Stock or Hemisphere Suite for my New Ornament and Crime Module?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

silver_linings
Learning to Wiggle

Stock or Hemisphere Suite for my New Ornament and Crime Module?

Post by silver_linings » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:04 pm

HI,

I have been offered a new Ornament and Crime module and have been asked which firmware I would prefer. Being a Newby I'm finding hard to see clearly the advantages of one over the other. I'm just beginning to explore Ambient and Generative composition and would welcome other more experienced composers' advice on which way to go with the firmware. Any help or advice you could offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Mike

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Stock or Hemisphere Suite for my New Ornament and Crime Module?

Post by exper » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Hemispheres is MUCH more immediate if that matters. There's more complex stuff in the stock firmware, but I found I never wanted to use them...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:12 pm

Logarhythm Branch is the best imo..

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:14 pm

silver_linings wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:04 pm
I have been offered a new Ornament and Crime module and have been asked which firmware I would prefer. Being a Newby I'm finding hard to see clearly the advantages of one over the other. I'm just beginning to explore Ambient and Generative composition and would welcome other more experienced composers' advice on which way to go with the firmware. Any help or advice you could offer would be much appreciated!
They can't be compared like that. Neither is objectively best. You'll have to check out what each can do. There are manuals and videos. :goo:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Super easy to swap. Try both.

Mark_Lewis
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark_Lewis » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:23 pm

I’ve only used Hemisphere and it’s kept me busy. I love the double tap feature that brings up the Trig/CV/Outs it’s very helpful when exploring functions of applets on the fly.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:52 pm

IMO, hemisphere (the Logarhythm branch looks great too, but I haven't tried it yet.). Having tons of simple and immediate utilities that you can use 2 at a time is far more useful than any of the apps on the stock firmware. I think the stock is really only worth it if you're really attached to one of the apps - tons of people swear by quantermain. It's trivial to switch though so do whatever.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:58 pm

If this is your 2nd-10th module, Hemisphere. If this is your umpeenth module, stock.

The Hemisphere turns the module in to a modular toolbox. Stock has some beautiful and complex utilities but I usually find that I don’t need 4 channels of them and there were some I am likely never to use. Once I installed Hemisphere I instantly regretted not doing it sooner. Ultimately, I will keep Hemisphere in my uO_C and will buy an OCP kit for stock in the future.

Datum
Common Wiggler

Post by Datum » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:20 pm

+1 for Hemispheres, especially if you're newish to eurorack.

It is much more easier to wrap your head around than the stock firmware. Having 2 separate functions at once really turns it into a modulation Swiss army knife. Plus the double-tap feature explains each utility to you without having to grab the manual.

With the original firmware I found I was having to check the manual all the time if I was using an app I hadn't used recently. Its apps tend to have a bit more of an esoteric focus whereas Hemispheres focuses on utility.

silver_linings
Learning to Wiggle

Post by silver_linings » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:04 pm

Thank you all for your kind recommendations. I'm following up with the builder now.

Mike

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:51 pm

I have 2 uO_Cs, one is running the stock firmware but I basically only ever use its piqued app for having 4 flexible envelopes. The other one runs the Logarhythm branch of Hemisphere and I use various of its applets all the time. Super easy to use, a real Swiss army knife. Saved me from spending money on other utility modules often.

stoiker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stoiker » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:31 pm

I build an OCP a few months ago with the stock firmware. I always wanted to try Hemisphere but I didn't even check out half the stock apps yet. I do like the ASR, quad evnelopes and quadrature LFO apps so far.

Skelecaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:47 pm

boom blip wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:20 pm
How do you swap? I googled it and it seems like you have to compile some code and remove the module from the rack?

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:50 pm

I tried hemisphere but didn't like it. IMO the apps in the stock firmware are better thought through and have a much better user experience.

Also, even though you can run only one app at a time many of the apps can serve multiple purposes at once - e.g. Quantermain can be quantizer, turing machine and sample and hold. Piqued can be LFO, envelope generator and euclidean sequencer.

I have two and run the stock firmware on both.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Batumi, Samara

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 pm

Deleted double post - phone playing up!
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Batumi, Samara

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:03 pm

unpopular opinion, STOCK
I like the insanely complex things it can do. Hemispheres might be immediate but then tis like a Disting for very simple things.
If I had a 2nd one though I'd love to have that with Hemispheres
muleskinner wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:50 pm
I tried hemisphere but didn't like it. IMO the apps in the stock firmware are better thought through and have a much better user experience.

Also, even though you can run only one app at a time many of the apps can serve multiple purposes at once - e.g. Quantermain can be quantizer, turing machine and sample and hold. Piqued can be LFO, envelope generator and euclidean sequencer.

I have two and run the stock firmware on both.
exactly

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:47 pm
boom blip wrote:
How do you swap? I googled it and it seems like you have to compile some code and remove the module from the rack?
https://ornament-and-cri.me/firmware/

TVNoel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TVNoel » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:42 pm

I've been using O_C for about 3 weeks now. Started out with Hemisphere as it seemed easier to understand. I loved Carpeggio but found too many of the other apps a bit fiddly considering a lot of them offer quite basic functions. I'm now having a lot more fun with the stock firmware - it seems to encourage a weirdness that is still musical, which is what I'm looking for.

This, for instance, is a simple sequence running on Harrington 1200:

Starting to get to grips with Quadraturia which seems insanely powerful, once I can fully understand it!

Skelecaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:14 pm

boom blip wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:16 pm
Skelecaster wrote:
boom blip wrote:
Oh wow, for anyone else as intimidated by the idea of flashing firmware as I was, I just did it three times, upgrading to the latest Hemisphere, then to stock, them back to Hemisphere, it’s foolproof and there’s nothing to be intimidated by. I wouldn’t want to do it every day because it involves removing the module from the rack and powering it up while it’s lying on your desk plugged into a USB cable, but it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:42 pm

After trying both, I said to myself, what an awful decision this is to have to make.
I have two o_C's now running each.

l1fef0rm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by l1fef0rm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:14 pm
boom blip wrote:
Skelecaster wrote:
boom blip wrote:
Oh wow, for anyone else as intimidated by the idea of flashing firmware as I was, I just did it three times, upgrading to the latest Hemisphere, then to stock, them back to Hemisphere, it’s foolproof and there’s nothing to be intimidated by. I wouldn’t want to do it every day because it involves removing the module from the rack and powering it up while it’s lying on your desk plugged into a USB cable, but it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.
What if... you were to stick a little usb hub in your case, make sure all modules with ports are in said case, connect modules to hub, then line the main out of your case to pc. Just plug it in to pc when you want to make changes. This would work, no? I don't plan to ever do this, its just a thought.

Skelecaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skelecaster » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 am

l1fef0rm wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:27 pm
Skelecaster wrote:
boom blip wrote:
Skelecaster wrote:
boom blip wrote:
What if... you were to stick a little usb hub in your case, make sure all modules with ports are in said case, connect modules to hub, then line the main out of your case to pc. Just plug it in to pc when you want to make changes. This would work, no? I don't plan to ever do this, its just a thought.
You have to press a button on the back of the O_C that seems to disable the display and turn on the USB port, so without access to that button you wouldn't be able to flash the firmware. Otherwise I would have considered leaving the USB cable connected and maybe added an access port to the back of my rack.

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am

Stock has the lowrentz app, which is so good for ambient. I also really like Quantermain and Sequins. Oh, also the bytebeats app is really cool and isn’t in Hemisphere. O&C stock firmware has a bit of an academic feel to it, but it’s kinda part of the charm.

l1fef0rm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by l1fef0rm » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 am
l1fef0rm wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:27 pm
Skelecaster wrote:
boom blip wrote:
Skelecaster wrote:
boom blip wrote:
You have to press a button on the back of the O_C that seems to disable the display and turn on the USB port, so without access to that button you wouldn't be able to flash the firmware. Otherwise I would have considered leaving the USB cable connected and maybe added an access port to the back of my rack.
I'm having silly thoughts about a button pushing contraption now. Thanks!

Shakespeare
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Shakespeare » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:44 pm

I just picked up O_C myself, and started with the stock firmware... though as has been said, it's super easy to switch back and forth between firmware versions. First patch with Quantermain mode below... love this thing! Between this and Disting, though, I might need to finally cave and pick up that Modes iPhone app...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”