NOise engineering naming...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re: NOise engineering naming...

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 am

NE does add what they mean with the names on their website by the way:

Loquelic - speech - from Latin loquela "speech"

Manis - ghosts of the dead - from Latin Manis

Basimilus - small foundation - from Latin basos "foundation" with suffix -lus "small"

Iteritas - repetitiousness - from Latin itero "repeat" with suffix -tas state of being"

Percido - smash - from Latin percido "smash"

Alter - alter - from Latin alter "another"

I love their approach to naming models, it's fun word play and deeply nerdy. Also like their design philosophy in terms of features and controls, graphical design should be bit less spastic to my taste.

Some observations:
I really like their names as I like to chew on words and their meaning. Their model names are hard to remember indeed.

Manis is also the Indonesian word for sweet.
I like to chew on words, without knowing the Latin-ish meaning they've attributed to Loquelic the words 'full voiced' came to my mind.

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:33 am

NE's names are indeed difficult to understand and memorize, but it's just fine like that. The same way some Mannequins modules are a pain to understand reading the official manuals. While it is sometimes a bit of a turn off, it's also what makes the world of Eurorack fun, creative and interesting. These manufacturers have created their own little world, and it's ok if these worlds have their pros and cons. Besides, there are already plenty of other manufacturers who make very clear, user-friendly modules, so I'm personally happy that not all manufacturers feel the pressure to be like that. I used to get annoyed at Make Noise calling a reverb a "Halo" or a filter a "Color" setting, but now I see these modules as little creations. They are often the expression of one person's vision, they took many months to develop and like any art form, they do not necessarily have to be accessible or perfect to be interesting. If you're going to spend that kind of money and if you want to build a system that makes sense to you, you are going to have to put in the research time anyway, so it makes little difference at the end of the day.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:50 am

Phitar wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:21 pm
Oh, and by the way... What the hell is a Cold Mac? :hihi:
As far as Mannequins is concerned the one which pisses me off is Just Friends. I can accept something like Cold Mac's Survey knob, in that calling it a crossfader would probably have raised more questions than it would have answered. But JF is really just MI Tides ran through a thesaurus app.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:51 am

Arneb wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:50 am
Phitar wrote:
As far as Mannequins is concerned the one which pisses me off is Just Friends. I can accept something like Cold Mac's Survey knob, in that calling it a crossfader would probably have raised more questions than it would have answered. But JF is really just MI Tides ran through a thesaurus app.
Yeah except JF came out before the version of tides you are referring to...
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:57 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:51 am
Arneb wrote:
Phitar wrote:
I'm definitely not accusing Mannequins of ripping off MI - even if the new Tides had been out before JF would be sufficiently different to not be a Tides clone. My point is, it's a quadrature slope generator, why not call it a quadrature slope generator?

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:21 am

Arneb wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:57 am
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:51 am
Arneb wrote:
Phitar wrote:
I'm definitely not accusing Mannequins of ripping off MI - even if the new Tides had been out before JF would be sufficiently different to not be a Tides clone. My point is, it's a quadrature slope generator, why not call it a quadrature slope generator?
Because it has 6 outputs that are not necessarily slope generators? So not quad (or quadrature which denotes the outputs are 90 degrees out of phase) or a slope gen, and therefore not a useful term.

The whole point of the weird naming on Mannequins stuff is that there are not necessarily technical names for the patch programmable, combined features on those modules. The fact that the technical term you used is totally wrong kind of proves the point. You could call it a harmonic oscillator, but it's not necessarily harmonics that are generated.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:42 am

Arneb wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:14 pm
Kinda beats A-172 or RxMx.
While I would agree, doepfer's naming convention at least is far more consistent eg. 110s are always sound sources, 130s are always mixers/VCAs, 150s are always sequencers and switches etc. They also have the literal name of the module after the number - can't get a matrix mixer confused with something else when it literally has "matrix mixer" on it. So in this sense, the actual title of the matrix mixer isn't the A-138m, but the A-138m Matrix Mixer.

Noise Engineer gives you no such luxury - the names make identifying what kind of module it is quickly nearly impossible. You don't know if it's a v2, or what category it is in.

You could say the same with the likes of MI's modules, but they always allude to what they do in some form (Frames = keyframe mixer), and generally tend to be memorable since they're not... latin words that most people wouldn't know to begin with.

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 am

Jumbuktu wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 pm
...something like mimetic digitalis can be worked pretty much without referring back to the manual. Try that with the Morphagene (which I love otherwise).
Do you really refer to the Morphagene manual THAT often? There are 8 combos, but only two of them are not intuitive and need to be remembered. Not hard at all. There are a lot more complicated modules.

As for NE naming, I fing it very attractive: it is a part of design, and design is not only how module looks. It is a complex thing, combination of idea, philosophy, technical solutions, interface approach, etc. And NE is a very individual brand in every aspect.
Last edited by kxx303 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BC / MG / IG / YT

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 am

Arneb wrote:
My point is, it's a quadrature slope generator, why not call it a quadrature slope generator?
...because it's not a quadrature slope generator.

"Quadrature" is four different phases of a cycle offset by 90 degrees. Tides 2018 can do this easily in "different times" mode with cycling enabled.

Just Friends can technically do quadrature (or "hexature") if you set it up. The six slope generators have independent phases, so you can wrangle it into place either with extremely lucky timing on the Intone knob, or with extremely well-timed triggers into each input. I certainly wouldn't choose Just Friends if what I primarily wanted was a quadrature LFO.

Anyway, the name "Just Friends" is not a problem -- few Eurorack modules describe themselves with their names.

The "problem" (which was an intentional choice by the maker) is the obscurity of the description and documentation *until the recent Technical Map). You can read the product page and still not have any grasp on what the module does.

(Also I think the Run modes are kind of ridiculous, like a poorly thought-out alternative firmware crammed under a poorly chosen mode switching interface -- otherwise it all seems relatively intuitive to work with once you know what it actually is, and I think it's a pretty clever module.)

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am

Arneb wrote:
... it's a quadrature slope generator, why not call it a quadrature slope generator?
Bizarre name forces us to look at a module more like at a work of art. Yes you can name a book “Novel about ...” or audiotrack could be named “Song in Bb” but it is just one approach.
BC / MG / IG / YT

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:50 am

I’m a fan of NE’s naming scheme. I took latin for years and appreciate names like Mimetic Digitalis. It gives each module some personality. And it’s a bit absurdist and whimsical, and technical.

Doepfer, Ladik, and Addac are the natural opposites—makes sense as each of those brands exudes clinical precision and minimalism.

Mutable Instruments has an effective naming sustem—ubiquitous words that recall nature and everyday objects, but altogether they’re communicating that their modules are (just about) for everyone.

AlM and Mannequins names are endearing in a similar way to NE—they’re all personality.

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by helix » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 am

scragz wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm
If y'all don't know the backstory, they're not trying to come up with actual latin but the whole point is inventing ridiculous science-y names inspired by this video of The Turbo-Entabulator
Ahhh. Some context. That makes me more into it! :D

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:50 am

kxx303 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am
Arneb wrote:
... it's a quadrature slope generator, why not call it a quadrature slope generator?
Bizarre name forces us to look at a module more like at a work of art. Yes you can name a book “Novel about ...” or audiotrack could be named “Song in Bb” but it is just one approach.
Good point. I’m not a fan of the NE naming but it adds.. something. And I’m always happy when I come across someone who likes naming their stuff. I dislike naming my music so i found a system that eases my burden.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 am

kxx303 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am
Arneb wrote:
"Just Friends" isn't a bad name at all. What I'm complaining about is the part where they named the shape control "Curve" and the AD mode "Transient".

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:24 am

Also, the naming is consistent for the most part. If you see Iteritas, you know it’s going to be an oscillator of some kind. Personally, I love the naming conventions they use, and it’s always fun to try and figure out what a new module is going to be based upon the name they give it, before the rest of the info comes out about it.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Arneb wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 am
"Just Friends" isn't a bad name at all. What I'm complaining about is the part where they named the shape control "Curve" and the AD mode "Transient".
I don't think there's anything to complain about there either. The Curve control affects the curvature of the rise and fall -- if I were designing a similar module I would absolutely have called that control Curve. To me, Curve/Ramp is less ambiguous than Slope/Shape on Tides. In any case, the functions are clarified by the graphics.

"Transient" isn't bad either; that's exactly what a triggered, non-sustaining, non-cycling event is. I'd probably use AR/ASR/cycle myself, but it's not confusing, especially in context.

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:01 pm

lisa wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:50 am
I dislike naming my music so i found a system that eases my burden.
Do you mean you created an algorithm that names your tracks in a predictable/unpredictable way?
BC / MG / IG / YT

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:33 pm

still better than Doepfer. Seriously who can remember 1000 numbers and what they do?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:47 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:33 pm
still better than Doepfer. Seriously who can remember 1000 numbers and what they do?
Easy - the name beside it.

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Post by pablowdadon » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:16 am

The awkward thing of you people living outspide italy is that generally consider latin as a sort of solemn languange, while latins were really chilled out lazy ass folks

So it’s more similar to e-teh-ree-tas rather than harry potter pronunciations i hear in every video :doh:

DasIch&DerEr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DasIch&DerEr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:24 am

zerodivide wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:33 pm
as long as you follow their system that‘s quite easy, ist it?

100 for cases
11x sound sources like vco‘s
12x filters
13x vca
14x modulation
etc.

Nevertheless, I do not care that much about names, at least it‘s always better to test & to listen than to follow marketing stuff, right? 😉

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:46 am

Shledge wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Easy - the name beside it.
I genuinely feel stupid now haha
Still, don't see the purpose in the numbers even more now!

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:55 am

^ its like the Dewey decimal system in libraries.

When you have that many modules - its good to have some kind of number system innit

Return to “Eurorack Modules”