Picking out my third sequencer.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Radomil
Common Wiggler

Picking out my third sequencer.

Post by Radomil » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:48 pm

So I have a pretty good size eurorack set up with two sequencers.
Tiptop z8000 and the O_c.
Looking for a nice new sequencer to add that has good control over CV and Gates for melodies and patterns and something that can pair well with my wmd sequential switch matrix.i also don't want to much overlap with the z8000. And not menu divey or deep programming.

Looking at the Rene v2 which seems pretty attractive.
Maybe something else? Would love some recommendations!
Thank you!! 😁

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Picking out my third sequencer.

Post by electricanada » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 am

Doepfer A155/154 is hardly to beat for features and playability.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Radomil
Common Wiggler

Post by Radomil » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:20 am

electricanada wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 am
Doepfer A155/154 is hardly to beat for features and playability.
I've looked into this one. Looks great. But its a bit too big of a monster in hp for me. Any alternatives? Thanks!

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:20 am

The Rene is cool, read the manual if you haven't. Although easy to use, It can be fairly complicated, assuming you want to be able to take
full advantage of it. Using it can be choresome at times imo. Thankfully it's easy to skip all that, I think I've made 1 preset for the thing
in two years. YMMV of course.

tigersi
Common Wiggler

Post by tigersi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 am

Metropolis?
Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.

We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:09 am

Pittsburgh Modular Micro Sequence is really nice. Tiny but hands on, many functions but no menu diving. Only 8 steps, though.
My second ever track using Mutable Instruments Rings. Here paired with Make Noise 0-coast and Arturia DrumBrute and Korg Minilogue. A rather bittersweet piece. ❤️

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 am

The Ryk sequencer looks really nice, last I checked was completely sold out though.

Curious, are you using sequins on your o_c right now for sequencing or what? I always found sequencing on my o_c to be pretty laborious.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Prologue 16, Fusion Mixer v3, Qu-bit Prism, Intellijel uMIDI 1U, Raging Bull 3.0, NE Zularic Repetitor]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=239013

metamorphmuses
Learning to Wiggle

Post by metamorphmuses » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:57 am

Winter Modular Eloquencer or 1010 Music Toolbox if you don't care about portamento/glissando/glide/slide (whatever term you prefer)

Five12 Vector Sequencer (+expander if you can spare the space), Frap Tools Usta, Westlicht Per|former, or wait for the Erica Synths Black Sequencer to come out (should be in the next month or so) if you do care about portamento

Another possibility I've been considering is a combination of Malekko Varigate4+ and Voltage Block

I highly recommend reviewing this list: https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:27 am

versipellis wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 am
The Ryk sequencer looks really nice, last I checked was completely sold out though.
It is really good indeed. You'll have to memorize some menu combinations though. I.e. quantizer.

strawberry
Common Wiggler

Post by strawberry » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:34 am

Vector

Tofupancho
Common Wiggler

Post by Tofupancho » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:55 am

There are a lot of ways Rene can fit into your track and it can be deeply playable. Turning steps on and off and reordering them to reconstruct melodies is an experience that’s someplace between performing on an arpeggiator and slicing loops. If you get it set up and jam on it for a while, you can pretty quickly intuit how to get (approximately) to new destinations with awesome variants for the bars in between. It’s not my go to for everything but I always have it close By- I don’t think there’s anything like it.

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 am

rene imvho -- though i've not used it.
i'm out, go circle someone else's corpse.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 am

Rene 2 is great-- it's very easy to program 2 independent channels of CV and gate (they can use different clocks and addressing, so it's really like a completely separate sequencer), plus the correlated cartesian outputs. And all of that can be built into more elaborate sequences by setting up states.

It is however "deep programming" so if that's off-putting to you, maybe it's not the best choice. Practically I think spending a few days forcing yourself to program with states, it becomes easier to understand what it is, how it works, why you'd want to do it and it starts to feel intuitive.

xntrk
Common Wiggler

Post by xntrk » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:29 am

Rene is good. For me it’s a bit hard to make it shine without adding some other pattern generator for the clocks. I use stoppy for for this but any rhythmic generation should work.

Radomil
Common Wiggler

Post by Radomil » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:37 am

versipellis wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 am

Curious, are you using sequins on your o_c right now for sequencing or what? I always found sequencing on my o_c to be pretty laborious.
Yeah it's not really fun at all. And usually use it for other functions like as a quantizer. I'll check the ryk out!

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 am

luketeaford wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 am
Rene 2 is great-- it's very easy to program 2 independent channels of CV and gate (they can use different clocks and addressing, so it's really like a completely separate sequencer), plus the correlated cartesian outputs. And all of that can be built into more elaborate sequences by setting up states.

It is however "deep programming" so if that's off-putting to you, maybe it's not the best choice. Practically I think spending a few days forcing yourself to program with states, it becomes easier to understand what it is, how it works, why you'd want to do it and it starts to feel intuitive.
René is a great sequencer overall and while the States part of René seems pretty impressive on paper, I feel it’s a bit of a let down in reality if you want to do something specific.
A change State signal and a reset function at the same time is something René can’t handle well, so if you’re planning on doing something rather basic like chaining patterns, you will be disappointed as René can’t do that properly. It’s good at many other stuff though.

Radomil
Common Wiggler

Post by Radomil » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 am

mother misty wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 am
luketeaford wrote:

René is a great sequencer overall and while the States part of René seems pretty impressive on paper, I feel it’s a bit of a let down in reality if you want to do something specific.
A change State signal and a reset function at the same time is something René can’t handle well, so if you’re planning on doing something rather basic like chaining patterns, you will be disappointed as René can’t do that properly. It’s good at many other stuff though.
Is there a good alternative? Something that I can change states with my sequential switch matrix? Really looking for a good partner with that beast.

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:30 am

why not circadian rhythms, if you need to add better gate capabilities? it should pair well with the z8000.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Radomil wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:48 pm
Looking for a nice new sequencer to add that has good control over CV and Gates for melodies and patterns ,,,
So will a pattern sequencer work for you? One that is more of a note oriented sequencer? If so I suggest the Division6 Dual Mini Sequencer. They just had a firmware update and no can store multiple songs and phrases. There is two of them in a 18HP module:
D6-dual-sequencer.png
7 sequence memories
5 song memories (string sequences together)
SLUR- change pitch between steps without firing gate
Variable gate timing (including ratcheting)
ACC can be set to drop or not drop between steps, or follow gate timing for that step
Auto-advance step when programming
Live transpose (use the keyboard to shift entire sequence up or down while running)
Live edit (buttons you push while running get saved to the sequence)
1X mode (disable to use XP IN as a reset without requiring an external gate mixer)
Clock out (use ACC out jack to output clock if using internal clock)
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:57 pm

The Omsonic looks like a blast for playability.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 pm

Hmm...what do you currently have for gate/trigger sequencing and/or clocking in your rack? This may help narrow down what kind of 3rd sequencer would fit best with what you already have.

For example, Rene2 definitely benefits from having robust clocking that is flexible. That’s probably half the reason Tempi and Rene2 have been made to work so well together.

I agree with @luketeaford that Rene2 does lean towards deep programming once you start in with states and mesh programming. You have to be prepared for less immediacy right off the bat with the deeper functionality...But once you’ve wrapped your head around it, I think it’s a tonne of fun to jam with! It also has a lot of options for input where the rest of your system can interact with Rene settings which is super rewarding.

Radomil
Common Wiggler

Post by Radomil » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 am

VZvision wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 pm
Hmm...what do you currently have for gate/trigger sequencing and/or clocking in your rack? This may help narrow down what kind of 3rd sequencer would fit best with what you already have.

For example, Rene2 definitely benefits from having robust clocking that is flexible. That’s probably half the reason Tempi and Rene2 have been made to work so well together.

I agree with @luketeaford that Rene2 does lean towards deep programming once you start in with states and mesh programming. You have to be prepared for less immediacy right off the bat with the deeper functionality...But once you’ve wrapped your head around it, I think it’s a tonne of fun to jam with! It also has a lot of options for input where the rest of your system can interact with Rene settings which is super rewarding.
Hey there! So I have a pnw for clocks as well as marbles and ura.
This is my current rack. https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/m ... 229196.jpg

Radomil
Common Wiggler

Post by Radomil » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 am

Or what about a couple smaller sequencers with the z8000 and as matrix like octone or Tirana 2s?

metamorphmuses
Learning to Wiggle

Post by metamorphmuses » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 am

Radomil wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 am
Or what about a couple smaller sequencers with the z8000 and as matrix like octone or Tirana 2s?
The Dnipro Metamorph might also play nicely with your z8000.

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:15 am

Radomil wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 am
mother misty wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 am
luketeaford wrote:

Is there a good alternative? Something that I can change states with my sequential switch matrix? Really looking for a good partner with that beast.
The issue I mentioned only occurs when you change states and have a reset signal at the same time, I don’t think there’s a solid solution for that (or at least, I’m not aware of it).
I mostly turn off the reset function once my patterns are aligned (so the change state and reset function don’t fight each other), than it works like it should. I bet you can do some really nice stuff in combination with your sequential switch matrix!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”