Help figuring out the 4U Palette puzzle

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

henrycarden
Learning to Wiggle

Help figuring out the 4U Palette puzzle

Post by henrycarden » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:12 am

Looking to "optimize" my current setup below. I am using this setup as a (multitimbral) monosynth in conjunction with an Octatrack. The Octatrack and a Memory Man cover my fx, as does Ableton for final mixing/post processing.

I think 8hp for midi to cv is a waste of space for my setup. I'd like to get rid of the Mutant Brain and get a CV.OCD to link the Octatrack with the Pams. I know both midi to cvs are essentially the same and have not had an issue yet running smooth midi clock from the Octatrack with the Pams, so I am hoping for the same results with the CV.OCD. I would like to replace the Disting for a small utility module like the Kinks where I can use more than one utility at once and add another analog VCO to use alongside the Dixie II+. Finally, I would like to upgrade from the UVCF to a more versatile filter such as Three Sisters.

I was hoping to get some feedback on this setup, perhaps there is something I am not considering about my current setup or about other modules that could be better options for the new setup. For instance, I am intrigued by Three Sisters, but am not set on it, as with the TS-L. I wouldn't mind going the Dixie/STO route with an 8hp filter, but am starting to become overwhelmed by the module options out there. Anyways, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Help figuring out the 4U Palette puzzle

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:23 pm

Do you really need 6 VCAs in a system that small? You could replace the DVCA and the octave shifter with a 1u O_C running hemisphere and get a boatload of utilities (though they're CV oriented, whereas kinks/disting is good for audio too). Disting, uvcf, and mutant brain are 20 hp so if you swapped the tangle quartet for a 3xVCA you'd have 22 hp for a crazy analogue VCO like generate 3 and a 10 hp filter like 3 sisters or polaris :despair:. But theory crafting an "optimal" setup isn't very useful without knowing what you're actually dissatisfied with in your current setup.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:40 pm

I'd also ask this question - will you be using this Palette strictly with the Octatrack? Or is standalone operation also desired?

If it's the former, then you could probably lose the Pam's and put the Mutant Brain back in, or pick the CV.OCD and reclaim that space for something else.

Other than that, what are your other problems with the first version as is?

henrycarden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by henrycarden » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.

I should have been more clear about my intentions. I use this Palette strictly with the Octatrack, and am enjoying the workflow right now, but sometimes wish I had another analog VCO (as a voice or to modulate the Dixie) so that I could use the Disting for utilities. I started to question whether it would be more useful to swap the Mutant Brain for the CV.OCD to free up 8hp of space.

This kind of sent me down a spiral where I thought well If I'm going to switch one module, let me get a better filter, etc.

I use the tangle quartet for Tides' 4 outputs in chord mode and the other 2 vcas for the dixie or other cv mixing. I don't use all 6 all the time, but I have been using most most of the time. I use Pams as a quantizer (in addition to playing or sequencing notes via octatrack) and as a modulation/gate source.

I guess the other option is to stick with the original setup, as I'm starting to realize if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”