Did your Modular Grid go as planned?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Did your Modular Grid go as planned?

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed May 27, 2020 10:29 pm

Eurorack is truly an interesting beast. I was in the Serge/Buchla world for so long and was convinced that a single developers vision on a complete system was far superior than a disasterous case of various Eurorack modules. Now that I've been cautiously and carefully designing my own Eurorack system and only buying modules I'm reaching for but don't have, I'm finding that I'm being far more productive with Eurorack than I was with any other format.

One thing I've noticed however is that my Modular Grid that I spent hours and hours designing is constantly getting reshaped as time goes on. And even though my 15U/126HP case is half full it's definitely not looking like what I had carefully planned out on Modular Grid.

In my Sake induced haze I'm just curious if anyone at the beginning of their build put together a Modular Grid design and actually ignored temptation and brought it to completion. Anyone?

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Re: Did your Modular Grid go as planned?

Post by blaythe.steuer » Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Mine shifts constantly honestly. as i learn more i want different things haha

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 pm

my modulargrid went as fs/ft intended :miley:

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 pm

i bought exactly what my 9u told me.
but i made 7 iterations on MG over the coarse of 3 months :-)

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Wed May 27, 2020 11:09 pm

i came into euro after years of 5U , ModularGrid was instrumental (hawhaw) in helping me diagnose my needs for the new format cos i literally had no idea about anything other than 'PMed for maths'... now 6months after beginning i have a healthy system going on and can say most of the modules i ended up with are long term keepers (in as far as i can see their necessity in the case and that they get a shit tonne of use)... only a couple of utility style modules i could easily move on.

if i could say anythign definitive as it relates to MG its trying to decide on those last few modules that fill a case. thats where im gettin gthe most indecision. i build my own cases and have a 6U 147hp main case and just built a 3U 147hjp case to sit on top for drums/drone. Funnily the drum part is the bit that is probably the most daunting to me, i am a drummer foremost but never even contemplated modular for drums with my old 5U rig. Euro kinda shifted my perspective on percussion in for modular and its definitely more confounding trying to get a clear idea of the best voices/function/grouping/logic arrangement to pull the trigger on. theres a million ways to skin that cat it seems and MG for all its wonderful attributes only gives u so much of an idea.

other than that im on MG most nights using it as a module library for the most part and jsut seeing whats there. its such a great resource in one spot

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed May 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Yes but what I wanted changed.

At first I wanted some modules to hook up to semi modular synths so that was one MG rack. Then I wanted to make it a full voice and that was another. Then I wanted a system flexible enough for multiple voices so that was another rack. Now I’m back to a single voice plus drums via Basimilus Iteritas and a small fx rack. Got everything in a couple months ago as planned and haven’t wanted to swap anything since.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 am

I honestly find Modular Grid essential for planning stuff out and I subscribe each year to recognise that fact.

Generally it is an iterative process.

When I come to integrate a new module or two I will first try it in Modular Grid.

Sometimes I find that, physically, with because of something on the front panel or behind the panel, I have to shift stuff around. Once done, I always bring my Modular Grid iteration up to date with the physical version.

All that said, however, I do not use Modular Grid to explore what is available. I generally use this forum for that kind of stuff as well as keeping my eye on the handful of YouTube channels I subscribe to that evaluate and review the latest modules.

cierny_vlk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cierny_vlk » Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 am

My rack is turning out much differently than what I had first planned. As I began to build it, I often found that what I needed was different than what I thought I wanted. As I began to experiment with each new module, I would do more research on how I could use a combination of modules to achieve the results I was after. Now, I am getting the outcomes that I had initially hoped for, but with a much different module selection. Aside from that, I had not planned to add modular drums to my rack for a variety of reasons but I now have 104hp dedicated solely to drums and percussion sequencing. And I couldn't be happier.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu May 28, 2020 6:10 am

I sell and buy stuff like a stock broker, so no, it never goes to plan. The clue is to not plan too much, and never ever expect to have a finished system. This will just continue for as long as you can afford it, haha.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 am

I find that the location of the modules in my case changes versus what I had in MG - but the modules don't usually change unless they end up being a chore to use.

The location changes likely because of ergonomics - something that is usually hard to predict without use.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu May 28, 2020 6:27 am

edit
Last edited by droningspaghettimonster on Thu May 28, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 28, 2020 7:28 am

Looking back, ModularGrid plans have been a short-term, flexible thing. I've generally followed them, but then changed my mind and come up with a new plan, and then changed my mind as various whims and opportunities led me to.

So... sort of yes, and sort of no? This kind of planning is very iterative.

My overarching plans/goals for modular changed pretty radically a couple of times, so it makes sense that my more specific module plans have changed too.
Last edited by starthief on Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu May 28, 2020 7:31 am

mine has changed significantly over the years
mainly because it has expanded from a single case to 4 - probably 5 before the end of the year
and added video modules and modules that were not available prior to my initial case and DIY that I had no intention of getting into when I started
NB my initial plan was for 144hp - it's a lot more than that now
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 am

not even close. the only thing that I got right was the first buy xD

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 am

I didn’t begin with ModularGrid, although I was aware of it. (I began with a “complete”—HO HO HO—system from a single producer.)

However, I’ve been an avid MG user ever since. In addition to tracking what is new or doing research, I maintain a “conjecture” rack that holds a shifting cast of modules that interest me. It’s a glorified list, but it works great. I ultimately acquire few of the modules that pass through the conjecture rack, but I buy virtually no modules that do not.

I also maintain a representation of my current rack, and use MG to plan out any major reoganizations of my modules.

Because I benefit and enjoy MG so much, I’m a paying subscriber, and I hope you are too.
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Thu May 28, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SIN_formant_A1472V
Common Wiggler

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Thu May 28, 2020 7:57 am

I update mine to include modules that are actually available as I am planning, the one thing I know I have wanted since I started using ModularGrid were Noise Engineering oscillators/voices and that never changed.

Sometimes too, the 4 hp unit I wanted stops being made or is just out of stock so I'll get a 6 hp substitute and then it throws everything else off. Then I have to pick a couple new items to make room for the modules I know I really want.
Also, in practice, I am constantly swapping out different things, trying different combinations of different ocillators and cv generators and utilities, soooo, I have really just concluded that modular is sooooo organic that it's never going to be the same day in and day out.

Anyways, my modulargrid always has different racks that I would put together if there were thousands of dollars to just order everything right now. My wishlist includes modules for a 240 hp synthesizer, a mutant bassline machine, a set of assorted drums, and a tape music setup, kind of like the Make Noise system, but a mashup of ADDAC, Xaoc, and other modules I think might be more interesting than the Make Noise (they're sick, I just like the chaotic look and sound of devices that don't match at all).

It's a never ending love story, me and modular stuff. I'm addicted to buying modules. I need help.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am

Mine has gone exactly as planned every one of the 39 times I've redesigned it.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am

I generally keep one, public ModularGrid rack that reflects exactly what I own right now.

Then possibly one or more private racks that include preordered modules or possible divergent plans, to test fit etc. RIght now, the only difference between my "real" and "planned" rack includes modules I've paid for and waiting on (EMW FFB and E520).

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 am

At first I was doing tons of planning on it, felt like I spent more time at points researching modules, checking out public racks and tetris-ing things around than actually playing my damn modular. However as I generally got all my major targets crossed off the want-list I tapered off doing that, I guess that's the point where you're finally satisfied when you're not constantly trying to figure out "what's next what's next what's next."

So I guess it went as planned, but still, sometimes I'll stumble onto something that hadn't at all been in my ongoing rack plan and go "welp there it is, something I overlooked and don't have covered or represented, and now want more than anything else on my to-do list" in which case modulargrid is invaluable for its library of modules more than the planning. However for the planning it definitely helped me get off the ground and grow and grow and grow and I still update the racks on it every once in a while.

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by helix » Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 am

To be honest i have only used it to check how much power i#ve used up on my boards. And it's been handy to know that i've basically maxed out both sides of the 9U 168HP (two doepfer PSU2's) case with still a few HP left, so i should only really fill the rest up with passive mults or attenuators (which i need more of anyway really). That or i get a PSU3 and use one of the old psu2's to add an extra row.....

So yes, it's gone as planned! :hyper:

DCDanno
Common Wiggler

Post by DCDanno » Thu May 28, 2020 12:43 pm

moremagic wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 pm
my modulargrid went as fs/ft intended :miley:
Truth.

Spent a few months researching modules and relied on Modular Grid for much of the research and planning. But what I thought I needed and what I actually needed changed as I learned more, and consequently my MG plans changed often. Bought my first module last July, a great deal on a Mutable Streams on eBay. Not the one I had planned to buy first but I've been happy with it. Then I loosely followed my MG plan (moving target) as budget and deals allowed to fill 6U 84HP in about two months.

Now that case looks completely different and two cases have been added. I have 5 MG racks. Three represent real-world cases (that I change often) and two wishlist / if-I-hit-the-lottery, similar to what SIN_formant_A1472V does.

Kept forgetting to pay the annual fee, and this post got me to do it. Thanks synkrotron and mdoudoroff for the reminder.

malnourish
Common Wiggler

Post by malnourish » Thu May 28, 2020 12:50 pm

For the most part yes, but because I sometimes go to modular grid just to peruse or explore in my free time, it usually ends up in me discovering small things that could improve ergonomics or workflow.

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Post by Antlerface » Thu May 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Im just over 3 years into eurorack. I’ve had 5 different cases of different shapes and sizes. Always planned on MG, would fill a case and figure out something I missed or something I want. Sold a ton of modules, bought another load, rinse repeat.

Finally got a 15U 104hp case about a month ago and I’m really happy with it. Just enough to keep me interested without being overwhelmed. There’s space for future expansion if I desire by removing the m32/dfam/SubH combo but I’ve been having fun with everything.

MG is the shit and has taken some of the guesswork out of building cases
doomlove.

My Eurorack

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Thu May 28, 2020 1:41 pm

I've never put up a rack, I just use MG for research.
I sketch setups in a grid ruled steno book, primarily because so many of my modules are DIY.
Did it go as planned? Sort of, if you count modules labeled with question marks. Of course it's bigger than the first sketches suggest, but it wouldn't qualify as Eurorack if it wasn't.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 28, 2020 3:04 pm

FWIW you can add your own DIY modules to MG.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”