Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Re: Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Post by Logarhythm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:03 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:21 pm
I have a small feature request that I think people will find useful. The voltages app does not use the CV inputs. It would be really nice if it added the selected voltage to the input, so you can use it as a gated precision adder as well as just the offset.
That's an interesting idea and the functionality is simple-- the trick would probably be in making the UI work sensibly to tell you what's happening without interfering with the ability to get clean voltage outputs if you want. One possible issue that comes to mind is that you'd probably need bit of a detent around 0 volts CV input or else noise might affect the outputs.
Alternately it might make sense to add gating to the AttenuOff applet?

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 pm

versipellis wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:45 am
I appreciate that the shift register has a control for limiting the range. Keep up the good work - any thoughts on getting videos out there?
Thanks! Doing a video overview of the new applets has been on my TODO list and I think they're mature enough at this point. I hope to get to it soon as a way for people to see them in action and serve as a video manual.

It'd be amazing to hear & see what other people are doing with Stairs and TB-3PO too, if anybody has audio or video to share :)

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:34 pm

recliq wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:53 pm
Might it be possible to also transpose the sequence without using the transpose CV in? It would be very nice if we could for example choose also c-1,c-2,c-3 in addition to c in quantizer base setting... would this be possible?
That makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately there isn't space to save any more than 16 possible values for the root note, and it's currently using 12 (there are 4 bits allotted for root note, of the 32 for saving applet state.) It's worth looking into though, since not everyone has oscillators with octave switches and needing an offset+attenuation to get CV root modulation and an octave switch requires some hardware or the other hemisphere to run AttenOff.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:43 pm

casciato wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:39 pm
Cool stuff. I'm installing this just as soon as I figure out how.
Thanks! The guide here from the original O&C firmware is great-- just substitute the logarhythm branch .hex file (linked from the first post in this thread) for the original firmware one. And of course you can get the original O&C firmware back on the device by downloading its .hex and loading it.
https://ornament-and-cri.me/firmware/#method_a

recliq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by recliq » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:45 pm

Logarhythm wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:34 pm
That makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately there isn't space to save any more than 16 possible values for the root note, and it's currently using 12 (there are 4 bits allotted for root note, of the 32 for saving applet state.) It's worth looking into though, since not everyone has oscillators with octave switches and needing an offset+attenuation to get CV root modulation and an octave switch requires some hardware or the other hemisphere to run AttenOff.
Ok, thanks for the quick answere and explanation, I didn't know about those technical limitations.

recliq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by recliq » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:54 am

@Logarhythm
I still think transpose would be a dope addition even if ist's not saved (like the range restriction in ShiftRegister)!

dangayle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dangayle » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:46 am

I put this on my O_C yesterday and, wow. This is amazing. Pretty much what I always wanted out of a small random sequencer in Eurorack. Much more techno and less blip bloop. I ran it into my Manis Iteritas and was lost for a few hours, lol.

One small feature request: Can you make the glide and accents available on the outputs? Some modules like the x0x-heart take those inputs, it would be nice to fully take advantage of those. http://www.openmusiclabs.com/projects/x ... index.html

I'm not sure if you can do that with hemispheres though? Either way, this is really fun to work with and I really appreciate your work.

recliq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by recliq » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:58 pm

dangayle wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:46 am
I put this on my O_C yesterday and, wow. This is amazing. Pretty much what I always wanted out of a small random sequencer in Eurorack. Much more techno and less blip bloop. I ran it into my Manis Iteritas and was lost for a few hours, lol.

One small feature request: Can you make the glide and accents available on the outputs? Some modules like the x0x-heart take those inputs, it would be nice to fully take advantage of those. http://www.openmusiclabs.com/projects/x ... index.html

I'm not sure if you can do that with hemispheres though? Either way, this is really fun to work with and I really appreciate your work.
I think this is not possible since each Hemisphere app has just 2 outputs available, both are already in use for cv/gate.
But glide is modulated onto cv out and accents are reflected in gate out level:
https://github.com/Logarhythm1/O_C-Hemi ... iki/TB-3PO

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 pm

I tried to work around this by using Hemisphere's Compare applet to extract separate gates for gate and accent. The extracted accent gate then goes into the accent input of your 303 module and the or'ed (mixed) gates of gate and accent go into your gate input of your 303 module. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I feel like it's not doing what I think it should do, maybe due to the way the Compare applet holds its gates high :hmm:

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:54 pm

dangayle wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks, glad you like it! I'd love to have a go with the Manis Iteritas on this thing lol.

Recliq is right, TB-3PO is already using both of the outputs available to a given hemisphere (and cramming more into each than is usual) with the CV+glide output and scaled gate output.

Having the 303-like expo pitch bend right on the CV output and clock-sync'd 303-like gate durations to match is partly to allow for any oscillator to impersonate 303 behavior, but it does effectively bypass those nice features on the X0X Heart :)

For something like a X0X Heart, it might be tricky to get the slide input doing what you want (because TB-3PO will be sliding the CV already) but you could potentially use another trigger sequencer or something like a Turing Machine for the accent steps (approximately 7-15% probability per step to get close.)
uebl wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 pm
I tried to work around this by using Hemisphere's Compare applet to extract separate gates for gate and accent. The extracted accent gate then goes into the accent input of your 303 module and the or'ed (mixed) gates of gate and accent go into your gate input of your 303 module. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I feel like it's not doing what I think it should do, maybe due to the way the Compare applet holds its gates high :hmm:
I was wondering the same thing about using a comparator for this-- when originally playing around with the 3v and 5v regular and accented gates, I did try routing the gate to an ADSR envelope, and multiplying the ADSR's output by the gate again (with baseline of 3v adjusted to give normal levels) but this doesn't give room for scaling the difference between normal and accented gates.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 pm

recliq wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:54 am
@Logarhythm
I still think transpose would be a dope addition even if ist's not saved (like the range restriction in ShiftRegister)!
I've been playing around with this actually-- another issue that arises is that an octave means different things depending on how many notes are in your current scale, but I think the solution is to track the +1 +2 or -1 -2 on the octave separately from the root transpose and just to add its effect in to the final pitch output as octaves, even if the interface just works by editing the root note.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Has anyone tried this on the plum audio uO_c for robots version?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Logarhythm wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:03 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:21 pm
I have a small feature request that I think people will find useful. The voltages app does not use the CV inputs. It would be really nice if it added the selected voltage to the input, so you can use it as a gated precision adder as well as just the offset.
That's an interesting idea and the functionality is simple-- the trick would probably be in making the UI work sensibly to tell you what's happening without interfering with the ability to get clean voltage outputs if you want. One possible issue that comes to mind is that you'd probably need bit of a detent around 0 volts CV input or else noise might affect the outputs.
Alternately it might make sense to add gating to the AttenuOff applet?
I had completely forgotten about the AttenuOff applet and I just tried it and found that the offset is done in 1 semitone increments like Voltages. So it will actually serve the purpose I really wanted, which was to transpose a sequence without having to use Voltages and a precision adder. I think you're right about needing a detent around 0 volts. When I didn't plug anything into AttenuOff and used just the offset I was getting a tiny bit of drift - like 1.5 cents. If I plugged in a cable from an unused buffered mult to the CV in, the drift went away.

As for UI, I think the fact that a cable is plugged in would be enough, but it would be cool if it could show a little plus sign next to the voltage when it's acting as an adder. That would require detecting a cable plugged in and I have a vague recollection that the hardware doesn't support that. If it did I imagine what I described above wouldn't be happening.

In any case, the gating would be neat but AttenuOff does actually do what I needed :cloud:

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:31 pm

exper wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:26 pm
That appears to be just a different form-factor of the same uO_c version some of us here are using, so it should work fine.

Edit: This is incorrect, the 4robots version requires "VOR" (Variable Output Range) builds of the O&C firmwares, which Plum audio provides for standard O&C and Hemispheres. Please see below for correction.
Last edited by Logarhythm on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:46 pm
As for UI, I think the fact that a cable is plugged in would be enough, but it would be cool if it could show a little plus sign next to the voltage when it's acting as an adder. That would require detecting a cable plugged in and I have a vague recollection that the hardware doesn't support that. If it did I imagine what I described above wouldn't be happening.
What you were hearing with input noise makes sense. I did a test and was seeing the same thing, so the standard detent around 0v would be required to give clean normal outputs on Voltages (or more controls to manually turn off the input sums.) This would add a discontinuity at 0v though, which would throw off 'precision' sum use for pitch.
SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:46 pm
In any case, the gating would be neat but AttenuOff does actually do what I needed :cloud:
Awesome, glad to hear it; When patching I've been really happy that nearly everything I need seems to be already there when I want it :)

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:15 pm

Logarhythm wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:31 pm
exper wrote:
That appears to be just a different form-factor of the same uO_c version some of us here are using, so it should work fine.
It's not. There's a separate fork of the hemisphere code base for 1uO_c4robots because it has configurable voltage ranges for the v-outs. Last I heard it hadn't been merged back into master, but can be found on the Plum Audio support page.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Prologue 16, 4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

swordsreversed
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swordsreversed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 am

Hello,

If nothing is plugged into the the CV2 input i can't seem to change the density by encoder. If i put my Maths into CV2 i can change the values. Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks!

recliq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by recliq » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:31 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 pm
recliq wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:54 am
@Logarhythm
I've been playing around with this actually-- another issue that arises is that an octave means different things depending on how many notes are in your current scale, but I think the solution is to track the +1 +2 or -1 -2 on the octave separately from the root transpose and just to add its effect in to the final pitch output as octaves, even if the interface just works by editing the root note.
Having the transpose setting separate from the root seems reasonable, especially if it is not saved.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:12 am

versipellis wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:15 pm
Logarhythm wrote:
exper wrote:
It's not. There's a separate fork of the hemisphere code base for 1uO_c4robots because it has configurable voltage ranges for the v-outs. Last I heard it hadn't been merged back into master, but can be found on the Plum Audio support page.
Whoops, thanks for the correction! I'd mistakenly thought the VOR build was just for the new O&C modules from Plum Audio that have additional analogue trimpots: http://diy.plum-audio.com/projects/OCP/ ... tmlqUpc1Zk

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:16 am

swordsreversed wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 am
Hello,

If nothing is plugged into the the CV2 input i can't seem to change the density by encoder. If i put my Maths into CV2 i can change the values. Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks!
That's strange; on the 0.9 build you should be able to change density with the encoder when it is selected, regardless of having CV input or not. If there is CV input (not 0v) the only difference is that you'll see a "knob" icon appear to the left to indicate the encoder value is being shown momentarily so you can set it accurately.

If you run the app on the other hemisphere does it exhibit the same behavior?
Last edited by Logarhythm on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:00 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:12 am
versipellis wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:15 pm
Logarhythm wrote:
exper wrote:
Whoops, thanks for the correction! I'd mistakenly thought the VOR build was just for the new O&C modules from Plum Audio that have additional analogue trimpots: http://diy.plum-audio.com/projects/OCP/ ... tmlqUpc1Zk

Thanks for the info guys. While I'd love to try these new applets, I'd have to wait until they are ported to the VOR version of O_c.
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:17 am

uebl wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 pm
I tried this out last night and managed to get something working with a couple of modules:
- Mult the gate output of TB-3PO to your ADSR(s) and also to ch1 of the 'Compare' applet.
- Feed ch2 of 'Compare' with a fixed voltage somewhere between 3v and 5v (in my case, from Shades.)
- 'Compare' outputs Gates, so it needs to go through a gate-->trig converter (e.g. Schmitt trigger) and fire an envelope.
- In my case, I fed output gate A from 'Compare' into one of the 'trig' inputs on Rampage (Maths has the same thing) and used it to generate a decay envelope (set to slightly exponential) on rising edges from 'Compare'.
- That envelope can then be routed to a 2nd VCA at the end of the voice or (via attenuverters) summed into the CV controlling the main filter and/or VCA on the voice for more realistic 303 flavors.

prestosafe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by prestosafe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:37 am

Wow Logarhytm, thanks so much for this! I've been looking for something like the TB-3P0 for a log time! I Play drums and synth in an electronic "jazz kinda" duo, and this opened up a lot of doors!!
I have a setup where I want to trig my modular with my acoustic drum kit, and with this I can get a pretty cool bass and drum groove together with it all being triggered from my drumming!

Here is a an 2 chord loop jam example recorded straight from my mixer (sorry for kinda ruff mix/levels) :
https://soundcloud.com/oskar-loefberg/t ... k3APGNJFvc
It's basically my drums, with triggers on the kick and snare that sends gates to Tb-3po which then goes through a precision adder and then to my mother-32. The pad is coming from my Analog four which I trigger from my Yamaha multi-pad, which also sends transpose values through the A4 to the precision adder. Oh and some samples of Philip K dick played from the octatrack. Just foolin' around, but this applet sure inspired me today, thanks Logarhytm!

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Wow prestosafe, that's great and sounds awesome! I love the rhythmic effect of sending clocks via drum triggers. Thanks so much for sharing and the kind words :cloud:

swordsreversed
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swordsreversed » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:16 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:16 am
swordsreversed wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 am
Hello,

Thanks!
That's strange; on the 0.9 build you should be able to change density with the encoder when it is selected, regardless of having CV input or not. If there is CV input (not 0v) the only difference is that you'll see a "knob" icon appear to the left to indicate the encoder value is being shown momentarily so you can set it accurately.

If you run the app on the other hemisphere does it exhibit the same behavior?
Yes, here's a little video showing the behaviour. Note the CV icon flashing/solid even with no CV input. Perhaps my unit is wonky?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”