New Mutable Ripples

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Re: New Mutable Ripples

Post by gelabs » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:20 am

New toy :)

ripples.jpg
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:20 pm

That didn't take long. Also with a cameo of the new Shades.

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:59 pm

So LPF goes through VCA, but HP/BP always pass signal? That can be very useful.

strawberry
Common Wiggler

Post by strawberry » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Great news, welcome back

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:37 pm

was so happy MI was back but then I just read a comment by Emilie that after Ripples v2 there will be 3 final modules before she calls it quits forever :( She deserves to do what's happy and I of course support it but it's not exactly great news. Now the question is, will Clouds v2 be the final 3rd module or will that project never come to fruition

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Why was there a 1 star rating on modular grid for the new Ripples? I don't get it ... to my opinion this is at least as good as the MK1 and the second input and highpass is a great enhancement.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 pm

I know it's her 'standard' now for CV controls but not keen on the minipot for the Cutoff CV. It's something I am likely to wiggle. Plenty of room (on the panel at least) for a larger control, though may be not as nice aesthetically.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackBearDiner » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:50 am

Would it be a bad idea value-wise to get a used old Ripples for around 100€ now that the new is out?

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:29 am

BlackBearDiner wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:50 am
Would it be a bad idea value-wise to get a used old Ripples for around 100€ now that the new is out?
No :mrgreen: the MK1 is still very good! From what I see the prices there dropped for the leftover stock devices. So if you are fast enough you might also get a new MK1 with a good discount somewhere?

TechForze
Common Wiggler

Post by TechForze » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 am

tdallas wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:23 pm
Why was there a 1 star rating on modular grid for the new Ripples? I don't get it ... to my opinion this is at least as good as the MK1 and the second input and highpass is a great enhancement.
I bet it's someone disliking all the V2's being released.
Current racks / trade: ModularGrid

yhf
Common Wiggler

Post by yhf » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:24 pm

tdallas wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:29 am
BlackBearDiner wrote:
No :mrgreen: the MK1 is still very good! From what I see the prices there dropped for the leftover stock devices. So if you are fast enough you might also get a new MK1 with a good discount somewhere?
I agree. I just got a used MK1 and it sounds fantastic.

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:01 pm

tdallas wrote:
I've been using Modulargrid pretty much at least once a week since it's inception... and I never even knew there was a star based rating system. Do people actually use it as some sort of metric?
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:22 am

VanEck wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:01 pm
tdallas wrote:
I've been using Modulargrid pretty much at least once a week since it's inception... and I never even knew there was a star based rating system. Do people actually use it as some sort of metric?
I guess at least for the „top modules (rated by users)“ overview which seems to be sorted in a descending order based on the stars. But since you can‘t leave a comment with the rating (or l‘m too stupid to find it) this might be a little bit blurred. So there are sometimes bad ratings for no understandable reason, like the 1 star for Ripples MK2 here.

donpachi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by donpachi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:39 pm

If I remember correctly, I once accidentally tapped or clicked on the stars on the Modulargrid page of a module I do not even own and could not revoke that bogus rating. Similar random lumbering user problems with the interface could also be behind this %-)

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:48 am

any new Ripples reviews?

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 am

I bought one.

Haven't really put it through its paces yet but so far I really like it. Been using it on a bass patch. Clean, but with a definite character. Very 'classic' sounding - not like a Moog filter though, sounds quite 1980s to me in a good way.

The drive is... subtle. Don't expect it to scream. It's more of a subtle thickening/saturation.

Included VCA is really neat. Not something I'd ever have thought of but cuts down on cable mess and frees up another VCA.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Batumi, Samara

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 am

I've ordered one, I've not seen any reviews but I did watch DivKid's video. It'll be my third filter and first self-oscillating one. Pretty excited to use that for analogue kick drum duties as well as normal filtering. The built in VCA with compression sounds useful too.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:02 pm

BlackBearDiner wrote:
It always happens when a new version of something comes out, a lot of folk regard the predecessor as undesirable. I have a mk1 Ripples. It was a great filter when I bought it a few years back, and it still is a great filter now.

Go grab a bargain.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:34 am

muleskinner wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 am
I bought one.

Haven't really put it through its paces yet but so far I really like it. Been using it on a bass patch. Clean, but with a definite character. Very 'classic' sounding - not like a Moog filter though, sounds quite 1980s to me in a good way.

Included VCA is really neat. Not something I'd ever have thought of but cuts down on cable mess and frees up another VCA.
From the demos i have heard, Ripples mk2's character is essentially the same as mk1 - which is a good thing. To my ears it evokes classic Roland filters of that era.

The built in VCA is a great idea, and the mk1 had it too. TipTop Audio's Z2040 LPF also has this, and with the Z2040 you can (via jumpers on the rear panel) place the VCA before or after the filter stage.

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Heard about this today, watched the DivKid vid, bought it. I already have Mk1 and love it. Mk2 will be filter no. 7 in my system, along with 3x LPGs, a Sisters, a Wasp, and the Mk1 Ripples. Really love the sound of this new one and its feature, it may move towards the top of the pack, right next to one of the LPGs.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”