Did your Modular Grid go as planned?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Did your Modular Grid go as planned?

Post by MARK27 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:41 pm

For the sake of context, I started studying and using synthesizers in the early-mid 1980s. After 30 years of working around the limitations of hardware and software synthesizers (I could never have afforded modular back then), I finally decided that I would take the plunge into eurorack and slowly build the ultimate music making system that I would use for the rest of my life.

Modular Grid is a great tool, but for me, it never made sense as a way to plan purchases as it doesn't provide any sense of how modules might sound together. I think if VCV rack had existed when I was first starting out, I might well have used something like that to plan out my first batch of purchases.

I never used MG as a planning tool. When I made my initial jump into the abyss, I just bought a few modules that inspired me. When I ran into a limitation, I researched and purchased whatever module or modules that would fulfill the missing capabilities and remove the limitation. I think of my eurorack system as something that will grow and evolve forever, as opposed to building a predetermined system.

At this point, I have way more modules than I can power at once. Subsequently, I find MG very useful to maintain a reference of the modules that I have. Sometimes I can't remember if I still have a particular module stored away or if maybe I sold it at some point.

I also continually use MG as a way to reconfigure a given eurorack case within the constraints of its particular power supply. I am always moving modules around among my primary case, a couple of secondary cases and a couple of small testing skiffs.

I find Modular Grid to be a critical tool, it just never made sense as a planning tool for me.

:omg:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu May 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Modules I had disregarded came up on a great sale or modules I wanted wasn’t available when I wanted them. I also sold a few modules, like ten in total. So no, I didn’t get all of the modules I thought I would but most of them.
You go too high too early! Although the pattern represents a variety of objects to many cultures - a plow, wagon, coffin, skunk, camel, shark, canoe, bushel, sickle, even a hog's jaw. If the date was a dance, it'd be a tango. It wasn't romantic. Rise, red as the dawn. Ungodly and full of digital dirt. Make Noise 0-coast and Soulsby Atmegatron heavy.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu May 28, 2020 6:47 pm

I’ve only ever used modulargrid for rearranging modules I already own.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 pm

I came into this as a newbie and used Modulargrid, but without real knowledge or even feedback from others it kind of served as the ultimate GAS aid. It was fun, but other than arrangement, sizing things, power requirements, it simply can’t (alone) tell you what your rack will do or not do. That’s what this place is for. The two together can be helpful. It is probably asking too much, but if it were able to analyze your rack, almost like a stock portfolio app, to tell you things like, “you are low on modulation, not enough VCAs, need a quant...” based on some style preferences, that would be cool. In effect, capture some of the expertise so many get when posting their rack here. Now that I somewhat know what I am doing, or trying to do, it does help me think through new purchases. Paying the subscription is well worth it to me now. If you could somehow auto map this to VCV to get a similar virtual rack, that would be epic.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 pm

About a year ago I settled on an idea of what I want to be able to do in my system generally and have almost acquired a full rack for the first time in the 5 years of modular. Most modules I thought of as place holders if something that executes the function I desire better. I try to only be a few modules ahead of what I currently possess in order to curb over fetishizing potential system outcomes.
THUMPR BC SC

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Thu May 28, 2020 10:19 pm

moremagic wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 pm
my modulargrid went as fs/ft intended :miley:
I'm definitely in this camp. Especially when I first started, the used market really made a lot of decisions for me. Depending on what popped up, i'd research around it and be pretty flexible instead of resolutely saying I need "xyz" module and nothing else will do. Sure there were and still are some gotta have it modules but unless I rearranging my existing case, my modular grid is more like a vision board :roll:

greyscales
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greyscales » Fri May 29, 2020 8:32 am

I filled a Intellijel Palette based on a Modular Grid plan. Can’t see going much larger than that for planning though.

I find MG useful more for planning how to arrange what I have or checking to see if a new module will fit in the way I hope it will in my head. Often a MG plan gets changed in practice as the ergonomics change once you start patching.

subduct
Common Wiggler

Post by subduct » Fri May 29, 2020 9:11 am

I blame MG partly for starting to buy Euro modules. I spent loads of time on there designing systems from modules that sounded cool without having much clue what I was doing. Still do I guess!
Equally guilty are the Make Noise 0-coast and Dreadbox NYX (directly responsible for me getting my first module, a MATHS)

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri May 29, 2020 10:06 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 am
Because I benefit and enjoy MG so much, I’m a paying subscriber, and I hope you are too.
Yes, I am a paying subscriber. As such my frank answer to the thread title is:

When modulargrid.net is functioning properly, then yes, it is a good planning tool whose layout specs can be applied with success reliably. But when it is not functioning, as it is not now, then it is useless.

DCDanno
Common Wiggler

Post by DCDanno » Fri May 29, 2020 10:18 am

deke wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 pm
If you could somehow auto map this to VCV to get a similar virtual rack, that would be epic.
Yes, please!

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Fri May 29, 2020 12:18 pm

FatKingTubby wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:19 pm
moremagic wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 pm
my modulargrid went as fs/ft intended :miley:
I'm definitely in this camp. Especially when I first started, the used market really made a lot of decisions for me. Depending on what popped up, i'd research around it and be pretty flexible instead of resolutely saying I need "xyz" module and nothing else will do. Sure there were and still are some gotta have it modules but unless I rearranging my existing case, my modular grid is more like a vision board :roll:
yeah, this. this thread could easily be about whether your plan worked out. or did you have a plan? i don’t have a super focused plan, more like i need to solve an immediate need or i see something for a good price that’s bright and flashy and i can justify my interest as sort of fitting into my indistinct plan.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Fri May 29, 2020 12:20 pm

synonymist wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:06 am
But when it is not functioning, as it is not now, then it is useless.
sort of the minimum definition...

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri May 29, 2020 12:22 pm

chachi wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:20 pm
synonymist wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:06 am
But when it is not functioning, as it is not now, then it is useless.
sort of the minimum definition...
Only sort of? :)

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Fri May 29, 2020 8:50 pm

i like to allow for different tolerances.

mnchrme
Common Wiggler

Post by mnchrme » Sat May 30, 2020 8:13 am

That’s part of the fun. I have finished a case and already filled a second one up like 1/2. Some changes might come in the future for sure.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”