the more traditional function generators like Maths or Rampage may also be useful there for similar reasons of just more modulation options, particularly Maths having attenuverters on it, of which I think Matriarch only has one. Ornament & Crime is a digital multi-funcntion module that can do an absolute ton of things including LFOs, envelopes, various types of quantizing/random etc and would be a great power boost to a Matriarch, only it is definitely a menu-y experience so that's up to you to want to handle or not.

The Matriarch has an excellent filter in it already so I don't think that's a high priority (more like only if you just felt like wanting a different flavor altogether as an option, such as IME Bionic Lester mk3), but it does not have a filter bank in it, which can both be a kind of equalizer and also impart interesting sonic characteristics in some types; I highly recommend the Serge Resonant EQ as it has feedback modes which can really add interesting character to a sound and can give you a lot more control over what you're getting depending whether it's used before or after the filter. There are also filter banks with custom control over the individual bands (Frap Tools Fumana for example) but these tend to be much more expensive and again, work best with a lot of modulation on-tap to make use of their extra capabilities.

For effects, there are a lot of good options but I think a particularly modular-y choice would be Erbe Verbe or Rainmaker - which are both expensive and quirky modules, and Rainmaker is so deep it' can quickly become confusing. But, they're good. Really good. These also really come into their own under heavy modulation so something with just a ton of LFOs coming out like a Divkid Ochd or Mutable Stages or Xaoc Batumi would be fruitful. Same goes for Mutable Rings, which is a rather magical-sounding module but has a distinct fingerprint so you'd have to decide if you want broad range or one really cool effect there. However it seems people tend to hear Rings and just go buy it because it's so awesome, so that may happen once again here and there's nothing wrong with that. To boot, Rings can also be a complete sound source on its own, but is IMO more interesting as an effect to process sound through.
Last edited by nios on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 pm

funny how newbies often think that about modulation and utility modules - I always see modulars without enough modulation and utilities as boring and unsexy

one module to start to complement a Matriarch - Maths and there is a great illustrated manual available online to help you work out how to patch program it to use as any of 32 different functions
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:18 pm

nios wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:42 pm
2-3 is pretty tough to accomplish a lot in
Thanks for all your thoughts! Super helpful. Yeah I figured I'm all set for oscillators, filters, and BBD delay for the time-being. I'm going to dive in to all the modules you mentioned.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Agawell wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 pm
funny how newbies often think that about modulation and utility modules - I always see modulars without enough modulation and utilities as boring and unsexy

one module to start to complement a Matriarch - Maths and there is a great illustrated manual available online to help you work out how to patch program it to use as any of 32 different functions
Heh, well I've learned a LOT in this short thread. Starting to realize what all the fuss about is for Maths.

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

Post by MuadMusic » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Clouds is a great module. Granular, Delay, Reverb. Worth the money. Still available new with some aftermarket folks for < $200.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:03 pm

MuadMusic wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:12 pm
Clouds is a great module. Granular, Delay, Reverb. Worth the money. Still available new with some aftermarket folks for < $200.
Clouds sounds amazing and is half the reason I wanna make the eurorack leap. But I've heard some people say that Supercell/Microcell does everything Clouds can do and more?

1960strat
Common Wiggler

Post by 1960strat » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:23 pm

I think Just Friends and Batumi or Zadar would be awesome with the matriarch

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:28 pm

Beware - a Matriarch was my intro into modular land...and thousands of dollars later I’m selling the matriarch to fund the euro addiction lol.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:24 am

jkanizzle wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:28 pm
Beware - a Matriarch was my intro into modular land...and thousands of dollars later I’m selling the matriarch to fund the euro addiction lol.
Hahhaaaa. BRING IT!!

So if you had to do it all over again, what’s the first 5 modules you’d buy for your Matriarch?

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:40 am

Maths+Tempi/Pam+Zadar+Morhagene and/or Clouds ☁️ as a MM expander will make you busy for years.

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:42 am

Maths
Clouds
TINRS Wobbler
Erbe Verb
Another filter...I’m partial to the Qpas, but also really dig the Erica fusion VCF. Honestly one of the reasons I moved on from the matriarch was I didn’t vibe with the filter. I have several other moog products and am totally a fanboy, yet the duel filter on the matriarch just didn’t have the bite for me. The best filter they’ve ever made, imho, is on the Minitaur.

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

Post by MuadMusic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:21 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Clouds sounds amazing and is half the reason I wanna make the eurorack leap. But I've heard some people say that Supercell/Microcell does everything Clouds can do and more?
Correct. Those are the after market units I recommend, since MI no longer sells clouds.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:41 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:24 am
jkanizzle wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:28 pm
Hahhaaaa. BRING IT!!

So if you had to do it all over again, what’s the first 5 modules you’d buy for your Matriarch?
Starts by asking for three, now it's five. Welcome to Eurorack! :party:

For my part (I don't own a Matriarch, but I've seen the vids) it sounds such a lush instrument that I'd be loathe to muddy the audio chain with another filter or effects. So I'd be looking for the boring stuff too - clock dividers, sample and holds, crossfaders, VCAs, switches...
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:42 pm

MATHS

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Cool cool, thanks for everyone's feedback, super helpful. Starting to get a better of idea where to start. And now I know not to ignore modulation and utilities.

So far I'm thinking:

Make Noise Maths - Because apparently I'm an idiot not to.
Xaoc Zadar - Creative envelopes sound fun as hell.
Instruo Arbhar - Demos of this give me shivers and I need it. (or can Supercell / Clouds give me my granular fix and so much more?)
Make Noise Erbe Verbe - Need the best reverb possible.
Qu-Bit Bloom - A melody maker sounds awesome (or Marbles?)

Think this is a good place to start with my Matriarch?

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:06 pm

cptnal wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:41 pm

Starts by asking for three, now it's five. Welcome to Eurorack! :party:
Hahahaa, well I haven't had an expensive & addictive hobby since my rave days in the 90's. So it's about time. :sb:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”