NOise engineering naming...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

helix
Veteran Wiggler

NOise engineering naming...

Post by helix » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Does anyone else find it offputting? I dont remember the names. ever. Even when i'm keen on a module i seem to forget it. I really LIKE the names. I just do not remember them at all. Like even writing this i cant think of the correct name for any of them. Despite looking at many of them for a year or more. Cursus iterais? I know it... but i have no idea what it does by memory...
Maybe i should just buy some and get over the totally impossible to remember naming convention...

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Re: NOise engineering naming...

Post by helix » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Before you all go mad, i know i could just look it up on their website (again) but its more of a conversation about naming for modules.

I just cannot ever remember what any of these things do by name, despite loving almost all of them!

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by helix » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:41 pm

(also, i'm not, i think, stupid. Maybe just a very bad memory (definitely)

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:46 pm

The NE module names make no sense to me but I couldn’t care less. :)
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:49 pm

I love love love NE modules. I agree in that their naming adds a bit of "friction" which I find tedious. Yet it's hard to argue with the success of their creations and whatever contribution the branding has made. :)
I've come to appreciate the beautiful eclectic "mess" my modular instrument has become :D

Xinod
Common Wiggler

Post by Xinod » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:02 pm

lisa wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:46 pm
The NE module names make no sense to me but I couldn’t care less. :)
They also make no sense to anyone who actually know some latin, but that’s something to care even less

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Kinda beats A-172 or RxMx.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Loquelic or Manis makes about as much sense and about as easy to remember as Morphagene or A-135-2.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 pm

I think they are kind of cute, with their kind of invented latinesque (that’s how Steven referred to them once) derivations. But kind of a pain if you need to type one out- I always need to look it up or go check out the module if it’s one I own. And some are similar enough that I get confused, even about modules I actually own and use.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:23 pm

helix wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:38 pm
Does anyone else find it offputting? I dont remember the names. ever. Even when i'm keen on a module i seem to forget it. I really LIKE the names. I just do not remember them at all. Like even writing this i cant think of the correct name for any of them. Despite looking at many of them for a year or more. Cursus iterais? I know it... but i have no idea what it does by memory...
Maybe i should just buy some and get over the totally impossible to remember naming convention...
I don’t find it as offputting as their panel aesthetic! :hide:

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm

If y'all don't know the backstory, they're not trying to come up with actual latin but the whole point is inventing ridiculous science-y names inspired by this video of The Turbo-Entabulator

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:57 pm

Of the NE modules that I've owned/used, the names are distinctive and memorable. Also, not a huge fan of their graphics/panel aesthetic, but at one point my system was comprised of more NE modules than any other brand. I suppose it says something about the quality of their modules. As somebody already stated, the NE name scheme is certainly easier to recall than that of Doepfer's (strictly regarding module names) .. it's kind of negligible

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:07 pm

my honest opinion on module naming and guitar pedal naming is companies trying hard to sound different.

i agree that if modules sound good it doesnt matter. But i'd much rather be having a conversation about which wavetable oscillator sounds better than the other - VS -which "insert bohemian/quasi-hippy/woke up from an acid" named module sounds better than the other. it confuses the technicalities - especially when you have people like me trying to learn.

Also - yes - in a similar vein - the whole tring to intentionally make modules impossible to look at is really fucked...my eyes arent great - from 2 x medical conditions...i wont buy your modules if you think its funny to make them look like strobe lights going off in my face with chicken scratch lettering.

The travesty - is a designer was probably paid to make it unusable too.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:16 pm

I only have one (Quantus Pax), and I admit at first I did keep forgetting the name. But whatever, in the end I care what it does, not what it's called. They're definitely not the only manufacturer guilty of using odd naming conventions. I don't care so much what a module is called as whether or not the manufacturer can clearly and concisely explain what it does and how it works, which a lot of them are definitely not very good at. The quantus pax manual is at least well written (admittedly it's not a complicated module). I've seen simpler modules with manuals that still manage to be lacking in some way.
Last edited by adaris on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:24 pm

A rose by any other name.... I don't remember the names a lot of the time and from their use of abbreviations of the names (BIA for example) maybe they don't remember either. Do wish they would tack on a basic description of what the module does though.... Like Carpus Sequent - Fishy sequencer. :lol:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:46 pm

I find the names much more memorable than Doepfer or Addac. With Doepfer, I've owned an LPG, one of the filters, the matrix mixer, the bitcrusher, a VC polarizer, and the "multicore" cable thing but I can't tell you what the numbers were without Google or Doepfer's own website. I do remember the PLL is A-196 though, but ask me again a year after I sell it and see...

I also don't think a bit of whimsy makes names any worse than others. Pamela's New Workout, Angle Grinder, Ornament and Crime, Zadar, Kermit, Braids... these do not tell you the module does. But sometimes there's a little bit of logic to it to help you make mnemonic associations. I find Noise Engineering's names pretty good in that respect, like most of Mutable's names.

Cursus Iteritas is an oscillator based on three different, uh, scary mathematical things. In fact, I would be perfectly happy if they had named it the Scary Mathematical Things. Certainly "Noise Engineering Fourier/Daubechies/Walsh Oscillator" or "FDWO" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I can easily remember "that cursed math stuff" though :hihi:

Basimilus: makes really great bass drums.

Manis: man is this a heavy sound!

Atarixic: atari noise.

Loquelic: it loquaciously "talks" a lot of sounds...

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Yep! Short of making the name the same as the function it's hard to know. Whether NE, Doepfer, MI, MN, etc. If I don't have it racked up or been doing research on it I generally have to look it up on modular grid to get the details.

Oh, and by the way... What the hell is a Cold Mac? :hihi:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Phitar wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:21 pm
Oh, and by the way... What the hell is a Cold Mac? :hihi:
Leftover pasta eaten straight from the fridge, which is considered a delicacy in some cultures.

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:04 pm

The names are slightly annoying when you're trying to find something specific. Their site isn't the best, either. Once you find the fucking module you want, they tend to be well-made and work nicely though. I do admit that I've missed NE modules in the past due to silly names, though. I suppose it's one of the lame affectations (like Make Noise panel design) which you have to just tolerate- it's not the end of the world if the modules are good.

Modular Grid's search is a lifesaver, though.

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:09 pm

I still cannot remember the modules I own.....
Love their stuff though..😎
"Drowning...................not waving!"

xntrk
Common Wiggler

Post by xntrk » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:16 pm

Agreed. I did just by mimetic digitalis today though... but yeah I have a really hard time telling there stuff apart. Their VCO panels look really similar to me as well.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 pm

I studied Latin, and I find the names kind of funny - what's the alternative? VCO1, VCO2, VCO3? That's essentially what the oscillators are.

What I really appreciate:

- I am always surprised by how cheap they are, especially since the digital ones often required years of development.
- The panels are solid, the knobs don't wobble.
- They do what they say they will do. No flaky programming or features that don't work properly.
- Despite the sometimes annoying graphics, they are generally pretty easy to use. Even something like mimetic digitalis can be worked pretty much without referring back to the manual. Try that with the Morphagene (which I love otherwise).
- They are different, innovative! Only a few of them do something that's already been done before. Even then, there will be a unique take on the traditional approach.

For those who don't like the panels - does grayscale do NE? If not, why not put up a petition?

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:21 pm

xntrk wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:16 pm
Agreed. I did just by mimetic digitalis today though... but yeah I have a really hard time telling there stuff apart. Their VCO panels look really similar to me as well.
That module is just amazing in terms of what it packs into a smallish panel - and it's still not difficult to use. Enjoy!

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 pm

NE is great and it’s very fun to say manis iteritas out loud haha

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:43 am

I find the names pretty cool. I like Latin and since they usually explain the meaning of the names, I'm completely fine with it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”