Sequencers with ramp control

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Sequencers with ramp control

Post by Spindrift » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:48 pm

Been mostly doing sequencing in DAW or with a DSP system (Sonic-Core Scope with Flexor).
Flexor sequencers use a ramp input to control the step, which seems very practical.
The typical clock, reset, start, stop, reverse just seems very complicated to manage in comparison. Especially when working with a DAW where you can edit and send ramps easily.

Timing, at least in Flexor, is perfect, and I get all the control I need from one CV channel.

So I'm looking for a simple control sequencer which can be controlled the same way. preferably which uses the space for knobs instead of lots of useless inputs since I would like to just drive it with a ramp from my DAW.

RYO VC Sequencer seems very good match, but unavailable and could also imagine something bigger with more rows of knobs.

Or anyone has experience driving sequencers with ramps and think clock is preferable for some reason other than interfacing with other clock based modules?

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Re: Sequencers with ramp control

Post by Brian2020 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Also discontinued but the Sputnik 5 Step Voltage Source can be controlled by a ramp (decay only envelope for forward and attack only for reverse motion). Assuming I understood you correctly.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:26 pm

A couple that respond to CV to address the sequencer stage off the top of my head:

1. Malekko Voltage Block via CV setting for input
2. Verbos Multi-Stage and Verbos Sequence Selector via Analog input for addressing stage
3. Both Make Noise Rene I and Make Noise Rene II via the X and Y CV inputs addressing Cartesian coordinates on I and individual sequencer location PLUS Cartesian coordinates on II.
4. Dnipro Metamorph via CV in to address stage

I’m sure there’s more but those are a few that come to mind.

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spindrift » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:42 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

Been looking at Rene, Voltage Block and Multi-Stage, but really like the simplicity of the RYO in comparison. Also I really would like 8 steps.

Seems like I have to be patient and hope to find a RYO one day, or spend at least 3 times as much to get something with a lot of useless features for my purposes :\

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:02 am

I don't know if you need discrete steps, but the Klavis Flexshaper is great for turning a ramp into an arbitrary, four-segment curve. Plus there's CV control for the level of each breakpoint.

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:20 am

Spindrift wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:42 am

Been looking at Rene, Voltage Block and Multi-Stage, but really like the simplicity of the RYO in comparison. Also I really would like 8 steps.

Seems like I have to be patient and hope to find a RYO one day, or spend at least 3 times as much to get something with a lot of useless features for my purposes :\
I believe there is an RYO sequencer in the BST currently

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:15 am

Muxlicer and popcorn + expander come to mind ( I don't own neither).

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spindrift » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:40 am

Brian2020: Thanks for the tip! Saw one with gate expander in US, but would ideally like to get just the sequencer and from EU.

hirnlego: Muxslicer seems interesting, and in this case the extra functionality could be useful for other purposes. But I'm not clear if it could act in the same way as RYO CV SEQ. Looking at DivKid's video he sends both clock and CV when demoing addressing with an LFO. What is the purpose of the clock when you control addressing with CV?

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:49 am

Doepfer A-155/A-154 combo should be able to do it ... (or, of course, the A-155/A-155/A-154 combo ;) )

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:19 am

Rigo wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:49 am
Doepfer A-155/A-154 combo should be able to do it ... (or, of course, the A-155/A-155/A-154 combo ;) )
A-152 will do it.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:08 am

Spindrift wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:42 am

Hmm....yeah if you’re not really after a large sequencer that could be a pain. I’d take another look at the Verbos Sequence Selector. Out the box, you get an addressable 5 stage sequence, but with another simple sequential switch and static voltages, you could expand that to 10 or 15 steps with the 5-to-1 switches.

That’s brings up another way to go if you really want the exact features you describe and nothing more...an 8-to-1 addressable switch like the ALM Bow Tie and some static voltages like from a fader bank or simple attenuators. The offset on the Bow Tie would be an added fun bonus too :tu:

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spindrift » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Bow Tie and an 8 ch CV source seems like an interesting option!

Not a lot of options for an 8 ch CV source what I can find though. Michigan Synth Works has an 8 ch faderbank, but it has MIDI and stuff I will never use. So with that combo more $ and more HP than RYO, although some added flexibility and can be nicer with a row of faders.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm

How about 2 times 1U Quadratt for the 8 voltages.
It would require a 1U row though.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:06 pm

I had problem finding something for me to do this in 4U so I worked on something to do it.

I know it's not eurorack but here is my walkthrough:

The RYO module was one of the inspirations as I always enjoyed that thing when I had euro, along with things like the Buchla 245

CV addressing of steps in a sequencer is one of the absolute quickest ways to make things feel more human / natural I think. Really wish there were more options!

I've been told that the verbos versions are also really good.

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:06 pm

I use the Sputnik 5 step plus the Sputnik switch. Works great, and the Verbos sequence selector plus a switch will do the same thing.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Spindrift wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:40 am
hirnlego: Muxslicer seems interesting, and in this case the extra functionality could be useful for other purposes. But I'm not clear if it could act in the same way as RYO CV SEQ. Looking at DivKid's video he sends both clock and CV when demoing addressing with an LFO. What is the purpose of the clock when you control addressing with CV?
Checking in the manual... it looks like that the module jumps at the specified address when a clock signal is received. Without the module I can't confirm it, tho.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:43 pm

dksynth wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:06 pm
I had problem finding something for me to do this in 4U so I worked on something to do it.

I know it's not eurorack but here is my walkthrough:

The RYO module was one of the inspirations as I always enjoyed that thing when I had euro, along with things like the Buchla 245

CV addressing of steps in a sequencer is one of the absolute quickest ways to make things feel more human / natural I think. Really wish there were more options!

I've been told that the verbos versions are also really good.
Really cool! Does anything like this exist in eurorack form? I think I'd buy it instantly. :yay:

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Spindrift wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm
Bow Tie and an 8 ch CV source seems like an interesting option!

Not a lot of options for an 8 ch CV source what I can find though. Michigan Synth Works has an 8 ch faderbank, but it has MIDI and stuff I will never use. So with that combo more $ and more HP than RYO, although some added flexibility and can be nicer with a row of faders.
There is a sense in which 8 voltages are not completely necessary in that 1-2 stages of the switch could be left @ 0V. Sequences do often return to the root or base tone after all. Which stage(s) you want at 0V is just a matter of moving patch cables. lf you’re cool with that sort of paradigm, then the switch plus 2 of your favourite 3 channel attenuators could be a candidate :tu:

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spindrift » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:27 pm

Very cool dksynth, looks like a really nice sequencer! Would prefer 4u and banana, but went with eurorack because the great selection of modules...hmmm :)

Patching and combining several modules would work, but the main point for me is the a fluid interface to create modulation patterns, so it has to be immediate with symmetric spacing.

Thanks hirnlego. Muxslicer seemed like a very nice option, but indeed it says it will always wait for the next clock to respond to address :(

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:29 pm

Spindrift wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:27 pm

Patching and combining several modules would work, but the main point for me is the a fluid interface to create modulation patterns, so it has to be immediate with symmetric spacing.
Had this on my mind the other night since I gave the suggestion of a switch and voltages....so gave it a whirl with a few different voltage sources. One module that was super fun and fits your fluid interface/symmetric spacing requirement was MI Stages. Was a real blast with all the sliders set to step segments feeding different stages of the Bow Tie! A lot of different functionality to be had from both modules for sure, but worked great for this.

Anyways, just thought I’d drop note here. Best of luck with your hunt :tu:

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:04 pm

Spindrift wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:48 pm

RYO VC Sequencer seems very good match, but unavailable and could also imagine something bigger with more rows of knobs.
Better pounce bud :tu:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234530

ArboriaAuralist
Common Wiggler

Post by ArboriaAuralist » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:56 am

Have you checked out the Frequency Central Bartos Flur II? The CV bus makes it a great sequencer driven by arbitrary ramps.

https://frequencycentral.co.uk/product/bartos-flur-ii/

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:44 am

if you're cool with encoders, Tetrapad with Tête in Voltage Banks mode can do voltage addressed stages (ie drive the sequence phase when a ramp or whatever you like).

as to the original post: I find sequencers with a clock input + VC addressing of stage to be best, especially if they will sample the voltage at each clock pulse. if not, then you might want to use an external sample & hold.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am

ArboriaAuralist wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:56 am
Have you checked out the Frequency Central Bartos Flur II? The CV bus makes it a great sequencer driven by arbitrary ramps.

https://frequencycentral.co.uk/product/bartos-flur-ii/
Looks like it's just a gate/trig sequencer? :hmm:
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

ArboriaAuralist
Common Wiggler

Post by ArboriaAuralist » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:32 am

flashheart wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am
Looks like it's just a gate/trig sequencer? :hmm:
Ah, right. That page doesn't make it clear that the potentiometer associated with each comparator stage sets a CV that is sent to the CV bus output when the stage is chosen.

The build doc is more revealing as to its many capabilities:

"Bartos Flur is essentially an 8 channel window comparator. There are two inputs, one suitable for processing unipolar signals, the other suitable for processing bipolar signals. Additionally, both inputs can be used for offsets if no signal is connected. There are 8 window outputs, each of which goes high at its relevant window. Each output also has an associated attenuator, the 8 attenuators are summed and output at the CV Bus output. A trigger bus output sends out a pulse as input signals pass through each of the 8 windows. The option exists to select either trigger or gate outputs. Finally, there is a clock input, which tells Bartos Flur when to sample the inputs, if this is left unconnected, Bartos Flur samples continuously."

So, put a up ramp CV in, get the CV sequence played forward; triangle, get a pendulum sequence; etc.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”