[SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

[SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:18 pm

TOPIC IS SPLIT FROM Mutable Instruments Stages topic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I compiled a modified firmware for Stages that let me enter and exit the "ouroboros" mode (the harmonic oscillator easter egg) at runtime, while the module is powered on, by long-pressing any button for 5 seconds.

You can download the firmware here and load it following the official firmware update procedure.

Please beware! I only tested it with a single non-chained module, and without chaining the module itself. I'm quite sure it will behave very strange if chained. Obviously I'm not responsible for any issue you might encounter.

For those interested in the code changes I made, here they are. Any fix or improvement is welcome.
Last edited by joeSeggiola on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:45 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:I compiled a modified firmware for Stages that let me enter and exit the "ouroboros" mode (the harmonic oscillator easter egg) at runtime, while the module is powered on, by long-pressing any button for 5 seconds.

You can download the firmware here and load it following the official firmware update procedure.

Please beware! I only tested it with a single non-chained module, and without chaining the module itself. I'm quite sure it will behave very strange if chained. Obviously I'm not responsible for any issue you might encounter.

For those interested in the code changes I made, here they are. Any fix or improvement is welcome.
Nice - I’ve done similar but not yet for chained modules - but have been adding that.... the pain is the overhead on communicating right and left - not sure it it’s significant but can only test with two modules.... I’m just concerned what happens with 6.... as I cant test that...

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:58 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:I compiled a modified firmware for Stages that let me enter and exit the "ouroboros" mode (the harmonic oscillator easter egg) at runtime, while the module is powered on, by long-pressing any button for 5 seconds.

The wav is offline. Can I download it anywhere?
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 pm

just clicked the link and it worked...try again.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:50 am

hawkfuzz wrote:just clicked the link and it worked...try again.
Yes its working again thanks! Weird, yesterday all I got was a 404.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:01 am

Wow the harmonic oscillator mode is insanely good!

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:57 am

Anybody tested it? Does it work without any bugs?

Any risk to brick the module?

Thanks!

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Loaded it recently on my Stages--works fine--haven't noticed any bugs or problems.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Loaded it recently on my Stages--works fine--haven't noticed any bugs or problems.
Do you have a single Stages or linked multiple units?

Thanks
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:53 pm

a100user wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Loaded it recently on my Stages--works fine--haven't noticed any bugs or problems.

Thanks
I have one Stages.

Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler

Post by Virusinstaller » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:10 pm

I had a listen to a friends stages with the harmonic oscillator and it sounds superb!

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:02 am

Hovercraft wrote:
a100user wrote:

Thanks
I have one Stages.
Thanks
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:28 am

CaptainRockout wrote:
Videographics wrote:Did the last few posters miss the posts about the alternate firmware that switches with a long button press?
I absolutely did miss them. Saw everyone talking about a switch expander and my first thought was "why not edit the firmware?" A shame it won't work for two Stages that are chained together as that is my situation too. Emilie recently posted this great diagram on the Mutable forum for a configuration using a DPDT switch: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... g/14853/13
I’ve got a firmware hack working (tested) with two Stages. My concern is if it’ll scale to six....

CaptainRockout
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainRockout » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:36 am

forestcaver wrote:I’ve got a firmware hack working (tested) with two Stages. My concern is if it’ll scale to six....
Awesome! I think two will be good enough for a lot of people, but more would certainly be awesome. I'm thinking of trying my hand at an expander as it would be a fun little project that a DIY newbie like me could handle.

moncks_crossing
Common Wiggler

Post by moncks_crossing » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Here, with her permission, is the diagram from pichenettes:
(But a firmware hack would be cool.)

forrest
Common Wiggler

Post by forrest » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:42 am

Catchthehare wrote:Finally tried Stages as a sequencer. Voices are from Plaits, mangrove and Xaoc begrad.

[video][/video]
Beautiful patch, really like how marbles plays with stages. Is your Digitakt doing anything here?

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:40 am

forrest wrote:
Catchthehare wrote:Finally tried Stages as a sequencer. Voices are from Plaits, mangrove and Xaoc begrad.

[video][/video]
Beautiful patch, really like how marbles plays with stages. Is your Digitakt doing anything here?
Thanks for that! Digitakt is only the master clock in this clip.. I have it as my default clock to Pam's, and this way I can always throw in some extra voices / sequences when needed.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun May 26, 2019 1:20 am

Just got a second case that I plan to use on it's own, in a different part of my living accommodations from my other case. This time I'm also challenging myself to pick modules that I was interested by for my first case but back then decided against because they seem to complicated or far off my usual, simple way of working. Stages is one of those modules.

As always I start small and force myself to make music with what I got before I'm allowed to buy more modules. This is my starting lineup:

For the first couple of patches I've been using Stages in the harmonic oscillator mode. When I feel a bit more confident with this setup I'll switch it to the normal mode and hope that I get into the open world principles of it.

It normally takes me 6-12 months from recording a patch to actually transform it to a full track and release it so I made a short video just to show how I'm using the this setup.

[video][/video]
Last edited by lisa on Sun May 26, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:36 am

lisa wrote: ...It normally takes me 6-12 months from recording a patch to actually transform it to a full track and release it so I made a short video just to show how I'm using the this setup.

[video][/video]
... what a neat video .... you are one trippy chick Lisa. :tu:

:hail: :hihi:
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun May 26, 2019 11:25 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote: ... what a neat video .... you are one trippy chick Lisa. :tu:
Thanks! I try to do something each time, even if the ambition level is rather low. :party:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Tue May 28, 2019 5:00 am

lisa, a second Stages setup as 6 LFOs could replace those two LFO modules and offer more versatility. (Maybe setup one as a HO and the other normal?) Alternatively, it looks like function generator could be useful. (Room for Rampage?)

snm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snm » Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 pm

Any alternative firmware for this yet?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue May 28, 2019 9:50 pm

snm wrote:Any alternative firmware for this yet?
This is one of the strangest modules to ask that about IMHO; it's already super flexible and can do more than one might expect.

But yes, there's a version that lowers the LFO cycle rate, a version that lets you toggle it into harmonic oscillator mode and back, and a version that combines both.

snm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snm » Tue May 28, 2019 9:53 pm

starthief wrote:
This is one of the strangest modules to ask that about IMHO; it's already super flexible and can do more than one might expect.

But yes, there's a version that lowers the LFO cycle rate, a version that lets you toggle it into harmonic oscillator mode and back, and a version that combines both.
I thought someone might be keen to get some of the Batumi features on this thing.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:37 pm

snm wrote:
starthief wrote:

I thought someone might be keen to get some of the Batumi features on this thing.
If a version made the LFOs bipolar without having to use CV, that would be great!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”